izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Do you think this is too much?

Stig's now going to daycare at least twice a week since my bf and I spend an hour less at home because we've begun carpooling to work. He plays around outside for more than half the the day since the weather is still nice and sometimes in the mud. So by the time he gets home he's one stinky dude. Do you think it's too much for his skin to bathe him twice a week? I've started using Carolina Pet Pantry's Earthbath shampoo with oatmeal and aloe.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm very good question!

When Molly got a skin infection I had to bathe her every other day for 2 weeks. The vet was concerned it would dry her out too much and make her itchy, which would be bad for the infection. The shampoo was medicated though.

He told me to rinse her with water that had a squirt of neutrogena bath oil in it. Worked great!

Daphne

Dec 31, 2010
daphne 645.jpg i bathe Daphne probably 3x a week because she rolls around in the black mud at the dog park....grrrrr
in this pic she is bathing herself in the doggy fountain on the way out of the dog park

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think you will only know by doing it because Im sure skin sensitivity varies widely. Getting him good and dry is important too but most important is a thorough inspection to be sure he is ok.

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Defenitely please let us know! Long ago I had always heard that you should never bath your dog more than once a month at most! Then I started doing research and found that a majority of different places had disproven this, but still reccomend only bathing as necessary. I've always wondered how often is too much being that we use a sensitive skin shampoo on Biggie. Granted, we never wash him more than once every 2 or 3 weeks since we've had him, he doesn't tend to need it. He goes to doggy daycare 4 days a week, but I guess that's the benefit of having his daycare at a Doggy spa.... lol

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think it should be ok if you are using a sensitive enough shampoo and maybe try the oil like desertsky suggested. You will know if his skin is too dry and then maybe cut back. I think so long as you are conditioning his skin and or fur somehow it should be ok.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I think if I were in your position that I personally would switch to a baby shampoo. We use Johnsons baby shampoo anyway, but I just figure that if it's safe to use on human babies every day then it must be safe to do the same on a furry baby!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think if I were in your position that I personally would switch to a baby shampoo. We use Johnsons baby shampoo anyway, but I just figure that if it's safe to use on human babies every day then it must be safe to do the same on a furry baby!

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]...hate to tell you this...but john sons baby shampoo is only safer for babies because they took out the ingredients that burns the eyes! My husband used to work for company that mfg shampoos and the like. Unbelievable what goes in these products. We still used it..lol..and our kids survived..but it's very astringent..we use an oatmeal based with aloe on Jake. Much gentler..but to treat dry skin you have to leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse like crazy. Hardest part is keeping Jake from drinking the water..so now we drain while it sits on him and rinse with pitcher and running water. Can use as often as you need to.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]...hate to tell you this...but john sons baby shampoo is only safer for babies because they took out the ingredients that burns the eyes! My husband used to work for company that mfg shampoos and the like. Unbelievable what goes in these products. We still used it..lol..and our kids survived..but it's very astringent..we use an oatmeal based with aloe on Jake. Much gentler..but to treat dry skin you have to leave it on for 10 minutes and rinse like crazy. Hardest part is keeping Jake from drinking the water..so now we drain while it sits on him and rinse with pitcher and running water. Can use as often as you need to.

WOW .... I had no idea, and a lot of bully owners on here are using the baby shampoos because they think it's gentle and safe. Obviously NOT! :eek:

OP
izstigspunks

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
WOW .... I had no idea, and a lot of bully owners on here are using the baby shampoos because they think it's gentle and safe. Obviously NOT! :eek:

Some vets do recommend it. I think mine did for a while until we had to switch to an oatmeal and aloe one because of Stig's allergies.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I know dog fur has a different ph balance than human hair. We always use dog shampoo we get from the vet. We bathe once a month during the summer but the dogs wade in a creek, river or lake daily!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is interesting and good to know. Course I have lots of johnsons baby shampoo between the boys and the girls. I know the aveeno baby works wonders on dry sensitive baby skin, I wonder if it is made better than j&j and would be ok?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
That is interesting and good to know. Course I have lots of johnsons baby shampoo between the boys and the girls. I know the aveeno baby works wonders on dry sensitive baby skin, I wonder if it is made better than j&j and would be ok?

I am by no means an expert..just saying that I for sure know john sons isn't any less harsh than a regular shampoo..except it won't burn your eyes. Most of us are concerned about that the most..when my kids were young(they would say..the dark ages)..we didn't have all the choices that are available now. There are tons of chemicals and detergents in our shampoos and everything we slather on. No one would know unless they were a chemist or had kids with super allergies. Your dogs might do perfectly fine with it..I bet most vets think like we do..if it's safe for babies, well then it's fine for dogs. After all..most vets recommend crappy dog food too! Just go with what works for you and your critters. I am positive there are plenty of baby shampoos that are chemical free and organic...that's what I would look for..not the baby part..just want to help..not complicate your lives!!

Erika

Apr 6, 2011
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess, Boss Lady P, P Dawg
I bathe Princes once a week. Sometimes she gets 2 baths in a week when its the summer and shes a little stinky! But her skin never drys out and she likes it. I can't think of the name of the shampoo, but I get it at Petsmart.

Erika and Princess

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.