angry at my bully

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Think the guy's have already said it all. Bulldog's are super sensitive and will pick up on your daily mood, some of the behaviour could just be attention seeking. Sounds like you do need a break for yourself. Hope things work out.

BullyDogs

Oct 29, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sam
ok so i feel totally bad about posting this but..
my bully is on my nerves worse than ever! he'll be 3 in about two weeks and he doesn't do anything..seriously. he sleeps, eats, pees & poops. he doesn't play with my 3 yr old son, he doesn't play at all unless it's with his rope & he will only play for little bit then go lay back down. he sharts (yes, sharts) on the carpet, when he goes outside to pee he only pees a little at a time & then comes back in, he's hiked his leg 2x so far in the house (once on my bed & the other on my husbands workout bag) and he blows his snot all into the carpet, on the wall or onto my couch.
does anyone else's bulldog do any of this? i've been fine with it up until lately because it's like this every single day..my husband thinks i'm being "mean" but i'm a stay at home mom and we have another dog also. we have 1 car so it's not like i can leave and get away for a break when i want... :bang: i'm just so irritated! we're having him fixed in june before we take our trip home to Texas & i hope something changes with him as a result. we bought him from a breeder in California with papers for $2600 & right now i feel like he's a total waste. if it wouldn't upset my son & husband, i'd find him a new home. i love him but i just can't take this! on top of that, my husband is trying to go special forces (and if all goes as planned he will be deployed soon) so while he's gone i'll have to do this all alone. we want to add baby #2 to our family but how can i do that knowing i'm this stressed about small stuff..but the small stuff that happens everyday ends up being a big annoyance everyday. :crazy: help.

Well, first off... did you bother to teach him anything? Where to go maybe ? Just now my bulldog, came off her bed like someone lit a fire underneath it (I have the American version, all 93 lb and she is 7 - teach an old dog what to do is a challenge...) it seems she heard the toaster pop and that means very delicious toast with butter and a tiny bit of syrup on top usually about 10pm as a snack... obviously she knows ... she also comes running when called and is perfectly obedient, most of the time, due to being bulldog - they do have a mind of their own sometimes ... because I spent time to play with her, make learning a game and create things of dog interest for her ... a few months ago when I first got her, she had one interest, sleeping and her other interest was running away any chance she got ... quite a change to having that same dog now come look for me, come when called and be very interested in what the toaster has to offer and if she can have some... that is the key word - if she does what I want correctly cause I ask her nice and show her and listens good to sit before eating then she can have some ... see how it works? But you have to do the work to make that happen... and nicely making learning a game and fun is the only thing that works with bulldog - harsh or stern, shouting or scolding makes them deaf and forgetful instantly of anything they ever learned.

My dog knows she can go do her dog business by herself, but has to come find me right after, she can go watch horses by herself if she wants or go see what cat is doing, but chasing cat is off limits, laying on the grass to sleep or some exploring the yard is ok by herself, but if I call she has to come immediate, neighbor small dogs are not prey to chase , it's OK to lay and watch them and that is it ... she also knows words too: home dog, inside dog, outside dog, up, down, stay, car, sit, stay, wait, stop, go see, leaky dog, do dog business, this way and left, right and dinner as well as waters for drinking.

Quite a change to have a dog that went from no interest at all and running off to one that comes looking for me and wants to listen and now knows words in less than a year.

She has entertainment, catch the dog, tug a dog, squeaky chew toys to chase, a ball, Frisbee and just walks or trotting behind the bike plus car rides. She also gets a few treats, mint sticks, rawhide chew bones, pigs ears and pressed chew bones.

Bulldogs have allergies - when they are allergic their eyes run, they get lethargic and have no interest in anything, mostly caused by feeding only dry food. Bulldogs need lots of meat, try wet food with a handful of dry mixed in. Try a variety of samples of wet (small cans) to see what the dog likes, then try a variety of dry (small bags) to see what the dog likes. Pick what the dog likes and mix it. My dog likes no name beef stew and kibbles and bits, or old roy that makes gravy when mixed with water. Give bulldog some human food, just plain boiled rice is good to mix with wet food.
Boiled rice or potato, hamburger or canned tuna and mixed veggies is good, mix it with the wet and dry food. Add a scrambled egg once in a while. My pooch likes sour cream, so sometimes I make perogies, 1.77 a bag which makes a meal for both of us 4 times ... with sour cream on top or a slice of cheese in bits sprinkled over. Bulldogs also like peanut butter, give poochie the empty jar to clean out, cut the plastic jar in half so dog can get at it all and let him have fun. Give the empty butter container to dog to lick out. These things make life interesting for a bulldog.

My dog eats all of the above, plus pineapple, small bits of apple, sweet potato and bananna sometimes and occasionally has a slurp of Tim Horton coffee. If dog wants to eat poo... give them pineapple chunks - that prevents that. If dog has gas, give them a tablespoon of raw pumpkin in their dinner or with a bit of milk on top for taste so they will eat it, that prevents that.

