Bathing twice a week

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am by no means an expert..just saying that I for sure know john sons isn't any less harsh than a regular shampoo..except it won't burn your eyes. Most of us are concerned about that the most..when my kids were young(they would say..the dark ages)..we didn't have all the choices that are available now. There are tons of chemicals and detergents in our shampoos and everything we slather on. No one would know unless they were a chemist or had kids with super allergies. Your dogs might do perfectly fine with it..I bet most vets think like we do..if it's safe for babies, well then it's fine for dogs. After all..most vets recommend crappy dog food too! Just go with what works for you and your critters. I am positive there are plenty of baby shampoos that are chemical free and organic...that's what I would look for..not the baby part..just want to help..not complicate your lives!!

not at all, I find it interesting cuz you are right we dont know much except what we are told. Thanks for sharing the info. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I use earthborn ( I think?) from CPP and only use johnsons on the head. I use the scrub on their faces.

Casee

May 8, 2011
Tennessee
Bulldog(s) Names
Taser
Taser gets a bath at least once a week, he could use it twice because he starts stinkin'..lol

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It all depends on the individual. Whether it's a dog or a person. I am allergic to aloe so avoid all the products that have added it in recent years as the wonder soother.

For HRH we took someone's advice on here months ago and got Selsen Blue dandruff shampoo. It seems to work well on her. But I don't like the medicine smell. So we also use the Oster Oatmeal doggy shampoo after the Selsen blue to cut the smell. We haven't had any problems with the combo.

We did try a lavender no tears kid shampoo and that didn't seem to work so well. We noticed little red spots on her belly. So went back to Selsen blue and Oatmeal.

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
I had heard not to bathe them more than every other week, so that's what I've been doing... but she starts stinking before then. I use an oatmeal based shampoo from petsmart right now, and it seems to be okay. She's been scratching some lately, so I don't know if it's the shampoo or the detergent her bed cover is washed in, or what. After reading this post, I think I might try a new shampoo or combination and bathe once a week. My house smells like dog! :/

H

heff101

If Heff had it his way he would get a bath everyday.

He lovessssssss his baths.

If I am in the tub and he gets into the bathroom he wants to jump in with me.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
I use a oatmeal based shampoo and I bathe lex once a week. I have always done this and it doesn't bother his skin at all. Now in the winter I bathe about once to twice a month, cause winter drys out skin and plus it takes lex so long to dry and he shivers so bad. He doesn't like the hair dryer :(

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I used to do it with Delilah when she was a little puppy because she'd have accidents and get gross or she'd get nasty outside. She was fine, never had a problem. I used high quality oatmeal shampoo and no issues what so ever.

I bathe her every two weeks or so now. She handles it fine!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.