Behaviour Problems

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
For the most part Busters is an awesome dog! He is sweet, happy, nice, etc. I don't worry about him biting or growling or anything like that, but he has a couple of behaviours that I just can't seem to fix!
1. He chews EVERYTHING -- he just turned 1 a couple weeks ago. When we are home we watch him and when we are out we lock him in his cage. Sometimes I need to get stuff done so I put him in the back yard alone, rather than in his pen. While back there, he has basically destroyed our yard. He has chewed the door jambs, the stairs, the wiring for the underground sprinklers, our lawn furniture, the welcome mat, the fence, and all of my flower pots. I know you can buy that spray to deter them,but I can't spray every object and surface in the entire yard and house. I had company over last night. I put up a baby gate so he could still see us, but couldn't come in the room. So he chewed the stairs, the banister, and then went down into his pen and destroyed his pillow bed. (His pillow is a kong pillow, which is the only one that seems to last ---he's had it six months, and now it is ruined).
Speaking of this incident:
2. He pees when he gets mad at us. I took his pillow away because he wrecked it and was going to choke on the stuffing, and so he went into his pen with just a blanket and peed all over it (he is crate trained!).

3. We cannot leave ANYTHING out or he puts it in his mouth and won't give it back. Socks, shoes, clothes, toys, etc. I am pregnant -- how am I going to keep him from stealing the baby items without constantly locking him up???? Once I try to take something away he runs circles around me and thinks it's a game.

If he didn't have a mouth, he wouldn't be a problem!!! ha ha
Please give me advice!

PS one last problem, although this one isn't as big of a deal. When I try to take him for walks he lays down and refuses to move. I have to pick him up and put him back on his feet; pull him down the street; etc. He is getting to heavy for a pregnant woman to lift!

Anyway, clearly I have no skills! Please help!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
wow, you do have some issues. The chewing, at his age we know it isn't due to teething. I am baffled. I would just make sure he had lots toys and bones (not raw hides) for him to chew on. I knew of a childhood friend who had a giant Schnauzer that would even chew through 2x4's and fencing, so I guess some dogs just chew.

As far peeing issue. Sounds like a toddler thing to me, he is testing his boundaries. Just be very consistent with his punishments for other things, he will eventually get it and behave.

I wish I could be more help, I just don't have direct experience with this. Good Luck

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Yikes!!! The first thing I would do is get some obedience training for you and Busters; a small class so you and he can get some one-on-one attention. "Leave it" is an important command to work on. Also look into a doggie daycare where he can play with other dogs all day and not have time on his hands (paws) for destructive chewing. He will probably always look for contraband that he isn't supposed to have (socks, baby toys, etc) and play catch me if you can. Congratulations on the baby!!! Bulldogs love babies. They will share many good times together.

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks guys --- unfortunately, he already goes to doggy day care once per week, and that hasn't helped! Although it does tire him out! He was in doggy training as well and did learn the leave it command. He "leaves it" as long as I am right there telling him to leave it. As soon as I turn my back he grabs whatever it is! The doggy training did get cut short because he had to recover from cleft palate surgery, so maybe I should try that again before I have the baby! He is just so cute, but so bad!!!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Congratulations on the new baby!

Sorry this is happening! Training sounds like a good start. I am sure there are others that are knowledgeable about these sorts of things. Maybe for the chewing, try getting him some of those *crack* antlers or maybe he is bored? For the other things, Gator did think he was in charge for about two seconds once....but I am WAY more stubborn and bossy than he is ;)

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] -- but what are crack antlers? I have never heard of them. Where do you get them? He loves the bully sticks but the vet has suggested not giving them because they are long and she is scared he will jam it up into his palate, and make the hole worse! I don't know if I am that worried about that though because they seem to get quite soft and mushy with chewing!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Here is a link: River Dog Naturals Deer - Extra Large

We have not received ours yet, but a few people have commented on how much their bullies love them. They are deer antlers. Do a search of posts and put in deer antlers to see some reviews.

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
there's a trick i have used and recommended to several other members on here, and i think most of us have found success with it. take an empty aluminum can, put 4-7 pennies in there, and seal it with hot glue or super glue or whatever you have on hand. When you catch buster chewing on something inappropriate, shake the can hard and quickly. it should break his fixation on chewing and you can try to replace whatever it is with antlers, or a nylabone, or whatever he may like that is suitable for him. He sounds stubborn, like bullies are, so you'll really need to be consistent with the can. i would even make a few of them to keep in different rooms so you can correct his behavior quickly, wherever you are in the house. I really hope this helps, i had a bad chewer, but she was only like that during teething so i may be off base with buster. good luck to you though. just stick with it!

