Cybersid

Feb 13, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewy, Leia
Hi there - first post - proud owner of 2 english bulldogs

Dogs.JPG

Our little female bulldog (2 years old) had entropy causing her to constantly squint - so we decided to get surgery. All went well, she is not in pain, but now after 2 days she has formed cherry eye on the operated eye.

We have had bad experiences with cherry eye surgery - our older bulldog (5 years old) had 2 failed surgeries and after the final successful one was in a lot of pain (he is OK now)

We booked an appointment with the Vet tonight - he did say it most likely occurred due to the entropy surgery.

Anyone gone through a similar issue?

UPDATE: Seems that the cherry eye is coming in and out. Sometimes visible, sometimes not.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have 2 bullies who have had entropion surgery(equaling 4 eyes!) and neither one got cherry eye. Maybe someone else has heard of that, but I'm thinking that the vet caused it as it seems odd that it popped out with surgery.Some vets say it is genetic. [MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

OP
C

Cybersid

Feb 13, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewy, Leia
Thanks Manydogs!

So it looks like it is OK now - went back in... We did go to the vet today, her follow up for entropion surgery is next week.

It is quite the scare, she is moping around now with the cone on now, the older one is trotting around taking advantage of her misfortune ( she is the boss :) )

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Manydogs!

So it looks like it is OK now - went back in... We did go to the vet today, her follow up for entropion surgery is next week.

It is quite the scare, she is moping around now with the cone on now, the older one is trotting around taking advantage of her misfortune ( she is the boss :) )

I have no experience with eye issue, luckily.... maybe [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] has some insight

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience with eye issue, luckily.... maybe @ddnene has some insight

Walter had entropion, but the vet was able to remove the lashes w/out surgery. Willow had cherry eye, and the surgery was extremely successful... but she didn't have entropion. I honestly don't know if the surgery would cause cherry eye... Bella had cherry eye, but we could gently push it back in. She didn't have to get surgery luckily...

OP
C

Cybersid

Feb 13, 2021
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chewy, Leia
Thanks all,

After a day or two the cherry eye went back in, has not come back for 2 weeks. We switched to a harness for now as well.

Vet did say it was caused by the loosening of the muscles in the eye after the entropy surgery.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.