Bulldogs drool for two reasons... one is that they are hungry, the other is that they have stress.
Bulldogs also shed fur very excessively if they have stress. If your dog is not shedding and not drooling at all, then all is well and the dog is happy and in good condition.
Stress in a dog is an odd thing, the surrounding people, hunger, no interesting things to do, not having a leader ... or just an unfamiliar situation of being told something and not understanding it.

The English Bulldog is a bit different than the American... they have wrinkles and they MUST be cleaned and bathed often to prevent skin infections. The face wrinkles and tail pocket if docked are important to keep clean. Exercise is also important - regularly and also daily - the English not so much as American, the larger ones should have at least an hour or two daily but moderately, they do tire easily, so run a bit and walk a bit and stop for rest a few times.

And if you are not prepared to do all the work it takes to keep a bulldog - then it's best not to have one.
Last but not least - "fixing" your dog is not going to magically and automatically solve any of the problems you mentioned. All you will have is a fixed dog that probably will be exactly the same dog you had before only now more docile and less inclined to do anything you want as a result.

When I read stuff like this "we bought him from a breeder in California with papers for $2600 & right now i feel like he's a total waste" I feel you are just a total waste - you have a very fine and valuable dog and treat it like a closet item that you bought in a store - you seem to have no idea at all that you have one of the best dogs there is and as a result, probably the dog will suffer for it.
It's my opinion such people should never have dogs and certainly never have bulldogs.

" he blows his snot all into the carpet," Yes because he is a bulldog and they have short noses and breathing problems .... so they do that, keep a towel handy to wipe him. I have a roll of paper towel in my truck and on my counter especially for dog whenever she gets the urge to sneeze all over... then it is wipe time. If you can't live with it then you need a different kind of "less cute expensive status symbol" type dog ... get a terrier or spaniel instead or a small poodle.

What did you expect? A dog that cost 2600 should know seven languages plus automatically everything you want him to do too with no effort on your part ?

Some other readers also hit the nail on the head - if the owner is stressed or not happy - then the dog reacts to that - bulldogs are particularly sensitive to that. The dog knows you are not happy with him and has no idea why - so that creates a huge stress for the dog.

My best advice is give the dog to someone that really enjoys and knows bulldogs and wants one.

Bubbles

Nov 22, 2015
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles (Buba) and Cammi
I am picking up my puppy this morning. Reading the majority of threads on this site has got me really nervious. I had a bull years ago with no issues or problems. Wow, anyway Bullydogs, most of what you wrote above has been very comfortating to me, thanks.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I am picking up my puppy this morning. Reading the majority of threads on this site has got me really nervious. I had a bull years ago with no issues or problems. Wow, anyway Bullydogs, most of what you wrote above has been very comfortating to me, thanks.
awe, don't be nervous. This is an old thread w/very opinionated bullie owners (we tend to obsess over our love for this breed - I do anyway :yes:) Reading this thread made me very sad! I was sad for the bulldog and sad for the owner…obviously not a bulldog person and may have not known just what to expect…the more people were ganging up on her, the worse I felt…when I first read her post, I was feeling all the things everyone wrote, but there was no need to beat it into her. I'm sure she got the point and probably did not come back on here for more advice (which is also sad). The most important thing when getting this breed of dog (or any) is reading as much about them ahead of time and even asking people who have one, what it's like and if it would be a good fit. It was my husband that got me interested…Bass was supposed to be his dog…NOPE :no: I'm completely smitten and in love!!! Not a breed for everyone, but if it's right for you, you will fit RIGHT in here :heart: Congrats on your new baby, I will look for pics - Welcome to EBN - please don't be scared, you're in great hands - and I won't let anyone bullie you lol - I'm not afraid to be loud and obnoxious if need be!! xo

Neil Gomes

Jul 16, 2015
Bay Area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi
We are just having a slight problem with our BD...she loves to go #2 in house !!! We take her out all the time she goes #1 what are we doing wrong?? she 9 months.

Neil Gomes

Jul 16, 2015
Bay Area California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi
I also forgot to mention that my wife has gone back to work. She was home with her for the first 7 months of her life 24/7. We had her 99% trained. But since she is gone all day, Brandi just goes whenever and wherever she likes. We let her outside to go and she comes back in and promptly will put one down right in front of us. Can somebody please help.

chopkins

Nov 15, 2013
Chicago, IL
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ernie
I also forgot to mention that my wife has gone back to work. She was home with her for the first 7 months of her life 24/7. We had her 99% trained. But since she is gone all day, Brandi just goes whenever and wherever she likes. We let her outside to go and she comes back in and promptly will put one down right in front of us. Can somebody please help.

Hi Neil,
Sorry that you are enduring this...My first thought is perhaps have a dog walker come around noon-1pm to take Brandi out? If you can't, perhaps go back to square one with a crate? I know that may sound harsh, but she needs to learn....good luck!

