Bulldog Behavior??

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
My bully is crazy. Well he is a puppy, 17 weeks old. I am getting real good with his schedule and mannerisms. But sometimes he goes wild, tears through the house (i thought EBs were supposed to be slow), he leaps, falls, jumps off of stuff that is way to high and plops, nothing seems to phase him. I am worrried he will get hurt. Right now I am trying to get my son (7 yrs) to not get him to riled up because my son looks like a walking scratch post. The family dynamic is neat, Bear treats me and hubby like parents and my son like a sibling and our other dog he just likes to antagonize to no end. There isn't a day or moment that goes by that he doesn't make us smile or laugh. And its funny, when he is done outside, hot or whatever, he just plops, lays down and is done, I literally have to carry him inside, he is so relaxed he doesn't try to move, he dangles, no tension in his body at all. Now while I guess this is normal but wanted to see if anyone else experiences/experienced something similar.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Aaaaaaaah yes, he seems to be acting like a puppy. Most people think bullies are lazy, but they usually don't get lazy until sometime after the first year. The only suggestion I have is to make sure he is not getting too much protein,(26% is more than enough for a bully). this can make him very energetic and grow too quickly.

Now, funny you say your son looks like a scratching post! This will probably be tough to try to get your boy not to get your bully so excited so that he will stop scratching him. I assume this is because he is getting jumped on?

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
horse has finally calmed down, and he's 4! our family dynamic is totally the same as yours, i'm the parent and my son is the sibling! when my son is crazy and energetic, horse is too. they get into trouble together all the time, but they also sleep together all cuddled up, so i guess its a good balance! so, hopefully yours calms down before the age of 4, good luck!

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear starts chasing my son and yes jumps up on him and he ends up getting scratched, he doesn't mean to do it. But then my son just keeps him riled up and they both have to be corrected :p

Our bully has fit in since day 1 with the family. When my husband is home (he travels alot for work), our little guy is attached to him, but he comes to me for food, water, go out, and when my husband can't hold him, he'll come to me for that. He does end up switching between us at night. I mean literally today he has been held most of the time. He reminds me so much of a human baby, lol.

Zenscarboncopy

Apr 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bulldog(s) Names
Zen Kingston
Zen is 3 years old and still acts like a maniac when it's "play time". He and Carbon (1 1/2 year old Frenchie) chase each other like crazy, around in circles, under the couch, for Carbon, over the couches, for Zen, in and out of the doggy door, jump up and down... They do this every night around 8:30, regardless of the number of walks that day or trips to the park. Their dad even runs them around the block, he rides the 50 and the boys literally run, nonstop, for roughly 20 minute sessions for an hour or so and they will still do their crazy chase me game. They are perfectly behaved in public but act like fools when they are home. My 13 year old son will wrestle with them, throw the toy with them, play hide and seek with them and they still have the energy to run around. Your bully may never outgrow it completely but it makes everyone smile and laugh so I figure it's good for all of us.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.