Newbie to the site and to Bulldogs!

Luther Bulldogski

Apr 24, 2011
Blackwood, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Luther
Hi everyone,

First time bulldog owner, Luther is 8 months old and I believe we got the biggest one of the liter!! He is somewhere close to 70 lbs. Not over weight just a big Bully! Anyway, we got a harness for him but he absolultly hates it and is miserable when we put it on him. He loves walks but will run away when I get the harness out and end up just using the collar.

I feel awful when he is on the collar although he does awesome on walks obviously he is a very strong dog and still pulls and jumps and today with family over he over did it and got choked a little. I have no idea what to do considering he really really hates the harness... Any other kind of collars out there or ideas? Thanks!

AWesome site by the way so excited to get going on it!!

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Wow!! you got your self a big boy there!! Welcome to you and Luther. What kind of harness do you have?? Matilda hated hers until I went and got another one. The one I got her was the one that goes around the shoulders. I think it is called a step in harness.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Welcome! Now, we expect pictures :).

I found a harness I love for Gator. It is a Gooby. They are also made of breathable materials and is soft and comfy.

L

Lucy-licious

When we first got Lucy's she wasn't so keen, but I told her mummy knows best sweety :lol:
I put that harness on and off we went for a walk in the woods she soon forgot she didn't like it :)
She still runs and hides when she sees it but that's because she hates walks not the harness :LMAO:

Hello and welcome to EBN by the way, and incase you forget! We love pictures :)

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Welcome and please post some photos!!!! You are definitely in the right place!!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing some pics of your "baby" since Luther still qualifies as a baby at 8 months, but might not look like one at 70 lbs.
HRH doesn't care to put her harness on, but she is fine once they are on. It's all we've ever used for her though so don't know how she'd do with a collar.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Welcome to EBN. He will eventually tolerate the harness.... don't give up. He needs to OBEY!.... yeah right LOL. Im dreaming. lol

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
It took Vegas a while to get use to the harness, but like you he would choke himself on a collar, it is so much easier to control with a harness. I found one and would just let him wear it around the house for a couple hours a day, now he knows the difference, If I bring the collar out it is to go potty, but the harness means bye-bye!!! Welcome to the site and yes I want to see pics of your big baby!!!

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
He will get used to it! Start slow. When you take the collar out give him a treat and say good boy, move the collar closer , treat/ good boy, touch him with it and treat/ good boy etc etc....Slow is the key to almost anything you want to teach your dog. Make it fun! Good luck and can't wait to see pictures!
Roanne

OP
L

Luther Bulldogski

Apr 24, 2011
Blackwood, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Luther
031811154714.jpg

Ok I am getting use to all of this a little now!!! Finally a picture for all that have asked. Here is Luther hating his harness actually!! He was so mad when we were on our walk that he actually laid down and wouldn't get up... we were still blocks from the house... I appreciate all the suggestions though I am going to keep working on him with it as I think it is definitley better than the choking collar. Thanks all!!! he is big but he is such a love and thinks he is a lap dog!! ha!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hello and welcome! I would suggest putting it on and off of him throughout the day and let him wear it for a half an hour in between. Each time you get it on successfully give him a yummy treat. After a few times he will know that putting that on means yummy treat, and he will gladly put it on! Good luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! He is such an adorable pup! Love his markings. ;) I was also thinking of the treats throughout the day. Every time you get the harness out he gets a treat and then when you put it on maybe even a better treat? Unless your boy is crazy and diff from the rest of the bullies, treats will work wonders. ;) We love pics so keep posting them. lol

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Welcome to EBN! Luther is a gorgeous big boy. :)

Most dogs aren't too keen on harnesses at first..my girl wasn't, for sure.

I can't tell from the picture..is that a step in harness? Those tend to be more comfortable for the dogs.

Like desertskybulldogs said...each time he wears it, give him a treat. Is he clicker trained? You can try clicking for him too whenever he wears it successfully. The key is positive reinforcement! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.