KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
So Brisket has been eating Fromm puppy gold, and it is not grain free, but I do plan on transitioning to it soon, however he has been getting into the habit of getting into Oreos food and he is eating Fromm with grain( itā€™s the chicken a la veg) and his tear stains have been getting dark. Both have grain, and Fromm puppy has chicken in it. There has been no other changes. What can be causing it? Age? Heā€™s 4 months old now.

C2A9D8AE-5501-4284-8E28-5A24772D79E1.jpeg

image.jpg

Thereā€™s two pictures to show the difference. Theyā€™re not that bad, but donā€™t want them to get worse. I clean his wrinkles everyday and use an antibacterial cream to keep them dry and keep any bacteria at bay, but they suddenly appeared. His eyes have been watering a little more lately, he wakes up now with eye boogers.. donā€™t know it thatā€™s related. Only in the morning after a full nights sleep.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
It could be the grains, it could be the chicken, it could be allergies, it could be eyelash issues. It could be many things. Are you using stainless steel bowls and filtered water? If not, switch and it could be something that simple. Fromm has a 4 star formula that I believe is all life stages so you could do a switch now if you wanted.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
It could be the grains, it could be the chicken, it could be allergies, it could be eyelash issues. It could be many things. Are you using stainless steel bowls and filtered water? If not, switch and it could be something that simple. Fromm has a 4 star formula that I believe is all life stages so you could do a switch now if you wanted.

I do use stainless steel and filtered water. I went ahead and ordered the grain-free puppy food for him from our local pet pantry for pickup tomorrow. Hoping it helps. As for allergies, would he have showed signs of it before? He just got a checkup at the vet and she didnā€™t notice anything bothering his eyes. ��

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I do use stainless steel and filtered water. I went ahead and ordered the grain-free puppy food for him from our local pet pantry for pickup tomorrow. Hoping it helps. As for allergies, would he have showed signs of it before? He just got a checkup at the vet and she didnā€™t notice anything bothering his eyes. ��

Allergies could happen at any time. Basically process of elimination to find the cause.

Louie is 3 and he started getting tear stains as a puppy. At 1 years old he went to half raw/half kibble and then 100% raw shortly thereafter. Just now his tear stains are starting to go away and I have no idea why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Allergies could happen at any time. Basically process of elimination to find the cause.

Louie is 3 and he started getting tear stains as a puppy. At 1 years old he went to half raw/half kibble and then 100% raw shortly thereafter. Just now his tear stains are starting to go away and I have no idea why.

Hmmm. Okay, well then I guess weā€™ll just try this for now and see if it helps, If not, raw may be my only option.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I used witch hazel on my white bulldog. She used to get tear stains pretty bad for somehow, the witch hazel cleared it up and she never got them again. I know , all dogs are different. Worth a shot!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Citty has you covered.... also, since he is 4 months he is still teething so it could be that too. Combination of teething, chicken grains and allergies kicking in all at once

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hmmm. Okay, well then I guess weā€™ll just try this for now and see if it helps, If not, raw may be my only option.

Jake n my previous both white face had tear stains. Once switched to raw it all disappeared. They basically need a good probiotic to balance their gut flora throughout their system. And as you probably know, folds always needs to be clean n especially dry throughout the day. I always prefer probiotics through a food source like fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies n especially green smelly tripe at your pet store in the freezer section.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Thanks for the advice! I will add some of the fermented veggies to his diet. I do keep those folds clean and dry, but he has been tearing a lot lately and he has also been suffering from a runny nose. I am thinking it may be allergies.. Can I give regular OTC benadryl to him? If so, adult of kids? I know its 1mg per 1lb just not sure which one would be more effective.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I'd start by not feed anything with chicken, beef, wheat, corn, or soy. No treats with any of those ingredients. See if that helps. Raw may be in your future.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I noticed this redness on his lower belly and his arm today.. could this be related?

EFA25893-5B9E-4D40-A48A-22620B44DAE6.jpeg

7C313ACF-FF89-4967-A4F1-C5E5AE247DB6.jpeg

I also compared the food he eats and the food Oreo eats, and the different ingredients are:
Millet
Carrots
Apple
Broccoli
White rice
Chicken cartilage
Cranberries
Blueberries
Taurine

He eats carrots regularly here so donā€™t think that is an issue. As for the others.. Is there anything that may cause an allergy?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
and yes you can use benidril... I'll let someone else give you the dose ;)

Most Reactions