Daddy is a problem child .....!!!!!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not sure I've ever had as many behavior problems with one dog as we are having with Daddy .... :bang::bang::bang:

He's very cute and adorable but there are 3 BIG problems that we have with him. Maybe I should start three threads ...............:crazy:

PROBLEM NUMBER ONE
First of all we can't get him to stop jumping up. Whenever anybody walks into the house they get jumped on. We've tried ignoring him but usually you end up getting your legs and pants ripped. I try and make him sit before I say hello to him. That works slightly. Problem is that he will also do it to all the other dogs - except that they are all the same size as him so it's not really a case of jumping but he goes to greet them and licks their faces. Our black lab, Bear, is obviously a lot taller so when he walks into the room, Daddy will leap at him and lick his face whilst Bear is growling and gving all the warning signals to stop. He's nipped Daddy once because Daddy just wouldn't stop and that still hasn't worked. We all feel bad because we are yelling at Bear to stop growling, and Daddy to stop jumping up and licking Bears face. When really I think I'd be growling too if I was bear and it was happening to me!

PROBLEM NUMBER TWO
Food issues .... Daddy inhales his food and then goes and pushes all the other dogs out of the way and steals their food. This is more a problem with our shih-tzu poodle mix who takes a good 3-4 minutes to finish her food. My most recent idea is to make Daddy sit by his bowl when he has finished and I won't let him move until all the other dogs have finished eating. That means feeding times can take a VERY long time. Just wondered if anybody has any other ideas, or if anybody thinks that this is the right way to go with this.

PROBLEM NUMBER THREE
Daddy won't stop eating dog poop and cat poop. On Sunday, he ate cat poop before I could get to him and promptly threw it all up on my daughters carpet 3 hours later. It was the most foul smelling, disgusting coloured vomit I have ever had to clean up. It has left a dark greenish brown stain all over her carpet, and even now just thinking of it makes me want to :barf:.
I think we had a similar thread to this but now I can't find it .... does anybody know something that I can feed the other dogs and cat which will make the poop completely undesirable to Daddy. This morning he grabbed a piece of dog poop that one of the other dogs had kindly left for me on the deck, and I had to put my fingers in his mouth to dig it out ............ :barf: ............ just what you need at 6 o'clock in the morning!!!

Please help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I havent a clue!! jes sayin. ;) I just wanted to say, Isn't he cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute? :heart::heart::heart:

L

Lucy-licious

#1 jumping up.
A friend of mine has had this problem with her 2 old English sheepdogs. She eventually got a dog behaviourist in to help. This was her advise....
Enter the room with an over exaggerated flourish TaDa! Type entry. Dog jumps up, leave the room. Don't speak, don't make a fuss just leave the room. Apparently she did it 4 times and the dogs didn't jump on the forth she then made a big fuss said hello. This display was repeated every time she came home...she did say it got trying sometimes but after a long week it worked. No more jumping up. The dogs didn't like it when people left the room and soon learned if they didn't jump people stayed.
I'm sceptacle myself but it might be worth a try :)

Wouldn't know how to stop the dog licking though.

#2 food.
Can you feed everyone else first and Daddy later?
Not sure if this would make things worth just trying to think of ideas.

#3 Poo.
remember that post and the discussion about putting something in the other dogs food that makes their poo taste bad. I'm gonna go have another look for the post and see what that stuff was.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
#1 jumping up.
A friend of mine has had this problem with her 2 old English sheepdogs. She eventually got a dog behaviourist in to help. This was her advise....
Enter the room with an over exaggerated flourish TaDa! Type entry. Dog jumps up, leave the room. Don't speak, don't make a fuss just leave the room. Apparently she did it 4 times and the dogs didn't jump on the forth she then made a big fuss said hello. This display was repeated every time she came home...she did say it got trying sometimes but after a long week it worked. No more jumping up. The dogs didn't like it when people left the room and soon learned if they didn't jump people stayed.
I'm sceptacle myself but it might be worth a try :)

Wouldn't know how to stop the dog licking though.

#2 food.
Can you feed everyone else first and Daddy later?
Not sure if this would make things worth just trying to think of ideas.

#3 Poo.
remember that post and the discussion about putting something in the other dogs food that makes their poo taste bad. I'm gonna go have another look for the post and see what that stuff was.

Stig's PetSmart trainer gives the same advice on the jumping. She said it may take a while but should work. Patience is key.

I'm thinking the same for the feeding problem.

As for the :poo:ty dilemma (sorry, couldn't resist :)), I read pumpkin makes it taste bad. I also recently read that some dogs just grow out of it.

L

Lucy-licious

Apparently canned pumpkin will make poo taste bad and meat tenderiser added to their food will make it taste VERY bad.
And new big word of the day Coprophagia the act of eating poo :eek: yuk

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
We have that SAME jumping issue with all 3 of our little angels :bang:!!!! I'm going to take the advice of the TA-DA entrance and see if that works..
As far as the eating poop?? Try getting some Meat Tenderizer and putting a tiny sprinkle on your other dogs food. That CURED Bailey instantly! :up:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
That's such a great name for the jumping exercise - 'TA-DA' entrance. lolololol.

Last edited:
OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmmm..... meat tenderizer and pumpkin. I wonder if I can get my cat to eat that stuff too ... cos Daddy isn't fussy when it comes to whose poop he eats!!! :eek:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Problem #1..we have same problem and are trying our best. My sister is actually a dog trainer..but she IS 1200 miles away...she said to knee Jake away from us and say down..as sternly as we can. It does work..but guests havent caught on to the fact they have to come in "knees a blarin'"

Problem #2..I did break Jake of eating the cats food by just telling him no and pushing him away..now when I feed my dogs in the morning..I make Jake sit and he gets his dish first. Then I put Denas' dish down and GUARD IT MYSELF!! the problem I have is Dena purposedly waits for Jake to finish (15 seconds) and then eats verrrry slowly in front of him..while I guard...hmmm..now that I think about it..Dena is the smartest of ALL of us!

Problem #3..have had this issue in the past and got something from vet to put in other dogs food..took one treatment and that NASTY habit was gone...

BLAHHHHHHH for you and your finger this morning!! I thought mushed up snails and worms were bad..naw...you WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hmmm..... meat tenderizer and pumpkin. I wonder if I can get my cat to eat that stuff too ... cos Daddy isn't fussy when it comes to whose poop he eats!!! :eek:

My vet says cat poop is like a delicasy for dogs!! And we ALL know how delicate these bullies are!! lol..guess its all protein...hmmm..maybe a NEW protein source.

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] is right on about the jumping up..... raising boxers has taught me well. you must knee them to stop them from jumping up, it only takes once or twice if you start at 8 weeks of age. When you start kneeing your bulldog at an older age after the habit already has been formed... it takes longer and the dog will think its a game, until you have done it often and it has to hurt to make them realize you are serious.

L

Lucy-licious

Lucy thinks the cat litter tray is her own personal "pick and mix" shop :eek: So I'm gonna give it a whirl, I bought some tonight and will sprinkle some on the cat food in the morning I'll let you know if they eat it x

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Lucy thinks the cat litter tray is her own personal "pick and mix" shop :eek: So I'm gonna give it a whirl, I bought some tonight and will sprinkle some on the cat food in the morning I'll let you know if they eat it x

@Lucy-licious..no self respecting cat (aka all of them) will touch meat tenderizer! Now...any bully will!!

L

Lucy-licious

Still worth a try [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] just to keep Lucy's nose out of that tray.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online