Vegas is acting...

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Well... not like Vegas. He turned 2 last month. Usually he is in such a routine same thing for ever. As soon as I come out of the bedroom he is standing waiting on me, He comes out of his crate, runs to inhale his breakfast, runs straight to the back door to go out, comes in follows me everywhere, plays with his toys then when he sees me come out of the bedroom with my uniform on he does go lay in his crate.

The last 5 days (yes I am keeping a record) I get up, he is sleeping, I go to the kitchen get his breakfast ready, he is sleeping, I call him, he slowly walks to the kitchen, he sniffs his food, ignores, drinks some water, goes back and lays down. I have to ask him if he is ready to go out and he goes to the back door and he does do his business while outside. Comes in and gets on the couch and sleeps, We have been up for 2.5 and he just now is finally in eating his breakfast.

He is not sick, his allergies are in control, I have not even had to give him a benadryl lately, he just seems to be sleeping more than he is awake. UNUSUAL behavior for him. I take him this Friday to the vet for his yearly check-up and shots. I know if I mention this Doc. is going to say he is a lazy bully, but again this is not normal behavior for him. He is not even following me from room to room.

I am just concerned, he usually is up more than he sleeps, what is happening to my shadow?? I can even go to the bathroom alone, and he does not follow me. Do you think he could be depressed? Nothing different has happened to change his normal pattern. What do you think??

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION]..while I was reading this I totally was thinking ..DEPRESSION...our Dena dog gets down in the dumps sometimes. Poor Vegas...maybe an extra walk for fresh air and/or a car ride..change of scenery!! Just maybe extra love! Awwwwww!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
So you are feeling lonely in the bathroom? ;)

Is this 'all of a sudden' kind of thing? Active one day, lazy the next?I think I would be concerned as you are. Wonder if you could get him in to the vet a few days early.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], yea, I am kind of thinking depression, it has been so stinking hot here with humidity it is like 100* outside, so no walks, I do try to play extra with him, but he is just wanting to sleep this last week. My house is kept very cool for two reasons 1. for him 2. my hot flashes, so I know he is comfortable inside. Then I think, well he is 2 so maybe it is normal for him to sleep more?? I am really concerned about the sudden change and I did notice the first couple of days but now we are on day 5 and he still is acting this way. I know my Doc. will do a good check up on him, but I also know he is not sick, his ears look great, he is eating eventually and drinks plenty of fresh water. I dont know why he would be depressed NOTHING has changed in his OCD life. Joe and I are getting along great, I feel good so I know he is not feeding off of me. I am just baffled.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], it is LONELY in the bathroom by myself!! :p Yes 6 days ago normal routine, last 5 days sleeps all the time. He is not acting sick. Just acting extra sleepy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would be concerned too. They do get lazy as they get older, but this pattern seems a bit unusual. When was his last allergy shot? Did he normally get them on a regular basis? Those usually have steroids in them so maybe it gave him a boost?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lucy-licious

I wish I had the answer for you but it does sound lke Vegas is down in the doldrums :hug2:
is there any special treat that would normally have him hopping :) just maybe to try perk him up a little.
I would also be very concerned and would be off to the vet pronto :)

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
If it were me I would ask my vet to do a blood test and parasite testing at his exam. That way it could rule out that there is anything medically wrong with him so you can stop worrying. If nothing is wrong then I would just say it's him getting older and being stuck outside because of the heat. He's hit adult hood so if he is stuck inside he will probably just opt to nap like my Samson does, he is getting too old to opt to get in trouble instead LOL I know Samson started calming down around 2 years old and then recently (5 years old) he has hit that fully LAZY adult bulldog.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It's strange because I almost posted something close to this topic on Linus. He has - in the past couple days - been turning up his nose at his food lately and seems to be tired, even when he wakes up from a good night's sleep.

Based on this thread, I'm thinking if he doesn't perk up, I might take him to the vet just to make sure nothing is wrong. Sometimes, especially with bulldogs - since they don't show pain, not eating or being really quiet are their signs something might be amiss.

Hopefully Vegas is feeling back to his old self soon...I'll be following this thread for updates!

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I would be concerned too. They do get lazy as they get older, but this pattern seems a bit unusual. When was his last allergy shot? Did he normally get them on a regular basis? Those usually have steroids in them so maybe it gave him a boost?

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], he gets his allergy shot religiously every 5 weeks, same time as anal glands, he is due this Friday so I dont think it is that, he had one 5 weeks ago. He has not had a benadryl in over a week, his allergies are actually pretty good right now. I don't think it is anything that needs immediate attention, I checked his ears and they are nice and clean, he is not itching more than usual, he has an appt. Friday. He will eat eventually he has not missed a meal, it just takes him longer to want to eat than normal, and drinks plenty of water. His potty habits are normal and normal poo. I never thought I would say this but I miss him being under foot and following me everywhere. He will have a full 2 yr. exam along with all his shots on Friday. I will tell the doc his sudden change in behavior, but I have a feeling he will just say normal bully laziness.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was thinking the Benedryl too.

[MENTION=2277]Suzy2[/MENTION] [MENTION=1950]goobers mom[/MENTION], he has not had benadryl in almost a week, so no.. that is not the change in him.

Last edited:

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Hmm...wow....maybe a combo of growing older and having to be inside so much when he is used to going out.Boredom maybe? I would definitely ask the vet to do some bloodwork to make sure things look normal. Can't hurt (well, maybe just a little). I hope he perks up and that nothing is going on with him!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Have you put your air conditioning on in your house yet?

The reason I ask is because I turned my air on this afternoon and it seemed to perk Linus up quite a bit. He just hates being hot. Maybe Vegas is the same way?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.