Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late night panting question

Default Re: Late night panting question

our puppy does the same thing. hes 5 months old and started doing it a couple weeks ago. he never really started to pant at all until recently. he will do it right before bed when hes really relaxed and we are giving him nice massages and i will sometimes wake up and hear him doing it at night. i can see him just sitting there panting. he has no anxiety issues at all and we always let him drink water until bedtime. usually we just wait until he goes back to sleep but the other night he was up for what seemed to be a long time so we took him out and made him drink some water even though he didnt seem dehydrated. dont really have a good explanation but i can tell you that we are not too concerned with it.

Real Name
    Kim W
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rosie aka Rosebud, Rosie Posie
    Likes (Received)

Rosie did the exact same thing when she was around 4-5 months old. We kept her in a crate at night, as we had since we'd gotten her. Nothing was new/changed. Just one night I woke up to hear her panting so hard that I panicked! I pulled her out of her crate and checked her from head to toe, she was fine! And a little surprised to see me in the middle of the night I might add. This happened several times over the next week or two before I had my *AHA* moment. I have horrible night sweats and hot flashes so I naturally assumed she was having the same thing. And I WAS RIGHT! I moved her to a much bigger crate and purchased a small fan. Every night I would turn the fan on and aim it right at her. I kept a small bowl of water in her crate in case she got dry-mouth She has never had another episode since! Not even once! Of course, after a month or so, she moved into our bed and sleeps on her side or on her back directly under the ceiling fan (and curled up against mommy). So I really believe that Rosies issue was heat related. I think she got into a deep sleep and over-heated herself. Try the fan thing, can't hurt! Just make sure the cord is hidden out of the way! Let us know what the vet says though!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." President Abraham Lincoln

Kim<3

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for all your experiences. Rosie, we're going to get Wilson his own fan for upstairs. Our room will eventually get very warm as the weather warms since it's the highest point in the house, even with the A/C on.

Wilson vet, Dr. Geiselhardt - a bully vet, said not to worry too much about his panting late at night. He opened up his mouth and Wilson's in full-blown teething mode and he said that's what's causing his panting during the middle of the night. He said to give him some ice cubes in his crate and he'll be good to go. That was very comforting to know. Chewing his teething bones at night also contribute to his heating up. Our old senior dog's head has always gotten hot when he chews his Nylabones and I thought about that yesterday. He's said that Wilson is looking fantastic and to keep up what I was doing with him . Woot woot I'm a happy camper now.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Oh yeah, he also said to give him 1/2 of a 81mg aspirin a/k/a children's aspirin.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well..now that we know sweet Wilson is ok...@jeanneco..I have a confession to make...EVERY time I see the title of this thread..my mind goes straight into the gutter. I mean REALLY??? Late night panting...Jeanne..I have had to bite my tongue FOREVER!!!!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

sarah does that to sometimes. wakes up panting till i get her cooled down. I also got a fan i point right at her spot on the bed. I have to turn on the air conditioner to when its hotter. I also have noticed that certain blankets I use on the bed will have her up panting till I cool her down. I find she sleeps best not on the blankets but right on the fitted sheet of the bed. Maybe change her bedding to a couple of sheets or something cool. Hope things get better but bullys pant sometimes. Good luck
    Last edited by cowsmom; 05-08-2011 at 09:31 AM.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..now that we know sweet Wilson is ok...@jeanneco..I have a confession to make...EVERY time I see the title of this thread..my mind goes straight into the gutter. I mean REALLY??? Late night panting...Jeanne..I have had to bite my tongue FOREVER!!!!
    LOL, I knew I liked ya, our minds are a like. Although I didn't think of that when I posted the tread title - too Funny Becky!!!
    I hope your tongue's ok

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieCO View Post
    LOL, I knew I liked ya, our minds are a like. Although I didn't think of that when I posted the tread title - too Funny Becky!!!
    I hope your tongue's ok
    Barely hanging by a thread! My mind AND my tongue!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads