JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
For the past several weeks Wilson will wake up in the middle of the night, say around 11-1 panting heavily, not gasping though. It's happened about 6+ times now. Our room is very cool still, 66 and he's not near any heater vents. He's crated at night in a well-ventilated crate. My husband thinks he gets dehydrated. He drinks lots of water after his dinner meal but also plays hard with Jack in the evening. We try to curb the water intake around 8pm. We give him as much water as he wants when he wakes up panting and that seems to do it and back to sleep he goes.

Any ideas if that's it? He goes to the vet for his rabies this Saturday so I'll be asking him too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Wow..not sure about this..does he seemed stressed? I think for sure you should ask vet,seems weird that it wakes him up and he pants. Tell vet before he gets his vaccination. Just to make sure he is ok for shot.

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That makes sense, I personally allow them to drink right before bedtime. Maybe just give a certain amount at bedtime if you are still in potty training?

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Not stressed at all. I'll be sure to tell him before he gets his shots We've been allowing him to have as much water as he wants right before bedtime. He always seems very thirsty. We're making sure he gets water after play too I think he forgets that he needs some water. He's potty trained now thanks goodness.

I'll let you know what the vet says. It was very alarming when he first did it, and it's definately weird to me, never had a dog do this before.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@jeanneco..still happening? Does he have any different bedding in his crate? Was thinking maybe some weird allergy to fabric or something different he is exposed to at night. Will be waiting to hear.

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey Becky, it happened last night, we'll see if it happens tonight. He's had the exact same bedding since we brought him home. I'm inclined to think it's water but just not sure. He's my first Bulldog so I'm still learning tons.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@jeanneco..hmmm just thinking! Maybe he is just full of ****! Don't mean to be a smart a.. ! I just can't help myself. I really am wondering what is going on..wouldn't it be a kick if related to his " habit "?

Oooh..they censored me! I sid s...!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] You need to say ... :poo: ... or $hit .... :whistle:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Ohhhh ya...thanks[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION].. Not used to thinking about cussing..just usually flows so well! Lol

Don't worry .. it comes with practice ... :lol:

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@jeanneco..hmmm just thinking! Maybe he is just full of ****! Don't mean to be a smart a.. ! I just can't help myself. I really am wondering what is going on..wouldn't it be a kick if related to his " habit "?

Oooh..they censored me! I sid s...!
LOL Becky! You potty mouth you ;). Hopefully Dr. Tom has some answers on Sat. That'd be interesting if it was related, doubt is it, but....?

I found it funny when I was looking for the finger shaking smiley and found this one.....
sign0135.gif
That's cussing, lol.

Mod's I'm just playing around too :).

Last edited:

tonyjerry

Apr 13, 2011
our puppy does the same thing. hes 5 months old and started doing it a couple weeks ago. he never really started to pant at all until recently. he will do it right before bed when hes really relaxed and we are giving him nice massages and i will sometimes wake up and hear him doing it at night. i can see him just sitting there panting. he has no anxiety issues at all and we always let him drink water until bedtime. usually we just wait until he goes back to sleep but the other night he was up for what seemed to be a long time so we took him out and made him drink some water even though he didnt seem dehydrated. dont really have a good explanation but i can tell you that we are not too concerned with it.

Rosiesmom

Apr 3, 2011
Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
Rosie did the exact same thing when she was around 4-5 months old. We kept her in a crate at night, as we had since we'd gotten her. Nothing was new/changed. Just one night I woke up to hear her panting so hard that I panicked! I pulled her out of her crate and checked her from head to toe, she was fine! And a little surprised to see me in the middle of the night I might add. This happened several times over the next week or two before I had my *AHA* moment. I have horrible night sweats and hot flashes so I naturally assumed she was having the same thing. And I WAS RIGHT! I moved her to a much bigger crate and purchased a small fan. Every night I would turn the fan on and aim it right at her. I kept a small bowl of water in her crate in case she got dry-mouth:) She has never had another episode since! Not even once! Of course, after a month or so, she moved into our bed and sleeps on her side or on her back directly under the ceiling fan (and curled up against mommy:)). So I really believe that Rosies issue was heat related. I think she got into a deep sleep and over-heated herself. Try the fan thing, can't hurt! Just make sure the cord is hidden out of the way! Let us know what the vet says though!

OP
JeannieCO

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for all your experiences. Rosie, we're going to get Wilson his own fan for upstairs. Our room will eventually get very warm as the weather warms since it's the highest point in the house, even with the A/C on.

Wilson vet, Dr. Geiselhardt - a bully vet, said not to worry too much about his panting late at night. He opened up his mouth and Wilson's in full-blown teething mode and he said that's what's causing his panting during the middle of the night. He said to give him some ice cubes in his crate and he'll be good to go. That was very comforting to know. Chewing his teething bones at night also contribute to his heating up. Our old senior dog's head has always gotten hot when he chews his Nylabones and I thought about that yesterday. He's said that Wilson is looking fantastic and to keep up what I was doing with him :). Woot woot I'm a happy camper now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.