I've had enough

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
:please: Does anyone know if there is some smart stuff that I can spray on my door step to deter passing dogs from leaving their poop there?

This has become absolutely crazy. It is mandatory to pick up after your dog here and 99 per cent of dog owners do that without a problem. However, there seems to be one dog owner who lets their dog poop right outside our door. Our house sits right on the street and we have a rosebush and some flowers next to the door. Now crocuses are emerging which looks great apart from the fact that there is poop next to the flowers. Again. Or on the steps. Again.

Castor never ever pees there but I suspect the dog who chooses our doorstep must scent that Castor lives here. There are several houses, but our door step is the only one under attack (and Castor is the only dog along this part of the street). I'm no poop detective but it looks like the same (small) dog has been here several times. Neither Castor nor we humans have any problems with anyone, so I don't think this is a case of someone being nasty to us. However, there are some small dogs in town that bark like mad as soon as they see Castor, so I suspect that some sloppy dog owner lets their dog sit down here.

As we cannot watch the window all day (and night - we suspect this is a nocturnal activity), our option is to either put up a sign or to find something that can act as a deterrent. I really don't want to put up a sign as that only attracts attention (we're right in the middle of town and want to keep a low profile) so would prefer to spray something that dogs find horrible but humans don't notice. Is there such a thing?

Any smart solutions, please?

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Sorry I can’t help with a solution but I really do sympathise with you! :hellno::cursing::nonono::tapfoot:

Exactly the same thing happens outside our house and unfortunately it is in a place that is not covered by our security camera!

I really don’t understand what they are thinking? They must think some kind of “poop fairy” turns up to clear away there mess so it is nice and clean for next time there dog is there!!! :aaargh:

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Hidden camera so you can find out WHO it is and maybe talk to the owners? I don't know of any spray to keep dogs from pooping, but since they sniff before they poop... maybe sprinkle some cayenne Pepper in that area?

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
OMG that is more than annoying and disrespectful to say the least! RUDE!!! You could temporarily place a yard sign with poop bags, directly where you are seeing the poop piles that says DOG POOP BAGS.....PLEASE TAKE ONE

I had this issue where I used to live, a small development where people from OUTSIDE the little neighborhood would come and walk their dogs and I actually witnessed someone doing it in our common area and I came out of my house and asked if they wanted a poop bag!! The issue on my lawn led me to this recipe: mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 2 cups of apple cider vinegar, and then mist your lawn with it. Another option is to mix white vinegar with lime juice, soak cotton balls in this mix, and place them around the areas where you don't want dogs to poop. Just make sure you avoid spraying your plants with vinegar. I copied this right from the website where I got it, the cotton balls soaked in mixture was best around plants.

Maybe a motion detection ultrasonic repeller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZRYXM...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hope this helps.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
OMG that is more than annoying and disrespectful to say the least! RUDE!!! You could temporarily place a yard sign with poop bags, directly where you are seeing the poop piles that says DOG POOP BAGS.....PLEASE TAKE ONE

I had this issue where I used to live, a small development where people from OUTSIDE the little neighborhood would come and walk their dogs and I actually witnessed someone doing it in our common area and I came out of my house and asked if they wanted a poop bag!! The issue on my lawn led me to this recipe: mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 2 cups of apple cider vinegar, and then mist your lawn with it. Another option is to mix white vinegar with lime juice, soak cotton balls in this mix, and place them around the areas where you don't want dogs to poop. Just make sure you avoid spraying your plants with vinegar. I copied this right from the website where I got it, the cotton balls soaked in mixture was best around plants.

Maybe a motion detection ultrasonic repeller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZRYXM...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Hope this helps.

Thanks - Will definitely try these recipes! In not sure about the ultrasonic thing - what if Castor doesn't want to come close to our house, he he. The vingar I don't think will be a problem for him.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hidden camera so you can find out WHO it is and maybe talk to the owners? I don't know of any spray to keep dogs from pooping, but since they sniff before they poop... maybe sprinkle some cayenne Pepper in that area?

Many thanks! Hidden camera would be nice but not allowed, I think. I like cayenne pepper, though. Perhaps add that to [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] suggestion!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry I can’t help with a solution but I really do sympathise with you! :hellno::cursing::nonono::tapfoot:

Exactly the same thing happens outside our house and unfortunately it is in a place that is not covered by our security camera!

I really don’t understand what they are thinking? They must think some kind of “poop fairy” turns up to clear away there mess so it is nice and clean for next time there dog is there!!! :aaargh:

Poop fairy, he he! Yes, one wonders what they are thinking!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Thanks - Will definitely try these recipes! In not sure about the ultrasonic thing - what if Castor doesn't want to come close to our house, he he. The vingar I don't think will be a problem for him.

LOL oh yea, forgot about that.....vinegar it is :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Get a ring doorbell. I have one n you’ll see who it is.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Get a ring doorbell. I have one n you’ll see who it is.

We do have a peephole in our front door, but then you need to know when to look out since the dog doesn't ring the bell before he squats!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We do have a peephole in our front door, but then you need to know when to look out since the dog doesn't ring the bell before he squats!

Sorry not understanding. My ring doorbell has a camera n which scans 180degree. Corner to corner of the house. So as soon as someone or even animals walks in front of the doorbell which again covers 180degree it will record it. I even see deers on the Neighbour’s land walking towards my land. Records everything. If they don’t pass in front of the doorbell but on the sides, it will still record which you can check the video on your cell phone anytime.

https://www.ringdoorbellus.com/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking motion sensor lighting ... if lights flick on it would make them think they are being seen .. and clean up or not allow pup to poo there.... agree with others, it is rude and disrespectful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry not understanding. My ring doorbell has a camera n which scans 180degree. Corner to corner of the house. So as soon as someone or even animals walks in front of the doorbell which again covers 180degree it will record it. I even see deers on the Neighbour’s land walking towards my land. Records everything. If they don’t pass in front of the doorbell but on the sides, it will still record which you can check the video on your cell phone anytime.

https://www.ringdoorbellus.com/

Aha, I see! Thanks for explaining. Well, that would be a way of identifying the culprit, but probably not doable here (I think I need permission to record) and we live in a very busy street with someone passing the house every two minutes so would be recording constantly!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I was thinking motion sensor lighting ... if lights flick on it would make them think they are being seen .. and clean up or not allow pup to poo there.... agree with others, it is rude and disrespectful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks; good idea but since we live in such a busy street I think that would not be possible. We have a motion sensor lighting on the back side of the house but in the street would probably be on constantly.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OH how annoying... I agree w/the cayenne pepper or even just regular pepper should do the trick! We had a neighbor who's dog LOVED to go in my flower beds, and my neighbor would regularly come by to clean up after his dog... I put the pepper down and it stopped.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.