Adult EBD's and vaccines question

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I live in Oklahoma USA and there's ticks in the warm months but I was wanting to try the essential oils instead of medication or shots. I don't understand if the rabies that was given was a 3 year, why is it on the reminder for 1. I just don't understand the need for ALL these shots. I'll definitely be discussing with my new vet. My usual vet only does horses and I haven't had more than 1 inside companion for about 9 years. Ive never adopted a rescue before so this is all foreign to me.

check the wording on the reminder... does it say assessment or shot? Something new my vet started is a one year reminder assessment of the upcoming shot for the NEXT year. Very confusing

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
check the wording on the reminder... does it say assessment or shot? Something new my vet started is a one year reminder assessment of the upcoming shot for the NEXT year. Very confusing

This is from the rescue's vet:
Screenshot_20210222-100847_Drive.jpg

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Is it known if Shirley was vaccinated as a pup and prior to coming to you or could it be that the vet treats her like a pup (I am guessing here that pups get several shorts to build up some immunity?). Worth checking with the vet.

I do not know anything other than she was a breeder surrender and was way overbred due to the amount of c-section scars even on her side. With her being bred and so much from a breeder, I'm sure they kept up on her shots to protect their money maker. I figured she went to the vet immediately upon arrival to the rescue and they may have just gave her everything to be safe, but I don't know what all is actually needed to be continued since she had to go somewhere where she would be the only dog (with me). She's aggressive towards other dogs is what the rescue told me. She has done well and not shown any aggression towards any dogs at the petsmart groomers, they do the express service while I wait and is why I take her there. I do not ever want her going back into a cage so I won't take her to a regular groomer or vet for grooming and leave her for the day to be caged. I live on acreage so she has no need to go to a dog park and I'm home 24/7 disabled so she has no need for daycare or anything of the sorts to be around other dogs and she doesn't get close to other dogs at the petsmart groomers.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I do not know anything other than she was a breeder surrender and was way overbred due to the amount of c-section scars even on her side. With her being bred and so much from a breeder, I'm sure they kept up on her shots to protect their money maker. I figured she went to the vet immediately upon arrival to the rescue and they may have just gave her everything to be safe, but I don't know what all is actually needed to be continued since she had to go somewhere where she would be the only dog (with me). She's aggressive towards other dogs is what the rescue told me. She has done well and not shown any aggression towards any dogs at the petsmart groomers, they do the express service while I wait and is why I take her there. I do not ever want her going back into a cage so I won't take her to a regular groomer or vet for grooming and leave her for the day to be caged. I live on acreage so she has no need to go to a dog park and I'm home 24/7 disabled so she has no need for daycare or anything of the sorts to be around other dogs and she doesn't get close to other dogs at the petsmart groomers.

I see - Shirley is one lucky dog to be with you now! Could I just ask one more thing: what kind of grooming does she get? I have seen other bulldog owners here too talking about taking their dogs to the groomer's and I always wondered what they do there?! :)Shower and nails trimmed? Castor gets his nails trimmed when we take him to the vet and he only showers once or twice a year (I fully understand you may not be able to do that - Castor loves the shower, but my back will hurt for days afterwards and the bathroom will be soaking wet with dog shampoo all over the place!).

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I see - Shirley is one lucky dog to be with you now! Could I just ask one more thing: what kind of grooming does she get? I have seen other bulldog owners here too talking about taking their dogs to the groomer's and I always wondered what they do there?! :)Shower and nails trimmed? Castor gets his nails trimmed when we take him to the vet and he only showers once or twice a year (I fully understand you may not be able to do that - Castor loves the shower, but my back will hurt for days afterwards and the bathroom will be soaking wet with dog shampoo all over the place!).

