Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi

I am wondering if it would be good for Bruce to have a friend
I don't want to bring in another puppy if it is going to adversely affect Bruce in anyway. But I was wondering if it would be good for him to have another dog to play with. I have been looking into something like a golden retriever.

Do you have more than 1 OEB?
Do you have single dog households?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
There are a variety of single and multiple dog households. I have five dogs, and two of them are English Bullies,had a 3rd, but she passed away, one is a frenchie/ pug, one is a dorkie, and the last one is a shih/chi. My dogs always accept new dogs. I did rescue a Frenchie one time, who was aggresive towards my dogs, so I had to return her. It has a lot to do with your attitude and calmness when you introduce them. Bruce is young and that is in your favor. Most likely the only problem would be to have Bruce take it easy on the pup! Most will probably tell you to get a female. Four of mine are females, one is a male(dorkie).

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I agree with [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]. A lot has to do with introduction. I have two right now, and Oreo is well socialized with other dogs, so he welcomed Brisket as a new friend, but Brisket is too playful and rough with him so I often have to intervene to stop him. So a lot of training comes in having more than one dog to get them to get along. Some dogs do better by themselves, and others thrive with company. It depends on his temperament. But yes, as a puppy, it’s best to add a friend now before he is set in his ways as being the only pup in the home. I personally prefer having two because they keep each other company when they are home alone, and give me a break when I don’t have the energy to play with them.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
We have 4 dogs. Bella was the last to join us.
We have two pit mixes and a boxer. One of the pits (the only male) he is 12 years old. I wouldn’t trust him around any other dogs. But he took to Bella pretty quick! He is her buddy for sure. She really only likes to rough house with him not so much the other two that are females (one is 14 and the other is 10)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Thanks guys that really helps. Will definitely look into it more. Bruce loves other dogs, kids and people so we are really lucky. Just not sure how he would be at sharing his house and me tbh lol. He gets jealous when my other half tries to hug me and jumps us to either seperate us or to be involved in the hug.

In 2 minds as I love the bond we have but I worry about him getting lonely when he is alone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As others stated... introduction is key. We have always had two dogs, intro to our girl was so important because of her dominant level, but we got it done with slow introduction over a week before bringing Cheli home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have 3 dogs - 7 year old male French Bulldog (Jax), 3 year old male English Bulldog (Louie) and 11 month old female English Bulldog (Ella). When I brought Louie home, Jax wouldn't go near him for about 3 weeks. When I brought Ella home, it took Louie a few days and Jax tolerated her much quicker than he did with Louie. Puppies can be annoying because they will always bite and want to play with other dogs so you just let the older dog correct the puppy as needed. I brought Louie over to meet Ella before she actually came home so he can meet her beforehand.

Jax probably would have been fine being an only dog but he tolerates the other 2 two and will play with them when he is in the mood. I am glad that Louie and Ella have each other.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.