OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Update: itā€™s been a little under two weeks since Iā€™ve been feeding him duck and rabbit. His stains on his folds are back. His folds are dark and brown. I seriously donā€™t feel like feeding him raw is worth the money. What am I doing wrong?!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update: itā€™s been a little under two weeks since Iā€™ve been feeding him duck and rabbit. His stains on his folds are back. His folds are dark and brown. I seriously donā€™t feel like feeding him raw is worth the money. What am I doing wrong?!

What are you feeding... ingredients? how old is e again? it could be allergies too.
My guy has horrible environmental allergies and in the fall his folds, no matter what I do, are wet, red and sometimes raw becasue he is allergic to EVERYTHING green (trees, grass, weeds)

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
He is having rabbit and duck. I mix it and/or alternate. I started him on raw because of his folds and creases being stained and raw, however since starting him his creases only got better for a few weeks and then he started having skin issues again. I am spending over $100 a week on raw and it just doesnt seem to be making much of a difference from when I cooked for him (I used to cook for him before putting him on raw).

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
He is having rabbit and duck. I mix it and/or alternate. I started him on raw because of his folds and creases being stained and raw, however since starting him his creases only got better for a few weeks and then he started having skin issues again. I am spending over $100 a week on raw and it just doesnt seem to be making much of a difference from when I cooked for him (I used to cook for him before putting him on raw).

Okay, I have been feeding my dogs Prey Model Raw for going on 10 years. I am in a Prey Model Raw pawrents local group with all kinds of dog breeds in there including English Bulldogs. Here are conclusions from my experience over the 10 years:

It is rare for dogs to be allergic to raw meat and if they are allergic, chances are it will be chicken - only because it's the most common protein source. My dog Bullie who died a few months ago at 13 years old was allergic to kibble with chicken as an ingredient. It's pretty much the reason I switched to raw because Bullie was allergic to a lot of things. The first thing I fed Bullie when I switched to raw was... Chicken. Plain raw grocery store chicken leg quarters at 49 US cents a pound. Besides the runny poop due to the transition, she was perfectly fine with the raw chicken. Remember, this is the dog that was allergic to Chicken ingredient in kibble. I stayed on just chicken for 2 weeks - 1 pound 10 ounces of food everyday. That's less than $1 per day. After that, Bullie's main protein source is chicken and beef hearts (because it is cheap). Of course, I mix it in with a wide variety of other protein sources - like beef, pork, fish, deer, turkey, quail, rabbit, etc. but my dogs ate more Chicken and Beef Hearts for 10 years over the other meat sources. I had 3 dogs (2 died this year - both at 13 years old - 2020 is twilight zone, so of course, my dogs died at 13 years old) and my budget is $1.50 a pound. 2 dogs ate more or less 1 pound 10 ounces, 1 dog ate 10 ounces a day. I round it up to 4 pounds a day on average - that's $6 per day or $42 per week - for 3 dogs.

For your dog to have allergies to plain raw Rabbit (an exotic protein) is even rarer. And from what you're saying, he was fine with the rabbit then after a few weeks he got what looks like an allergic reaction. I'm just armchair quarterbacking here but my instinct tells me... your dog is not allergic to the raw meat. He is allergic to something else.

This is my advice, worth what you paid for (which is zero) - pick a healthy protein source you can afford for 2 weeks (not rabbit unless you mix it with something else - your dog can't live off of rabbit for long periods and it's expensive, and maybe not chicken - because if he's allergic to a protein source, more than likely it will be chicken) - and do some sleuthing on OTHER causes of allergies other than the food.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Okay, I have been feeding my dogs Prey Model Raw for going on 10 years. I am in a Prey Model Raw pawrents local group with all kinds of dog breeds in there including English Bulldogs. Here are conclusions from my experience over the 10 years:

It is rare for dogs to be allergic to raw meat and if they are allergic, chances are it will be chicken - only because it's the most common protein source. My dog Bullie who died a few months ago at 13 years old was allergic to kibble with chicken as an ingredient. It's pretty much the reason I switched to raw because Bullie was allergic to a lot of things. The first thing I fed Bullie when I switched to raw was... Chicken. Plain raw grocery store chicken leg quarters at 49 US cents a pound. Besides the runny poop due to the transition, she was perfectly fine with the raw chicken. Remember, this is the dog that was allergic to Chicken ingredient in kibble. I stayed on just chicken for 2 weeks - 1 pound 10 ounces of food everyday. That's less than $1 per day. After that, Bullie's main protein source is chicken and beef hearts (because it is cheap). Of course, I mix it in with a wide variety of other protein sources - like beef, pork, fish, deer, turkey, quail, rabbit, etc. but my dogs ate more Chicken and Beef Hearts for 10 years over the other meat sources. I had 3 dogs (2 died this year - both at 13 years old - 2020 is twilight zone, so of course, my dogs died at 13 years old) and my budget is $1.50 a pound. 2 dogs ate more or less 1 pound 10 ounces, 1 dog ate 10 ounces a day. I round it up to 4 pounds a day on average - that's $6 per day or $42 per week - for 3 dogs.

