Adult EBD's and vaccines question

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Shirley Wigglebutt being my 1st EBD, I have to ask if this is normal for the breed. I noticed on her vet paperwork from the rescue that she received and there's a reminder for it later in the year, she just had all her vet work done late November last year when the rescue got her for the parvovirus vaccine. Do adult bulldogs need to get the parvo vaccine as well as the bordatella which she also received in November? (Hope I spelled that right)
I've always vaccinated my puppies but not adults for parvo. Is this something I need to do to her every year? Or was this a precautionary the rescue does? She's 6 turning 7 April 27th. I will also be discussing it with the vet I've chosen to take her to when we go in for her initial exam once weather and roads are safe.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
In my opinion, bortadella is not necessary unless you were doing a dog daycare or boarding. Puppies usually get their shots with boosters 1 year later and then every 3 years after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like Citti said bortadella is if they go to daycare.

Iā€™ve always had dogs all my life n I never gave my dogs any shots after puppy age. But THATS ME. I donā€™t believe in them n they all die of old age. I donā€™t go to dog parks or anything either. I do a lot of essential oils n they always eat/ate healthy. If youā€™re going to give shots best advice is ā€œneverā€ have the vet give them all together n get it over with. Weā€™ve seen stories in here often pups have very bad reactions. One guy pup had a massive reaction, we all asked him what happened n how his puppy was. He never came back to tell us. Simply disappeared completely. It stayed in my head n my gut says his puppy died. Split them up, wait a few months for the other one. No rush.

Again I personally donā€™t agree on any shots. All chemicals...But thatā€™s me.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/annual-dog-vaccines-are-they-necessary/

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I have only kept rabies current on my previous adult dogs but they did go to dog parks and had interactions with other dogs. I have never heard of adult dogs to continue to get the parvo vaccine especially at 6 almost 7 years old along with bordatella. I don't think that's normal and I hadn't heard of adult dogs getting parvo. But she was a breeder, another thing I had never experienced. I try to have all my little animals neutered or spayed if possible. Will definitely be discussing with the vet when we go in on what nasty shots are mandatory and that she actually needs to fulfill my adoption contract so Shirley isn't taken away from me.

My dilemma here is because I adopted Shirley from a rescue, the contract states I have to keep up with shots and vet care and annual checkups in the adoption contract or they'll take her away from me. Shirley was listed as "an only dog in the home please". She did not get along with other dogs while the rescue (foster mom) had her. They're foster home based, no shelter environment. She's the only dog here and has no interaction with any other dogs at all because of. I do take her to petsmart and feed stores with me but have not been close enough to any other dogs to even see how she would react to them. She had no issues being bathed and groomed at petsmart with other dogs in there. She doesn't seem bothered by my neighbors dogs when we walk up to the gate (on leash). She is wonderful on leash, seems to know I'm disabled and very slow, I can't really walk (sustained an open book pelvis fracture in the wreck and have permanent hardware that renders all my pelvic joints immobile - won't go into all the nerve damage and pain to "walk") and she's ok with going my pace. She's such a sweetheart.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Adults can get the parvo vaccine. Itā€™s part of the DHPP series. I do vaccinate my dogs and have never had any issues. But like I said, it becomes every 3 years after they finish their puppy boosters. And the rabies vaccine is mandatory in Washington state. I guess itā€™s possible your vet is treating her as a puppy if sheā€™s a rescue and past vaccines are unknown.

Also, be careful with going to Petsmart. Many Bulldogs have died while in their care. Some due to overheating.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Theirs a Titer Testing you can do to see exactly what she had n how much is still in her blood.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Adults can get the parvo vaccine. Itā€™s part of the DHPP series. I do vaccinate my dogs and have never had any issues. But like I said, it becomes every 3 years after they finish their puppy boosters. And the rabies vaccine is mandatory in Washington state. I guess itā€™s possible your vet is treating her as a puppy if sheā€™s a rescue and past vaccines are unknown.