I don't yet have full control over miss Shirley to attempt to have her in the shower with me yet (I would have my Great Danes literally shower with me about once a month) and I can't do the anal glands or deep ear cleaning with one working arm. What's included in the "bath and brush" I get for her is: the bath, anal glands, blow dry, deep ear cleaning, nail trim, brush, and a coat sheen to help reduce shedding. All for $33.00 here. Shirley's coat tends to get oily and she gets real itchy so when she's rubbing on everything she can I take her in. I'd rather spend the money and get her bathed etc than to allow her to get any skin irritations or anything else to cause her discomfort. I do brush her daily, but it's so hard to get her to stay standing and stretch them wrinkles out lol! I do not give her any people food, only her Zignature catfish (pretty sure that is cause of oily coat from the omegas and natural fish oil) and grandma Lucy's organic baked dog treats for her training sessions. Her foster mom at the rescue would give her smarties candy, I don't think that's good for dogs - any sugar or candy. Not like Shirley even chewed them anyways lol

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I don't yet have full control over miss Shirley to attempt to have her in the shower with me yet (I would have my Great Danes literally shower with me about once a month) and I can't do the anal glands or deep ear cleaning with one working arm. What's included in the "bath and brush" I get for her is: the bath, anal glands, blow dry, deep ear cleaning, nail trim, brush, and a coat sheen to help reduce shedding. All for $33.00 here. Shirley's coat tends to get oily and she gets real itchy so when she's rubbing on everything she can I take her in. I'd rather spend the money and get her bathed etc than to allow her to get any skin irritations or anything else to cause her discomfort. I do brush her daily, but it's so hard to get her to stay standing and stretch them wrinkles out lol! I do not give her any people food, only her Zignature catfish (pretty sure that is cause of oily coat from the omegas and natural fish oil) and grandma Lucy's organic baked dog treats for her training sessions. Her foster mom at the rescue would give her smarties candy, I don't think that's good for dogs - any sugar or candy. Not like Shirley even chewed them anyways lol

Thanks for explaining; sounds like a full spa treatment for Shirley :-)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Is it known if Shirley was vaccinated as a pup and prior to coming to you or could it be that the vet treats her like a pup (I am guessing here that pups get several shorts to build up some immunity?). Worth checking with the vet.

This was my thought. Since she was a rescue it could be they are treating her as a "puppy" with regards to shots as they might have no idea what, if anything, she has previously received.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Have you tried any of the other Zignature proteins? Zignature is a good food and you can rotate between each bag. I personally like to rotate between different proteins.

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Have you tried any of the other Zignature proteins? Zignature is a good food and you can rotate between each bag. I personally like to rotate between different proteins.

I have not at this time. I want her fully settled and comfortable and stress free before I do that, and not knowing if she's got any allergies to any of the other proteins I've been hesitant in that regard to try it, but it's been a thought just to give her a change of taste and maybe help cut down the stench of her farts but as fast as she eats and I don't hear her chewing the kibble, I wonder if she even tastes it at all lol

OP
S

Shirley Wigglebutt

Jan 16, 2021
Country
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
This was my thought. Since she was a rescue it could be they are treating her as a "puppy" with regards to shots as they might have no idea what, if anything, she has previously received.

I was shocked they gave all those shots at the same time, the foster mom at the rescue did tell me all the information the breeder would provide was a sheet of paper with name Shirley and birthdate 4/27/14. I think it might have been a forced surrender.

From the way Shirley reacted when she first came HOME if I moved too quickly it's apparent she was abused and most likely beaten. She would cower if I even turned my head too fast to look at her. She now knows she is safe and will not be hit or kicked or abused with me and no longer cowers at all. That took weeks to get her through. I've also noticed her jaw is off which I'm going to probably have the vet take an X-ray at initial exam due to. The split under her nose to her lip sits over the tooth next to her bottom fang, not straight down from her nose and she doesn't chew kibble. This poor baby must have had a horrendous life before the rescue. I just want her to live out the rest of her days however long that may be as a happy comfortable stress and worry free doggie surrounded by my love.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not at this time. I want her fully settled and comfortable and stress free before I do that, and not knowing if she's got any allergies to any of the other proteins I've been hesitant in that regard to try it, but it's been a thought just to give her a change of taste and maybe help cut down the stench of her farts but as fast as she eats and I don't hear her chewing the kibble, I wonder if she even tastes it at all lol

Try the duck ... it is limited ingredient and shouldn’t cause any upset to her system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.