Crate Issues

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Hey Everyone,

I have a year old bully male and ever since he was a puppy I have not been able to put a bed or blanket in his crate because he pees on it. I thought he would have grown out of this phase, but tried it a couple weeks ago and no luck. I just feel so bad that he sleeps in a hard crate with no bed. I tried just putting the bed in the living room out of the crate and he still pees on it. Is this normal? Just his preference? It's probably more just me thinking he's not comfy when he sleeps lol. Any sugguestions would be awesome...thanks so much!!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like he is marking it as his. And when you wash it, he can still smell the scent of the urine on it, and re-marks it.

I had the same problem with Molly for years. I felt so bad not giving her a bed. Finally after she was two I just gave her a blanket and she has not done it since. I have no idea why she stopped, she just did?

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Oh my -- I feel for you! I have no good advice. I too, have been feeling guilty because Busters is sleeping in his crate right now on a hard surface. It isn't because he pees on his bed though -- it is because he tears it to shreds and eats the stuffing! I will be curious to see what people say you should do. Also, whether or not they think it is uncomfy? I worry that Busters won't be comfortable. Those crate floors just look so hard! I wish I could do more to help, but I have no skills when it comes to training these guys!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am certainly not an expert..but I would not give Brutus anything in his crate to pee on! At least worth a try. I know you feel bad for him..but I bet he doesn't feel bad for you when he pees on his bunky!!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Have you tried making is crate smaller? Like only big enough for him to turn around in? Or does he pee no matter what?
Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

OP
NJBullyMommy

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
Have you tried making is crate smaller? Like only big enough for him to turn around in? Or does he pee no matter what?
Sent from my SGH-T959D using Tapatalk

It's no matter what...I've tried it all. I guess it's just no blanket or bed for him lol.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Daddy is the same. He pees on his blankets so I end up washing them every day, and I know I don't get the smell out completely. There have been days and nights when he's been in there and no pee at all. I just feel so guilty making him sleep with no blanket that I end up putting one back in there. I guess he's got me really well trained!!! :bang:

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Bruno did this all the time for his first year... I would throw something in his crate and he would pee on it. I tried leaving it oustside and he would pee on it.
He then started peeing on Gizmo's bed! out of spite. I forgot about it for about 3 months tried once again, and now he loves it and no more pee.

speechmom53

Feb 17, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubs
Tubs use to do that with his bedding. I think he will still do it with his blankets, but I haven't given him the blankets in a while. I have been able to put his bedding back in the kennel, but funny thing is, he will bunch it up and lay on the bottom of the kennel and la his head on the bedding. I wouldn't worry about him having bedding in there. They will sleep anywhere!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I have the same problem with Mr. Wilson. It seems like he's not happy till it smells like his peepee.:( Adding baking soda to the wash helps but it's really hard to get the smell completely out. Changing it to a blanket doesn't stop him from marking his bedding either. Have to even put BabyGirls bed away when not in use or he would pee that too! He really loves his bed though, so I wash it everyday. Lucky for me my washer is large enough for it.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
they are hard work at times arnt they,annie was a scent marker ,i use vet bed with a blanket underneath,so if she pees i wash the blanket thats undreneath as the pee soaks through the vet bedding and stays dry,then i wash the vetbed once a week with hibiscrus by hand,she hasnt scent marked for a while now but theres still time lol,karen

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
they are hard work at times arnt they,annie was a scent marker ,i use vet bed with a blanket underneath,so if she pees i wash the blanket thats undreneath as the pee soaks through the vet bedding and stays dry,then i wash the vetbed once a week with hibiscrus by hand,she hasnt scent marked for a while now but theres still time lol,karen

May I ask what is a Vetbed?

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Memphis pees in his crate regaurdless but he is just 3 months old... I bought cheap 2.00 towels to fold n put in there w him so when i see that he pees i pull it out n replace it. I started him without bedding but when he would pee, he would sit n lay in it requiring a bath but this way the towel soaks most of it up n i can sponge bathe him everyday n then a bath once a wk. I sure hope he grows out of this...

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
Forgot to mention something else I did that helped me with Bruno's crate training. My issue was that he would pee in his crate and wake up soaked in pee and his belly was all red and rashy.
His crate came with the plastic tray as most crates do. What I did was I drilled a bunch of small holes neatly in the tray.
I would fold old towels up on the bottom of the crate and then put the tray back in, on top of the towels.
When he would pee, the towel would soak up the pee through the holes in the crate and he would wake up dry :)
The other benefit to the towel being under the tray is that it would keep it a whole lot quieter and not make any noise when he moved in his crate at night and wake him up.

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Forgot to mention something else I did that helped me with Bruno's crate training. My issue was that he would pee in his crate and wake up soaked in pee and his belly was all red and rashy.
His crate came with the plastic tray as most crates do. What I did was I drilled a bunch of small holes neatly in the tray.
I would fold old towels up on the bottom of the crate and then put the tray back in, on top of the towels.
When he would pee, the towel would soak up the pee through the holes in the crate and he would wake up dry :)
The other benefit to the towel being under the tray is that it would keep it a whole lot quieter and not make any noise when he moved in his crate at night and wake him up.

What an amazing idea!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.