He sounds like he may be "high" energy and he releases it by chewing, but he could also expend this energy by walking, but he won't walk! and you definitely dont need to be lifting him with that new baby in your tummy. I could only suggest bribery to get him keen on walking. carry a small pouch of little bitty treats and make sure he can catch scent of them in your hand, one at a time, and treat him as he continues to walk with you. If you can get him to take longer walks you can treat more infrequently. Gosh i really hope this helps! keep us posted!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
its very difficult when the dog is a chewer mine will chew anything when not supervised and will scent mark her bedding,it seems she does these things for spite lol,so i know how you feel,the only 2 things that seem to have an effect on her is 1 a kong toy which i put away when shes being good so she sees the kong as a treat and 2 i use a water spray on her when shes chewing,shadow chasing or generally misbehaving,i use an empty cleaned out washing up bottle filled with water and i give her a quick squirt dirrected at her face its not done with force so it doesnt hurt her in any way,when i spray her i tell her to leave it but i dont use her name,now all i have to do is shake the bottle with the leave it command and she stops her naughty behaviour immediatly,i have taken to washing her bedding out by hand using hibiscrub and have noticed no scent marking for some time,good luck its hard i know ,hope he settles for you,karen

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
Sounds to me like he needs to be in a crate unless supervised 24/7 till you are sure he won't chew or eat anything he is not supposed to. Never use the crate as a punishment though as he will hate the crate. Give him a knuckle bone or kong filled with treats to let him know the crate is a great place to be. Dogs spend most of their times sleeping so this should not bother him. Take him out several times a day to do his business and to teach him not to chew on things he shouldn't be. Good luck with him and the new baby.
Roanne

Last edited by a moderator:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
You could also try squirting him with water every time you catch him chewing on something he's not supposed to have? And then quickly replacing it with something he can have. Give him lots of praise when he's chewing something that he should be chewing!

I've caught Delilah chewing wood before...some dogs. haha

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Thanks everyone! I will try these ideas. He does like his crate which is a good thing, but I don't want him to be stuck in it all the time when the baby comes! I guess I have 6 months to get him into shape!!! I might get a trainer to come to my house for a session or two to give me some ideas. I'd like to be able to put him outside and know that he won't wreck everything. I don't trust him in the house alone, but I like to give him some time outdoors -- I just don't have time to be with him out there constantly! I seriously think the real baby is going to be easier than the bully baby!!! But probably not as cute :)
A couple of you have mentioned the antlers. Do people generally find that they are safe and good for bulldogs? I agree with you [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] -- I think if I could tire him out with exercise it would really help matters! Tonight I played soccer with him and now he is laying beside me snoring away, like a good little bully!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
You have already gotten some great advice so I say go with that. Congrats on your baby! How far along? Details please? :D How exciting! Cutty was 3 when my daughter was first born so not the same situation but I was very worried about the pups with her toys and not understanding whos is whos. I pictured them stealing all her toys and destroying them. Turns out when it is a new toy they dont know whos it is yet so they want it but once they see that it is for the kids and has their smell and I tell them to leave it, they dont ever go back to it. Apparently the pups are much smarter than I had given credit in my mind. lol

OP
DeeDee

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
Oh boy! Busters' bed in his pen has a hole in it. It is the kong pillow, which is "indestructible" -- it is pretty good -- it lasted him about 6 months. So, anyway, I bought him a new bed last night at walmart, as there is no petsmart nearby, which is where I found the kong one. I bought the sturdiest one I could find, fabric-wise. I gave it to him last night, and this morning there was stuffing all over his pen and the bed is destroyed. I don't even think he was being bad.....he just lays and chews his bed while he sleeps. I have no idea how much of the stuffing he actually digested! Now I will have to keep him in his pen with no soft bed or pillow until I have time to make the 3 hour trip to the nearest petsmart!!! Does anyone else have any other brand of beds or pillows that can withstand chewing???
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], thanks for asking -- I am 12 weeks along and this is my first human baby!!! I am excited but nervous about Busters. I don't think he will be mean to the baby, but I have to keep him from jumping up on him/her, stealing toys, bottles, etc. I am a teacher so I have made a plan with myself to get him some training once school lets out. That will give me more time to focus on training him and doing what the trainer suggests! Oh Bustys!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Congrats again. ;) I just had my second baby so now I have a 2 1/2 yr and an almost 4 month old baby. Cutty is such a bull in a china shop that I was very worried too and he wanted to help be mommy which is cute but such a pain too. lol. We just kept both pups off the couch where we sat for the first couple days and let them sniff/lick their feet to get used to them. It is still hard to keep a crazy ball chasing cutty from stomping on the girls but it all worked out ok so far so I am sure it will be much easier than you think. I use a big play pen for a safe place to set Paige and know nobody can mess with her but now being my 2nd mostly I can trust the boys with her in a little bouncy chair on the floor next to them.

As for the bed I cant help much. Sorry. lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.