Am I the only one with a super hyper bulldog?

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
:heart: the pics -he is a stud!!!! Mine is neutered... maybe that makes a difference. Someone mentioned doggie daycare and that is a good idea...maybe hell come home tired after doggie daycare Zzzz over here Pet Smart offers good deals! :p

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
hi @minjaelim and welcome to the site!

and I thought my 3month old bully was a wild one! Your Styggi sounds like a ball of energy. I find that my puppy gets these bursts of energy, runs around chasing his toys for about 30minutes at a time, and then poops out. The thing with Tate is, he fights sleeping; i can see him fighting off his closing eyelids b/c he just doesn't want to fall asleep. Maybe it's 'cuz he's still young and likes to play a lot still...i don't know. He also seems to get his 2nd wind at around 9 or 10pm (when I'm ready to sleep)! and crazily runs around my bed til he tires himself out and then finally, falls asleep.

Sorry i'm not much help to you but you started a great topic. I'm glad i'm not alone w/the energetic bullys!

OP
M

Min Jae Lim

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks for all the great tips everyone.

I play fetch with styggi while laying on my bed. He'll grab his toy and jump up on the bed and then play tug o war for a bit. Once I get a hold of his toy; I throw it back, and he jumps off the bed chasing it. Rinse and repeat.

He'll do this for a good hour until he loses interest.

Doggy daycare sounds like a great idea! I will definitely look into those.

Thanks everyone!

RoxiBear

Jan 12, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxi Bear
Wow! I'm glad my bully isn't the only HYPER one!!! She will go non-stop and I too have to hold her sometimes to get her to slow down. We go on play dates about once a week and the other bully is a total opposite of Roxi! Roxi runs circles around her! [MENTION=2259]Min Jae Lim[/MENTION] your Styggi is built a lot like my Roxi. She loves jumping too- which isn't always a good thing ( gotta watch for stress fractures and joint problems). I don't know if any other way to calm them down except play, play, play!!!:lol:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
He's so cute!

And Delilah can be very hyper as well. She's starting to calm down a little. But she just loves to run and run and run...so, we go to the dog park often. She's in awesome shape and loves to run and jump. She can jump almost five feet!! She's a freak bulldog. She's going to be starting agility next week :D

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Welcome! Loveeee the pictures:heart: Our Mocha has energy , but it comes in spurs. During that time she is bounces of the walls:lol:I wonder if getting him neuter would calm him a little??

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
i thought i was the only one with a hyper bulldog! glad to know this isnt the case. i take gregory to an indoor dog park that has playgroups at least once a week to drain the energy, and i walk him anywhere from 2 to 4 times a day. even a few short walks a day will help so much. if you get him to run he will burn the energy much faster then walking. We waiting til he was 14mths to have him fixed as per our vets recomendation ( he had to have soft palate surgery as well, so he wanted to do it all at once) i thought for sure he would slow down a little, so not the case. Good luck!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
i thought i was the only one with a hyper bulldog! glad to know this isnt the case. i take gregory to an indoor dog park that has playgroups at least once a week to drain the energy, and i walk him anywhere from 2 to 4 times a day. even a few short walks a day will help so much. if you get him to run he will burn the energy much faster then walking. We waiting til he was 14mths to have him fixed as per our vets recomendation ( he had to have soft palate surgery as well, so he wanted to do it all at once) i thought for sure he would slow down a little, so not the case. Good luck!

May i ask where the indoor dog park is? We're reluctant to take Stig to a dog park but an indoor one sounds interesting.

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
its called doggy central its on the border of etobicoke and mississauga. its so great, they have open play (which is any sized dog) sunday, tuesday, thursday and saturday. They also have daycare gregory just started going once a week. But yes its wonderful it costs 10$ to get in but you have to show proof of vaccination/ heartworm flee prevention to be able to get in. As well is there is a attendant there to make sure everyone is behaving well and she plays with them and gives tips on socializing. We should be there this tuesday, if you happen to stop by.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome I just LOVE him! We also had that hyper boy. When we got a bully we expected the sleepy, mellow, lazy boy but were surprised he was a crazy one too. Now at 5 years old he is more mellow and does sleep a lot but if he sees that ball come out watch out! haha

Grace Exline

Mar 25, 2011
Southeastern, Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoe, Brutus, Jack, Lucy
Lucy turned 3 in December and she is still a very hyper bullie. She goes non-stop and we haven't found anything that wears her out. Even the day she got herself way overheated and it took me close to an hour to get her temp back down, once her temp was normal again off she went back to her little hellian self.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
.. for those of you who have wondered if your hyper-active bully will calm down once they've been neutered or spayed. Well, in daddy's case ...it's a big fat NO!!!!! :bang::bang::bang::bang:

NJBullyMommy

Apr 20, 2011
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (Bruty, Bru Bru, Brutus Maximus)
You are not alone!!!! We just had our year old male, Brutus, fixed 2 weeks ago because he was so hyper and starting to mark in the house. Getting him fixed did not change anything except the marking lol. He's still on and off the couch, up and down the stairs and on and off the bed. I take him for walks and he's tired after, but will just not lay down and sleep. When he does sleep it's for about 3 min at a time and then he has to go investigate all the noises in the house. The only time he really sleeps is at night or when we go out and he's in his crate just like your Styggi. If you find anything that works...please let me know too :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I too have the very rambunctious and adventureous bully and Wilson's only 4 months. He seems to have endless energy once he gets going. He's also not the cuddly puppy bully.

Love the Red Bull nickname too :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
its called doggy central its on the border of etobicoke and mississauga. its so great, they have open play (which is any sized dog) sunday, tuesday, thursday and saturday. They also have daycare gregory just started going once a week. But yes its wonderful it costs 10$ to get in but you have to show proof of vaccination/ heartworm flee prevention to be able to get in. As well is there is a attendant there to make sure everyone is behaving well and she plays with them and gives tips on socializing. We should be there this tuesday, if you happen to stop by.

Looked at their site and it sounds like an amazing place. Too bad it's too far from me, especially on weeknights. I live in the durham area unfortunately. Are there any other bullies there? I've only seen two in my area so far. I don't know if they're just not popular or everyone's hiding them and keeping them home. =)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.