dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
I started Niko on a raw diet about two months ago. Initially we started him on rabbit and he did great, his folds cleared up, his nose got better, his fur started growing back. We did only rabbit for a month, then we tried alpaca and that irritated his folds right away and he got bumps everywhere. The bumps itched him so much I took him to the vet. So we took him off of alpaca and did rabbit only again for a few weeks. Now, we started incorporating pork and at first I thought he was doing fine with the rabbit and pork mixture but the bumps are back. They are everywhere. I am just wondering what you guys suggest? Will I really only be able to feed him rabbit? Or is his body just getting used to something new and i should keep him on rabbit and pork? I also give him a spoon of sauerkraut and a table spoon of coconut oil, once a day.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I wouldnā€™t mix or incorporate to a protein he does good with. My question is your raw diet, is it just a piece of meat or itā€™s already balanced out with Blood, bone, organs etc?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
And is there anything else in the ingredients like fruit, veggies, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
I wouldnā€™t mix or incorporate to a protein he does good with. My question is your raw diet, is it just a piece of meat or itā€™s already balanced out with Blood, bone, organs etc?

Yes, itā€™s balanced.

- - - Updated - - -

And is there anything else in the ingredients like fruit, veggies, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I give him broccoli and carrots.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting... definitely go back to rabbit n waits another 2 weeks. Have you tried beef or fish? Most dogs do well on fish. What I use as a dog snack is whole caught wild fish. Usually itā€™s herring or sardines. Both very high in oils. You can buy these in bags at your grocery store. The head, eyes, tail etc is still intact as we say. I cut mine in halves as itā€™s a snack only n not a meal. You would give it as a meal. You might have it all prepared like where you buy your raw from.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Interesting... definitely go back to rabbit n waits another 2 weeks. Have you tried beef or fish? Most dogs do well on fish. What I use as a dog snack is whole caught wild fish. Usually itā€™s herring or sardines. Both very high in oils. You can buy these in bags at your grocery store. The head, eyes, tail etc is still intact as we say. I cut mine in halves as itā€™s a snack only n not a meal. You would give it as a meal. You might have it all prepared like where you buy your raw from.

I have not tried beef. I give him cod liver as a form of fat since rabbit is so lean. His daily meals consist of a protein, broccoli, carrots, cod liver, coconut oil and sauerkraut.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not tried beef. I give him cod liver as a form of fat since rabbit is so lean. His daily meals consist of a protein, broccoli, carrots, cod liver, coconut oil and sauerkraut.

try duck... it is a good protein that has fat and less likely to be an allergen. I rotate between tuna, rabbit, turkey and duck

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

All good. Before trying beef, I would try like Christine mentioned, tuna, rabbit, turkey, duck n fish.

Iā€™m just thinking beef, pork, alpaca are heavy meat to digest. Try the others first but one at a time once youā€™ve done 2 weeks with the rabbit as heā€™ll clear up n youā€™ll start fresh. Easier to eliminate proteins. Continue broccoli, carrots, cod liver, coconut oil and sauerkraut as you know theyā€™re is no issues there either. Itā€™s a bit of testing but youā€™re simply following elimination. If it was kibbles logically we would be doing the same. Dogs needs variations just like humans to eliminate allergies down the road:) good job btw!

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Hi everyone!! I hope everyone is well. Nikoā€™s bumps are still here and quite frankly I am pretty stressed out about it. He is currently only eating rabbit and thatā€™s only because these bumps happened when I started trying other proteins and I added the broccoli, carrots, sauerkraut and coconut oil (all at the same time). I decided to scale back and start all over and try one thing at a time. He is currently only eating rabbit (for about 8 days now) and the bumps are still appearing. Every time he eats, new ones pop up. I have been doing a ton of research and Iā€™ve narrowed it down to seborrhea, although obviously I am not sure because I am not a professional. The place I get his raw from, the owner, suggested I give him Enzymedica digest gold capsules because she thinks I should really focus on his gut. I am also giving him Benadryl in order to keep him comfortable. Any suggestions are appreciated!! Iā€™m truly feeling defeated at the moment :(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Enzymedica digest gold Is more like an enzyme for gas, bloating.... not his case. Youā€™re already giving fermented sauerkraut. Btw is this the one in the fridge section not on shelves? You also said you give all at once broccoli, carrots, sauerkraut and coconut oil. Try one at a time. Have you changed detergents on floors or laundry etc?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Staying only on rabbit is not good for your dog. It lacks the fat he needs.

But if he's only on rabbit and you're still having issues with allergies, it might possibly be that... it's not allergies, or it's not the food that's giving him allergies. What did the vet say?

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Enzymedica digest gold Is more like an enzyme for gas, bloating.... not his case. Youā€™re already giving fermented sauerkraut. Btw is this the one in the fridge section not on shelves? You also said you give all at once broccoli, carrots, sauerkraut and coconut oil. Try one at a time. Have you changed detergents on floors or laundry etc?

Since I started all those things at the same time, I wasnā€™t sure what was making him break out. My plan is to basically start over The sauerkraut was the refrigerated one. I havenā€™t changed anything in our home.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Staying only on rabbit is not good for your dog. It lacks the fat he needs.

But if he's only on rabbit and you're still having issues with allergies, it might possibly be that... it's not allergies, or it's not the food that's giving him allergies. What did the vet say?

Hello! Yes, the only reason I am only feeding him rabbit at the moment is to clean him out and start over. I plan to start incorporating things one by one again. The vet said it was a skin infection and gave him antibiotics, the bumps came back as soon as he finished the antibiotics. If this continues, I plan on taking him to a dermatologist.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello! Yes, the only reason I am only feeding him rabbit at the moment is to clean him out and start over. I plan to start incorporating things one by one again. The vet said it was a skin infection and gave him antibiotics, the bumps came back as soon as he finished the antibiotics. If this continues, I plan on taking him to a dermatologist.

Yes start from scratch. Sounds more environmental. Are the bumps all over or like only under the belly ??

Again did change detergents to wash his bed, floors etc... I wash all pupā€™s blankets, bed with fragrance perfume free detergents n in the rinse I use our vinegar. I also wash the floors with vinegar. Just a thought.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.