ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I am at a loss! Started last Thursday night/Friday morning, my hubby came home early morning to find poo in Gilbert's tent (little pop up tent we use as a kennel for nighttime and when gone..he loves it!). Ok...Gilbert has not pooped in his kennel and/or tent (have both..just different areas of house...live in split level) since he was about 9-10 weeks old (pooped once in kennel and hasn't since recently). Ok...he is still a puppy (he is just over 6 mos)..accidents happen...right? Woke up Saturday morning to the same thing! Noticed poops aren't as solid and his poop schedule is almost 12 hrs different. On Saturday night I slept in same room (family room..closest to outside) to see how he would do overnight..he had to go out every couple hours...long story short...hardly poops during day anymore..been pooping mostly at night/middle of night...poop is not solid (soft serve mostly) I have managed maybe 4 solid movements total (over 2 days) then soft serve after that..last Thursday when started..he had a marrow bone (2nd one in a week) tried some orange/mandarin slices and homemade treats (coconut flour, coconut oil, peanut butter and pumpkin)..has some acana pork treats and some freeze dried beef liver treats (those are fairly new). Gilbert eats Fromm Heartland Gold lrg breed puppy (since 1-2wks after we have gotten him). Eats 3 times a day..roughly 2.5-3 cups a day (he weighs 48lbs) for breakfast i add coconut oil..lunch i add pumpkin and dinner green beans. Last couple days he has only been getting his food with pumpkin at all 3 meals..no treats..probably why i am getting a few normal poops..I am at a complete loss! Do I take all food away? Start a bland diet? Time for the vet? We did introduce starting to take a walk around the block...at a snails pace..pants most way around and after get home..normal? But we do have a fairly decent sized fenced yard ..so maybe walks are an overkill. Eats and plays normally..notice more panting after play..but weather is getting warmer here (50-60s). Sorry if alot..just at a loss of what to do next. Gilbert is my first bulldog and want to do everything right. Thanks!

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Also adding...Gilbert gets filtered water (drinking normally) and besides the 2 accidents in the tent overnight, he is not having any accidents in the house.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Uggg, no worries, this will get figured out. I am not the most experienced owner here BUT the first thing that I noticed was the pumpkin. Too much maybe??

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I was just thinking the same thing about the pumpkin!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I was just thinking the same thing about the pumpkin!

I'm sure that some more experienced EBD parents will be along shortly and will know for sure. Let's hope that they agree and probably an easy fix :)

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
I'm sure that some more experienced EBD parents will be along shortly and will know for sure. Let's hope that they agree and probably an easy fix :)

Thank you! I hope it's an easy fix as well. I'm not going to add anymore pumpkin to his meals today and see what happens. I should have asked for help sooner, but I was hoping things would resolve themselves.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
No temperature? No worms? If he doesn't straighten out, give him the bland diet for a few days. Less pumpkin will firm, too much pumpkin will be a messy!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Giving too much food can also cause loose stool.

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
No temperature? No worms? If he doesn't straighten out, give him the bland diet for a few days. Less pumpkin will firm, too much pumpkin will be a messy!

No temp...not seeing any worms (just had a fecal last month). Yea, i wasn't thinking when thought to add more pumpkin (well i was thinking it would help firm..not thinking about it going in opposite direction). I am definitely scaling back on the pumpkin and will do bland diet if not improving. Hopefully once improved his poop schedule will get back to normal as well and not keep it in the middle of the night.
Thanks!:)

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When I read what you feed him, it sounds as if he gets quite a lot of different things. To calm his tummy down, I would put him on bland diet (and take him to the vet if he isn't feeling well). We prepare bland food like this: rise gets to boil for an hour or so in twice the usual amount of water, and then we add minced meet or white fish towards the end. So the result is a runny soup that you serve when it is cold.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No temp...not seeing any worms (just had a fecal last month). Yea, i wasn't thinking when thought to add more pumpkin (well i was thinking it would help firm..not thinking about it going in opposite direction). I am definitely scaling back on the pumpkin and will do bland diet if not improving. Hopefully once improved his poop schedule will get back to normal as well and not keep it in the middle of the night.
Thanks!:)

two marrow bones in one week may have been too much and with all the pumpkin he system is like. WTH. Iā€™d just give him his Fromm.. o thing else for a day , see how he does. If still issue bland diet and vet check.

any chance he ate something he should not have.... maybe a blockage?

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
two marrow bones in one week may have been too much and with all the pumpkin he system is like. WTH. Iā€™d just give him his Fromm.. o thing else for a day , see how he does. If still issue bland diet and vet check.

any chance he ate something he should not have.... maybe a blockage?

Agreed! Just Fromm..basically starting from scratch and will go with bland diet and vet from there if not any better.

I am a 'helicopter' mom! :yes: And Gilbert is usually underfoot. I feel like I am always checking his mouth if I see him chewing on something (yes, I do know they can be quick about it tho!) Are there other symptoms of a blockage I should be looking for?
thank you!

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
When I read what you feed him, it sounds as if he gets quite a lot of different things. To calm his tummy down, I would put him on bland diet (and take him to the vet if he isn't feeling well). We prepare bland food like this: rise gets to boil for an hour or so in twice the usual amount of water, and then we add minced meet or white fish towards the end. So the result is a runny soup that you serve when it is cold.

Thank you...definitely will start a bland diet if just his Fromm isn't doing the trick.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Time to get him off puppy food. Puppy food is very rich, higher calories n all. Go with adult food Single protein bags. You might want to try Duck kibbles as itā€™s easier to digest. Rotate after each bags. 2 marrow bones a week is a lot. One every 2 weeks or so is better.. Your dog eats too much from what Iā€™m reading. Cut to 2x a day. :)

OP
ladywebb

ladywebb

Feb 12, 2021
Midwest
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert
Time to get him off puppy food. Puppy food is very rich, higher calories n all. Go with adult food Single protein bags. You might want to try Duck kibbles as itā€™s easier to digest. Rotate after each bags. 2 marrow bones a week is a lot. One every 2 weeks or so is better.. Your dog eats too much from what Iā€™m reading. Cut to 2x a day. :)

Thank you...I have been wondering at what age to switch him to adult. Will be checking the Fromm line for single protein bags.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.