Am I the only one with a super hyper bulldog?

Min Jae Lim

Apr 21, 2011
Hi everyone. This is m first time posting here.
I just have a few questions about my 9 month old bulldog named styggi.
He's a non neutered male with endless energy. He only sleeps when he is in his crate. He is in his crate when my wife and I are sleeping or not home. My wife doesn't work so hes out of his crate most of the day.

My wife walks him to the beach daily for at least an hour. Yet, he still drives my wife crazy. Whenever I get home, all he wants to do is play fetch. He also jumps up on our bed (the bed is atleast 2 feet high).

Is there something else we should try to wear him out? Or should I just quit and change his name to red bull?

Thanks for the help.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2259]Min Jae Lim[/MENTION]

Red Bull!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's hilarious!! :lol:

WELCOME TO MY WORLD!!!

I have two bulldogs. My first one is now 3 years old and is this cute little butterball of a thing that just waddles around .. that's Maggie. Daddy is 8 months and a totally different shape ... the long bodied type. He runs, he jumps, he bounces off the fricking walls!!!! Maggie is the couch potato. Right now the whole family (including my other dogs) are praying for the day when Daddy too will turn into the "typical" bulldog lounge lizard.

I'm no help at all .......... but YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! :yes::yes::yes::*(:*(:eek:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Hi there welcome to the site! What a coincidence because my bulldog is also named Stiggy, registered as 'The Stig'. May I ask who you named him after? My Stig's name was from a british car show that's a fave of my bf's.

My Stig can also be high energy at times. During the days when I feel my bf and I aren't enough to out-energize him, we let him attend a local doggie daycare for the day. After playing all they long with other dogs, he's pretty much pooped when he gets home. So far he's only been going once a week, but we're planning to increase it to at least 2 days a week now because of a schedule change.

Other ideas may be to go to a dog park or have a doggy date with a friend or neighbour.

@sheshistory 's Truman is also a hyperactive almost 1-year-old bully. lol. He recently joined a daycare as well and goes about twice a week. If you do a search on the topic, you'll be able to find a couple of videos of the one he goes to.

Last edited:

patricia

Apr 8, 2011
Caguas, Puerto Rico
Bulldog(s) Names
Kairos
wow!!! I have a bully that is 2 years old now... I got him when he was 6 weeks old. As a puppy he had more energy(normal, not too much) but he outgrew that stage (he was never as energetic as yours :confused: ). After he turned one his energy levels are the "normal" ones stated by most bulldog owners. He has 3-4 play outburst daily where he will bring us a toy to play fetch and these will last for about 10-15 minutes... after those he will "NAP" Zzzz !! He is alone for 6-7 hours a day at home, he has plenty bully safe toys & a couple of beds so he can decide if he wants to play or nap.
I dont know what to say or if it normal for him to be so hyper, my bully would have died with the one hour walk :crazy:
Are you sure he is an ENGLISH bulldog???

OP
M

Min Jae Lim

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks for the tips. We let him play with the other dogs on the beach, but most other dogs get aggressive with him for some reason. The only dogs we let him play with are smaller ones who can't really harm him.

And yes, we named him after the British car driver on top gear hehe. I've watched that show for years and I've been naming every pet I have "styggi".

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi..welcome..loved your post!! My Jake is very energetic..will play fetch for hours and can't get enough walks..but he does sleep in between. Does your stymie play keep away from you with the ball? Ours does and the sad part is...he wins!! Welcome to the site. You will love it here.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
@Min Jae Lim - Oh wow, now I have to let my bf know! Don't mean to be a bugger, but would you be able to post some pics of him? You've got me really curious. There's about a 101% chance that someone else here will ask too. :)

Back to the topic, I find that the doggie daycare works wonders. The one Stig goes to is very reasonably priced and even has a deal if he goes at least 3 times a week. I feel that he's also learned proper social etiquette because the owner is educated in doggy training as well. Whenever he meets new dogs, he's in his best behaviour. Never jumps or gets super excited.

Another not-so-reasonable but almost guaranteed to work tip is to get another pup. :p

Last edited:
OP
M

Min Jae Lim

Apr 21, 2011
d741521d.jpg

Here he is in one of his rare calm moments.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
OMG he is soooo cute!!! My bully is 14 months and not neutered. He is a nutcase and a jumper. He does do his part of sleeping but man when he is awake it is a constant battle to keep him acting right. Sometimes I have to sit and hold him to calm him down. And here I thought EBs were supposed to be lazy, lol. I feel your wife's pain, I too am home with mine and he drives me nuts.

L

Lucy-licious

Hi there and welcome, I'm sorry I am no help I am lucky to have a typical bulldog :)
Although she does very occasionally get freaky and bounces off the Walls but that only lasts maybe 30 mins tops,
Before she collapses in a tired out bundle and sleeps it off :lol:
Your styggi is a cool handsome dude by the way and I am surprised you got to post 7 before you were asked for pictures :lol:
We love pics, we love stories and we love videos even more...Welcome to EBN xx

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Welcome! Your little Styggi is adorable!! I think it's just luck (or unluck) of the draw... Our first bully Cass was very low energy.. she got a few bursts of energy playing, then that was it. She slept or lounged out in the sun. Our new baby Belly we say could be the next agility champion...piggy runs through the house...bouncing off the walls and bed,tearing through the yard.. She's only 5 months old and not yet spayed...hoping she'll settle down atleast by a year old *sigh*

Another Top Gear fan here :up:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Welcome! Styggi is adorable! Hope to see lots more pics and stories about him.

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
HI! We too have one VERY HYPER bully baby. She is 4 years old, and has just begun to slow down (just a little). We found that the best way to wear her out is to play with a laser light ... We run the laser light on the floor - in the yard, up the stairs, down the stairs around the furniture....and she just chases it and chases it until she gets tired.. and then sleeps for hours.... it's great exercise for her too! Our other two like the laser light, but they are a little lazy and give up after a couple of laps....
:heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.