For your dog to have allergies to plain raw Rabbit (an exotic protein) is even rarer. And from what you're saying, he was fine with the rabbit then after a few weeks he got what looks like an allergic reaction. I'm just armchair quarterbacking here but my instinct tells me... your dog is not allergic to the raw meat. He is allergic to something else.

This is my advice, worth what you paid for (which is zero) - pick a healthy protein source you can afford for 2 weeks (not rabbit unless you mix it with something else - your dog can't live off of rabbit for long periods and it's expensive, and maybe not chicken - because if he's allergic to a protein source, more than likely it will be chicken) - and do some sleuthing on OTHER causes of allergies other than the food.

I am sorry to hear about your pup's passing. I really appreciate all the information. I guess I am just nervous to buy raw at the grocery store and feed it to him. I have also never tried to give him chicken. Would feeding him raw from the grocery store literally just be picking up a chicken or duck or a piece of beef and feeding it to him? If I am feeding him chicken would I include the bones? If I am feeding him duck would I include the bones? If I am feeding him fish, would I include the bones?
The place I get his raw food from is extremely pricey. I am starting to feel that way and believe he probably has allergies to something else and not the food. I do have an appointment next month to have him allergy tested.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sorry to hear about your pup's passing. I really appreciate all the information. I guess I am just nervous to buy raw at the grocery store and feed it to him. I have also never tried to give him chicken. Would feeding him raw from the grocery store literally just be picking up a chicken or duck or a piece of beef and feeding it to him? If I am feeding him chicken would I include the bones? If I am feeding him duck would I include the bones? If I am feeding him fish, would I include the bones?
The place I get his raw food from is extremely pricey. I am starting to feel that way and believe he probably has allergies to something else and not the food. I do have an appointment next month to have him allergy tested.

Yes. I can get a 10-pound bag of chicken leg quarters from the butcher shop for $4.99 - same price as Walmart. Or I can get the entire fryer chicken with the gizzards, liver, and neckbone in a little bag stuffed inside the chicken for 79 cents per pound. I give the entire chicken - meat, bones, organs, everything - right out of the styrofoam package straight to the dog. Zero processing. Well, I usually cut the whole chicken into quarters only because I feed them indoors and they can eat the meal in under 5 minutes if I cut it up whereas it takes them an hour or so to gnaw on whole chicken (which is very very good for their teeth and mental stimulation).

When I give them rabbit, I give them the entire rabbit, fur, head, paws, and all - if I get the rabbit from the meat rabbit farmer it comes complete with fur but he takes out the intestines and bile and leaves everything else inside the rabbit. I don't bother cutting the rabbit up. I give it to the dogs outside in the dog run because it takes them a long time to eat it. I have pet snakes - if I get the rabbit from the reptile food place where I get my snake's food, it comes complete with innards intact. I take out the innards except for the liver before I give it to the dogs. If I get the rabbit from the butcher shop, it's skinned without innards and cut up leaving only the legs and the chest and it is twice more expensive.

My boys go fishing a lot - they come home with snappers and such and I'd take out the innards and gills and give the entire fish to the dogs - bones heads tails scales etc.

I go by the K.I.S.S. principle.

Note: Everybody knows dogs eat bones. But, what they don't know is that eating bone... and pretty much anything else... is taught to the dogs by their mothers. If your dog did not grow up with his mother eating raw meaty bones, you're gonna need to first teach him how to do it... which is fairly simple. All I did was hang on to the drumstick part of a chicken leg quarter and let the dog gnaw on the other end like we're playing with his toy rope.

Here's a video of my dogs eating grocery store raw meat from 7 years ago.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I think what [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] was asking as ingredients is like the ratio. Like is it just rabbit meat or is it mix with rabbit organs, bones, blood? Same for Duck. Like Iā€™ve mentioned above I went through tear stains n all. As soon as I feed then tripe started disappearing. Itā€™s all about a high content of probiotics. Not pill form but food wise.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I think what @2BullyMama was asking as ingredients is like the ratio. Like is it just rabbit meat or is it mix with rabbit organs, bones, blood? Same for Duck. Like Iā€™ve mentioned above I went through tear stains n all. As soon as I feed then tripe started disappearing. Itā€™s all about a high content of probiotics. Not pill form but food wise.

From her comment above about grocery store meat, I think dymeale is not feeding whole rabbits/duck but a commercial raw product formula from the pet store with rabbit or with duck.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Follow [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] recent post :yes:

100$ a week is ridiculous expensive.

Example
BEC35E6F-702F-44D8-AE86-468F89A7713B.jpeg
547C7EAA-3DF2-453D-9BF7-7D5B2BE04931.jpeg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online