Also, be careful with going to Petsmart. Many Bulldogs have died while in their care. Some due to overheating.

Petsmart did the express grooming with my Shirley. I refuse to take her somewhere and leave her all day where they'll put her back in a cage. I never want her put back in a cage.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just a thought: what vaccinations Shirley might need to some extent depends on where you live, I suppose. The US is a big country so what is needed in one region may not be needed somewhere else, I guess? I'm in Europe and there are different rules for different countries (Swedish dogs only get rabies shots if they go abroad, for instance, as there is rabies on the Continent).

Having said that, we always follow recommendations when it comes to vaccinations, both for humans and dogs. For Castor, I think this means kennel cough once a year and parvo+hepatitis every three years.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Theirs a Titer Testing you can do to see exactly what she had n how much is still in her blood.

How far back does that go? This is what she got on 11/6/20
Rabies, da2pl, bordatella, heartworm test, pro-heart 6, bravecto dog chew

Reminders are: 11/6/21 da2pl, parvo, rabies, heartworm
5/15/21 proheart 6

The rabies is a 3 year shot per the records but saying I need to redo in 1. They used the defensor3, 345832, 3 year, killed

She was laser spayed 12/2/20

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)

5/15/21 proheart 6

The rabies is a 3 year shot per the records but saying I need to redo in 1. They used the defensor3, 345832, 3 year, killed

Are you in an area with ticks during winter? If not, you may not need Bravecto all year round (but your vet will know!). Castor got Bravecto one summer but his tummy didn't do well so now he gets another chew called Nexgard which has worked very well - no tummy problems and not a tick in several years. But perhaps the Bravecto is for something in addition to ticks?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Are you in an area with ticks during winter? If not, you may not need Bravecto all year round (but your vet will know!). Castor got Bravecto one summer but his tummy didn't do well so now he gets another chew called Nexgard which has worked very well - no tummy problems and not a tick in several years. But perhaps the Bravecto is for something in addition to ticks?

Yup! I don't give anything for ticks as I generally don't have ticks in my area.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A

I live in Oklahoma USA and there's ticks in the warm months but I was wanting to try the essential oils instead of medication or shots. I don't understand if the rabies that was given was a 3 year, why is it on the reminder for 1. I just don't understand the need for ALL these shots. I'll definitely be discussing with my new vet. My usual vet only does horses and I haven't had more than 1 inside companion for about 9 years. Ive never adopted a rescue before so this is all foreign to me.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

5/15/21 proheart 6

Itā€™s not about ā€œhow far it goesā€ but whatā€™s left as shots a dog had in the body. Vets will give dogs shot yearly or some every 3 yrs. But if a dog or cat still have traces in the blood work you can keep that paperwork of the results to prove your pet is still good n donā€™t need any shots or a specific one. Google Titer test.. :)

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Itā€™s not about ā€œhow far it goesā€ but whatā€™s left as shots a dog had in the body. Vets will give dogs shot yearly or some every 3 yrs. But if a dog or cat still have traces in the blood work you can keep that paperwork of the results to prove your pet is still good n donā€™t need any shots or a specific one. Google Titer test.. :)

Thank you so much! I'm going to request my vet do the titer test before administering any November vaccines. I don't want Shirley to have to get anything she doesn't need and get only what she does. I'm thinking since Shirley isn't exposed to other dogs that the vet won't see a need to continue parvo or bordatella.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I live in Oklahoma USA and there's ticks in the warm months but I was wanting to try the essential oils instead of medication or shots. I don't understand if the rabies that was given was a 3 year, why is it on the reminder for 1. I just don't understand the need for ALL these shots. I'll definitely be discussing with my new vet. My usual vet only does horses and I haven't had more than 1 inside companion for about 9 years. Ive never adopted a rescue before so this is all foreign to me.

Yes, check what your dog vet says. Castor once had a rabies shot as he went with us to Denmark (he loved Legoland!), and that offered a three-year protection. If I remember correctly, there were one-year and three-year rabies shots. We never renewed it as he hasn't been abroad since.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online