Help! Stella has a rash!

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
Stella was on pro-plan puppy food from the breeder and since we got her last sunday I have switched her over to Fromm Salmon a La Veg. On thursday she started with a rash on her belly, it is red bumpy but flat then it started on her chest and in her ears. She doesnt bother with it at all. I have given her a couple doses of benadryl but doesnt seem to make any difference. I did give her a bath on thursday with Johnson baby soap(thats what the breeder was using) Silva is on Fromm surf and turf. I am wondering if it is an allergy to the food or something outside?? I am going to the pet food store today but they dont carry Fromm, they order it for me so I was looking at the food recommendations on here and maybe might have to try a different brand of food?? Any suggestions, should I take her to the vet?? If I change foods how long till I see an improvement?? Thanks!!
This is her chest

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Belly

Ear

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Could it be your laundry detergent? I had to use a hypo-allergenic soap on all our clothes and bedding when we had Cass. She used to break out in bumps like that and just doses of benadryl wouldn't take care of it. She had to get a shot of it from the vet. Just a thought though.. you should call the vet. Could be something in the food also. I'd eliminate one thing at a time to see if you can pin point it. Poor little Stella! Hope it clears up for you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be laundry detergent/fabric softener. Is it on areas where she doesn't lay on? Under her fur where you cannot see it as much? Or is it only on her belly & ears?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would suspect that it's the detergent as well if the rash is mainly on her tummy and chest.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Was the bath before the rash? This looks exactly what a baby gets after bathing in something they can't handle. Weird that breeder used same shampoo. I would get an oatmeal colloidal shampoo..like aveeno ..and give her soaking bath. Dry her with towels washed in detergent with no perfumes or dyes. More benadryl. If no better I would go to vet. I think john sons baby shampoo is still plenty strong.

OP
Lacey28

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I dont think it is the laundry soap I use fragrance free because my daughter has skin issues. I am going to try the aveeno bath and if no better I am going take her to the vet! Thanks!

L

Lucy-licious

It looks terribly sore. I hope a fresh wash with the other shampoo helps :hug: for Stella poor baby xx

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
If it were me, I would take her to the vet and see if they can't do something to make it better. Then, I would consider washing her things in something else. I am wondering too if she lays on the floor. Maybe whatever you are using to clean the floor is irritating her? As far as the laundry, I do a second rinse cycle on the dog bedding and our towels to make sure all of the detergent is out. Might be worth a try.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
looks like the rash my bully has got,mines due to hormone change with being in season according to the vet,i use antihistemines and dermacton to cool the rash and stop her scratching,once her season has finished she should be back to normal,as stated use an oatmeal shampoo ,i also wash her bedding in hibiscrub by hand,hard work i know but i find it helps,hope you get ger sorted poor thing,karen

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
It did take several different tries with different hypo allergenic detergents. We could only use sun and earth. I would use others that were dye and fragrance free and she would still break out. Hope she's doing better tonight!

OP
Lacey28

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
I took her to the vet and he said it is dermatitis (sp?). He said puppies sometimes get it from adjustment to new environment. Since it is not itchy or bothering her it probably isnt her food or an allergy. She is on antibiotics for 10 days and it should clear up in 3! So we will see! Thanks everyone!

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
So glad you found out what it was! I swear we were at the vet more in Belly's first 3 months than we were for Cass most of her life!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I took her to the vet and he said it is dermatitis (sp?). He said puppies sometimes get it from adjustment to new environment. Since it is not itchy or bothering her it probably isnt her food or an allergy. She is on antibiotics for 10 days and it should clear up in 3! So we will see! Thanks everyone!

I didn't know that could happen. Hope she is better soon.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So glad you found out what could be causing it .... how is she today??

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.