Brancholympia

Dec 4, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Branch, and Beethoven
How long before you noticed him not marking in the house anymore. We got our youngest neutered about a week ago and still having marking incidents in the house and he is swollen where his balls use to be that it still looks like he has them... I know this is an old post but I'm a bit at a loss on what to do about marking. I hope time will help

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Seems he is reacting to your wife not being at home.... changes to their environment will sometimes cause this type of regressive behavior -- go back to training basics with him, schedule is everything -- and as someone else suggested, a mid-day potty break. Our first Bulldog would #2 in the house every time we moved furniture around.... post up right in front of us and drop. Also, when you let her out -- go with her and do not come in till she poo and then reward the heck out of her when she is done... treat or lovin's

How long before you noticed him not marking in the house anymore. We got our youngest neutered about a week ago and still having marking incidents in the house and he is swollen where his balls use to be that it still looks like he has them... I know this is an old post but I'm a bit at a loss on what to do about marking. I hope time will help

Marking is a hard one.... you have to try and catch him in the act and then give a firm NO.... we used a spray bottle with water in it for our Frenchie... squirt to the side of the body or side of face with a firm NO, then took him outside immediately..... it took 2 yrs to fully break him of it

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
ok so i feel totally bad about posting this but..
my bully is on my nerves worse than ever! he'll be 3 in about two weeks and he doesn't do anything..seriously. he sleeps, eats, pees & poops. he doesn't play with my 3 yr old son, he doesn't play at all unless it's with his rope & he will only play for little bit then go lay back down. he sharts (yes, sharts) on the carpet, when he goes outside to pee he only pees a little at a time & then comes back in, he's hiked his leg 2x so far in the house (once on my bed & the other on my husbands workout bag) and he blows his snot all into the carpet, on the wall or onto my couch.
does anyone else's bulldog do any of this? i've been fine with it up until lately because it's like this every single day..my husband thinks i'm being "mean" but i'm a stay at home mom and we have another dog also. we have 1 car so it's not like i can leave and get away for a break when i want... :bang: i'm just so irritated! we're having him fixed in june before we take our trip home to Texas & i hope something changes with him as a result. we bought him from a breeder in California with papers for $2600 & right now i feel like he's a total waste. if it wouldn't upset my son & husband, i'd find him a new home. i love him but i just can't take this! on top of that, my husband is trying to go special forces (and if all goes as planned he will be deployed soon) so while he's gone i'll have to do this all alone. we want to add baby #2 to our family but how can i do that knowing i'm this stressed about small stuff..but the small stuff that happens everyday ends up being a big annoyance everyday. :crazy: help.

I myself reading your post was amazed I think you have the problem and the Bullie would be better of in another home they need to be loved not snarled upon.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
Well..I am going to wade in on this too. I am a new bully owner. This breed isn't the kind of dog you Get on the spur of the moment. I knew more about this kind of dog then my husband! You spent a lot of money and when you said you didn't think he was "worth it"..it broke my heart. What could you truly expect from him? He probably is less demanding of you than anyone in your life. You're right..they pee and poop and drool and eat and sleep..oh ya..and sleep some more. I bet your other dog does most of this too. I agree with someone before me..I bet his markings are in response to how you feel towards him. All dogs are very in tune to their humans..they feel your stress and anger. They feel your love and most of all they feel when you don't love them. I give you credit for being forthright about your feelings. I give you no credit for holding this or any dog in such low regard. I sense some real turmoil in your life and maybe it is easy to blame a drooling,slobbering,peeing,pooping,lazy ..but beautiful dog. After all, he can be sloughed off and the other problems will still be there. Be honest with yourself and if a new home is best for him..then find him a great loving home. I wish you peace and I wish Bodacious a new beginning..with you or a new family.

I have to agree with jakeisgreat... bulldogs aren't for everyone.. sounds like finding him someone that will love him like he is will be best for you both.. just be sure it is someone deserving please..

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Wow I thought I had problems. I can't get much work done in the house with my 7 month old but I'm putting it down to being a puppy. He follows me everywhere but I am slowly getting used to it. He eats everything has destroyed every toy he got for Christmas but I still love him.
Does your dog get out for a walk? I know this is the one activity my bulldog lives for every day he really enjoys outside.
You are being very honest and that is to be admired, I truly hope you can find a way to live with your dog he looks so cute.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
My Elmo sleeps all the time, he doesn't want to play, he will be 3 in July, but I Love Him, he is my Big Boy, no matter what he does I Love Him, I would not give him up for anything. I did a lot of research on Bulldogs before I got him, I knew he would be the way he is, No Problem, I Just Love My Bully Boy So Much.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i admit there are times i can't get anything done but it reminds me that things don't have to be done and life is to short to worry about it.. so i stop and play with my dogs.. i wouldn't have it any other way...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.