dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Hiiii Everyone,

My dog is going on about five weeks on raw. We started him on rabbit and he did really well!!! His skin got so much better! We then tried alpaca and he seemed to have somewhat of an allergic reaction. (Nose got flakey again and folds got a little red). Anywho, heā€™s back on rabbit and we will not be feeding him alpaca anymore. We are going to try pork next. I am told I should be getting him cooling proteins, has anyone heard of that?

Also, while he is doing a lot better on raw, I still notice that when I give him scratches he has what looks like dandruff to me. Any suggestions on What I can do to help with dry skin? His tummy isnā€™t like that but his back is. Maybe a shampoo?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You can add salmon oil to his meals if he can tolerate it, OR add coconut oil... I occasionally give the coconut oil to my pups since Walter has a fish allergy.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Nyala had flakes too n when I started giving her Whole frozen sardines or herring eventually it stopped. I stopped a while back giving them oils in capsules as I rather they get their oils in food. But thatā€™s me. Both eat either beef or chicken. Yes all raw. Beef is neutral so beef might work for your dog. When a dog has inflammation itā€™s a sign to up the fats. Good fats only. Why I give an oily fish as a noon snack. I do use every other day hemp oil. Squirt a teaspoon mix in their meals. You can also use EVOO, add fresh herbs in meals like basil is a great for inflammation... In my dogā€™s raw thereā€™s tripe in it so definitely you should start using to keep the immune system clean. Will get rid of health issues. Or buy it at your pet store frozen area. Green smelly tripe NOT the white bleached one at your grocery stores. :)

I Shampoo them once in the summer n thatā€™s it. I do use essential oil mix I make for their coats n keeps fleas, tics, ants etc away...and they smell nice!!! Shampoo too much their skin will flake. Youā€™re removing their natural oils. Not good.

https://www.volharddognutrition.com/energetically-balanced/

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good info from the ladies.... also try duck as a protein, and keep in mind rabbit is VERY lean so your baby could lose weight while Bill on just rabbit

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
You can add salmon oil to his meals if he can tolerate it, OR add coconut oil... I occasionally give the coconut oil to my pups since Walter has a fish allergy.
Thank you! How much coconut oil or salmon oil should I be feeding him. He is 63 lbs and two years old.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Thank you! How much coconut oil or salmon oil should I be feeding him. He is 63 lbs and two years old.

With the coconut oil, you can start by giving him a tablespoon a day to see if he tolerates it well and then after two weeks, you can give him upto 1 tablespoon per 10lbs of body weight. I am not sure about salmon oil. I currently give Brisket 2 tablespoons a day in his breakfast and dinner meals, and he loves it! And his fur is so soft!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I only give mine a tablespoon of coconut oil daily... the salmon oil I can't remember, but I started them out slowly.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Thank you everyone!! I started him on coconut oil and sauerkraut and he LOVES it!! Iā€™m hoping these supplements benefit him. :)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you! How much coconut oil or salmon oil should I be feeding him. He is 63
lbs and two years old.

Follow this recipe. At the same time great for his joints.
581FD3BC-324A-4E43-B3DC-86944795542A.jpeg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.