Does you house smell like "dog"

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I know it sounds crazy.. as I am used to my little Shih Tzu who really doesn't have an odor.. but I dare say, I think Chester smells a little bit more like "dog" than I am used to :eek: I had my darn carpets cleaned and everything.. it's not a bad smell.. it's just, a "dog" smell. Anyway, if you know what I'm talking about, is there something you do about it?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm, I don't think mine smells like dog. I don't have much carpet though- mostly floors. I mop with a regular mop and follow up with the shark steam mop. I am kinda a freak about my floors.

Do you think I am nuts? I have 5 bullies and OCD about my floors. Not exactly the right combo!!! LOL :eek: I like to think when they lick my floors they are actually helping me keep them clean....

But I also hardly ever leave the house, so maybe my house does stink and I jsut don't know it!!! LOL

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Not yet!! I have a 12 1/2 year old beagle mix and he does not have that old dog smell that older dogs get or any smell for that matter. The bully has turned 18 weeks today!! He doesn't have a smell either. I understand we are in for it when he gets to farting, lol. How long before we have that pleasure??

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Yeah I'm like desert sky, all my downstairs is hardwood floors and my couchs are all leather. I don't think it holds odors as much as carpeted rooms and cloth couchs. I'm sure it smells like dog to some extent though even though I also like desert sky am a bit OCD about my floors. Sam seems to go drink and leave a giant drip trail EVERYTIME after I finish mopping and it drives me up the wall!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I think houses start smelling like dog when your dogs aren't bathed regularly and when the pups spend alot of time outside. Do you know that smell? Once you pet someone's dog that smells like that, I feel grossed out until I can sneak away and wash my hands.
So, I wash them and their beds regularly. Their kennel pads and O's teddy bear get washed regularly also. Even tho.......Whenever someone comes into my house, I'll ask them if they smell "dog". I love the pet odor eliminator by Febreeze. I spray that on the couches to freshen them up.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We also have three Ionic Breezes. Maybe that helps :) 1 in each living room and one in the babie's room. Stinky diapers are the only bad thing I smell in this house!!!

When we fed our dogs Iams (I know, shame on us right?!!!), I think our bullies smelled. Now that they eat Avoderm- they barely smell at all.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I do know what you mean with our couch anyhow. We also have mostly tile everywhere but one of our couches has an oder to it and we cannot for the life of us get it. It is very odd that it is only the 1 couch also and we have a few so we are confused by this one. We use the plug in air fresheners and the sprays to keep the house fresh and even the carpet sprinkle which smells good too but what to do about this couch I am not sure. It is a recliner couch so the cushions do not come off and there are gaps between each little section and I think that is where the smell comes from. Joys of loving dogs I guess.

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I do know what you mean with our couch anyhow. We also have mostly tile everywhere but one of our couches has an oder to it and we cannot for the life of us get it. It is very odd that it is only the 1 couch also and we have a few so we are confused by this one. We use the plug in air fresheners and the sprays to keep the house fresh and even the carpet sprinkle which smells good too but what to do about this couch I am not sure. It is a recliner couch so the cushions do not come off and there are gaps between each little section and I think that is where the smell comes from. Joys of loving dogs I guess.

Our reclining couch we used to have I would have to steam clean and other cloth furniture and carpet I use frebreeze. We have since changed to leather furniture (better for allergies). Have you tried the fabric deodarants?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
yes like febreeze? I have sprayed that and lysol even but the problem is getting to where the stink is. I have a steam cleaner but it cant get into the crevices between the seats ya know?

OP
LisaRN

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
Well..we bathe Chester every other Saturday. With both me and my husband working, the house is closed up all day..so maybe that's why I am more sensitive to it. I have to vacuum every day, as he is going through some shedding thing right now :eek: On the weekend when everything is open, not so noticeable. He's only a puppy - 6 months old.. so it's not an old dog smell. Maybe I notice it more because of the climate I live in (Buffalo NY)... it's more humid here right now though not hot, and we rarely have on the a/c unless it's really warm out. ( I live all winter with my doors/windows closed, I hate to do that in the summer unless it's really necessary). I did buy the Febreeze..just to freshen. Maybe it is the food?? We just switched him to Blue Buffalo.

But I have a sensitive sense of smell.. because my husband says he doesn't smell it, but I think he doesn't want to look at Chessie as anything other than perfect :p :D

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
If I don't vacuum, sweep, wash bedding, toys and bully babies.... the smell comes out. I accept it as 'it is what it is'. Always keep Febreez handy though.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Just remember not to pull out the vacuum to use it right before company comes over..................unless it's a brand new bag. I hate (actually HATE) the horrid smell of vacuumed up dog hair. EEEEEKKKKKKKK:eek:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Couple of facebook responses:

Carol Tutor The best thing I have ever found is AbsorbX. It is a spray and works on really stubborn odors.

Yesterday at 2:08pm ·

Ashton Snickers Wilks We like Fresh Wave gel...

Yesterday at 2:22pm ·

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
When we first got HRH she definitely exuded a dog oder. Bathing helped, but it returned in a couple days.
Just like allergies good food seemed to fix the problem. With switching her to Fromm beef fritatta and blue buffalo treats (low fat & no grain or chicken) she no longer has that smell or at least not until it's really close to bath day, and then it's only noticeable if your within hugging range. She gets a bath every other week. We use selsen blue followed by oatmeal shed control dog shampoo currently, because I don't really care for the medicinal smell of the selsen blue.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Happy 1000 posts [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION]

My house gets that 'fritos' smell when it is time for baths. Tidus is the smelliest, but also the wrinkliest- but otherwise nothing so horrible. But then again, maybe I am used to it? :whistle:

Oh wow this is a thread from FOREVER ago! We feed Fromm now and have little to no gas too, that helps as well!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.