Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 2nd bully ?

  1. #1
    Kennel Cleaner ladywebb's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    80
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert
    Likes (Received)
    132

    Default 2nd bully ?

    ok...We possibly have an opportunity to get another EBD. He is 4 yrs. old and healthy (as far as I know). Person who has him says he doesn't have the time for all his needs (assuming just daily maintenance). That is the extent of info I have at the present time. I will be talking to the owners father (husbands co-worker) later and asking questions. My question here is....Is it a good idea? Gilbert just turned 7mos., he is our first bully. We/he is pretty much in a routine and did well on the potty training. I guess I am afraid of introducing a new dog (an older dog) and not sure what his habits are if it will make Gilbert take a step back with all his progress. Will Gilbert be jealous? I believe the other bully does live with another dog at the present time. Obviously we would need to have a meet and greet between the two to even make sure they would be compatible. Is a boy/boy combo a good idea?

    Thanks!

  2. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  3. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,670
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17763

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    At 7 months, he might regress but it would not necessarily be because of a second dog. Some dogs do that around 10 months anyway. Male/male is doable, as long as you set limitations and establish you are alpha with them. Female/female can be more difficult.

    slow introduction on neutral ground is best.... we did a full week when we brought in Chelios 8 months to be with Banks 6 years at the time. Banks was not a dog friendly girl, but the slow introduction worked very well
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  4. #3
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    11,377
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13790

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    That’s the million dollar question. Like Christine said take a good weekish one on one. I got Jake at 2.5y/o, Nyala’s 15months older than Jake. Nyala was use to Duke my previous EB who was 3ish months old when we brought him home. She raised him. When he passed, we visited the breeder n Nyala went straight to Jake n didn’t leave his side. Breeders dogs are outside in big runs. Out of the whole bunch of dogs she sat other side of the run of Jake. Jake is the real blood brother of Duke. Nyala knew that. So anyhooo we brought him home. All was great at the breeder n on the long drive home like long time buddies. But, yes a but.... for 2-3 months the fights I had to split up n never leave them on their own type thingy, wasn’t funny. I got bitten a few times. Both would look at each other n whamm fight. After a couple fights I realized it started with the stares. Would fight over a toy, bone, food just name it. Took months of training n being on their butts non stop. Couple yrs I have Jake now n they are best buddies. That being said, 2 weeks ago they did have a fight over a bone. If I had to go out Jake would be in the kennel locked up. That was for safety purpose.

    Dogs are dogs, they probably will fight a few times even if you raised them as pups. You absolutely need to be there to supervise for the first few months.

  5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  6. #4
    Pooper scooper Mechadogzilla's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    27
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hugo(English Bulldog) and Hans(Rottweiler)
    Likes (Received)
    43

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    I wouldn’t let the boy/boy scare you away. I really believe it depends on the personality of the individual dog. I had two male Frenchies at the same time in the past and currently have two male dogs (one of which we just got). I think the older dog having been living with another dog will help. It is a lot of work though. Both dogs, not just the new addition, will need more attention than usual for awhile. In a few months though, it should pay off. I have always enjoyed having two dogs. Good luck.

  7. Likes 2BullyMama, ddnene, helsonwheels, ladywebb liked this post
  8. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,670
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17763

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Forgot to mention... I have two males now and they get along great. Chelios was 3 when we got Lambeau.... they do not cuddle but they play fantastic together.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. Likes helsonwheels liked this post
  10. #6
    Pet Sitter tigertanktoo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christopher
    Country
    United States
    Location
    SW Georgia
    Posts
    358
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gabe - EBD 5 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 13 yrs old
    Likes (Received)
    561

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladywebb View Post
    ok...We possibly have an opportunity to get another EBD. Is a boy/boy combo a good idea? Thanks!
    Absolutely. Our bulldog pup Gabe was raised by Charlie our Cockerspaniel. Charlie when he was a pup was raised by our then older Boston Terrier male Bandit. Be patient and see.
    -charlie-gabe2-jpg -charlie-gabe4-jpg

  11. #7
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,670
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17763

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigertanktoo View Post
    Absolutely. Our bulldog pup Gabe was raised by Charlie our Cockerspaniel. Charlie when he was a pup was raised by our then older Boston Terrier male Bandit. Be patient and see.
    -charlie-gabe2-jpg -charlie-gabe4-jpg
    Wonderful pictures!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. Likes tigertanktoo liked this post
  13. #8
    Kennel Cleaner ladywebb's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    80
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert
    Likes (Received)
    132

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    That’s the million dollar question. Like Christine said take a good weekish one on one. I got Jake at 2.5y/o, Nyala’s 15months older than Jake. Nyala was use to Duke my previous EB who was 3ish months old when we brought him home. She raised him. When he passed, we visited the breeder n Nyala went straight to Jake n didn’t leave his side. Breeders dogs are outside in big runs. Out of the whole bunch of dogs she sat other side of the run of Jake. Jake is the real blood brother of Duke. Nyala knew that. So anyhooo we brought him home. All was great at the breeder n on the long drive home like long time buddies. But, yes a but.... for 2-3 months the fights I had to split up n never leave them on their own type thingy, wasn’t funny. I got bitten a few times. Both would look at each other n whamm fight. After a couple fights I realized it started with the stares. Would fight over a toy, bone, food just name it. Took months of training n being on their butts non stop. Couple yrs I have Jake now n they are best buddies. That being said, 2 weeks ago they did have a fight over a bone. If I had to go out Jake would be in the kennel locked up. That was for safety purpose.

    Dogs are dogs, they probably will fight a few times even if you raised them as pups. You absolutely need to be there to supervise for the first few months.
    Such a sweet story! She knew who she wanted by her side

  14. Likes tigertanktoo, helsonwheels liked this post
  15. #9
    Kennel Cleaner ladywebb's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    80
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert
    Likes (Received)
    132

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Well, like usual..lol..,my husband didn't listen (or was just misinformed)..the dog in question is a 1 1/2 yr old unaltered female (not a 4yr old male..lol). Owner has covid so unable to meet her for awhile...which gives us more time to think about if we want to add a 2nd dog or not. Thanks to all for the responses.

  16. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    46,670
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    17763

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladywebb View Post
    Well, like usual..lol..,my husband didn't listen (or was just misinformed)..the dog in question is a 1 1/2 yr old unaltered female (not a 4yr old male..lol). Owner has covid so unable to meet her for awhile...which gives us more time to think about if we want to add a 2nd dog or not. Thanks to all for the responses.



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. Likes helsonwheels, ladywebb liked this post
  18. #11
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    11,377
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    13790

    Default Re: 2nd bully ?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladywebb View Post
    Well, like usual..lol..,my husband didn't listen (or was just misinformed)..the dog in question is a 1 1/2 yr old unaltered female (not a 4yr old male..lol). Owner has covid so unable to meet her for awhile...which gives us more time to think about if we want to add a 2nd dog or not. Thanks to all for the responses.
    Like usual? Noooo

    They will enjoy each other cause of their age. You’ll have 2 young active brats. Perfect age.

  19. Likes ladywebb liked this post

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •