More Help!

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
I am hoping to get some guidance. I am currently trying to figure out what my bulldog is allergic to and what he can eat. I cook for him at home. This week I an giving him beef with carrots/peas/potato/broccoli. I also add probiotic powder.How many days of giving him a certain food will it take for me to see if he is allergic to the beef? Also how much should I be feeding him?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I am hoping to get some guidance. I am currently trying to figure out what my bulldog is allergic to and what he can eat. I cook for him at home. This week I an giving him beef with carrots/peas/potato/broccoli. I also add probiotic powder.How many days of giving him a certain food will it take for me to see if he is allergic to the beef? Also how much should I be feeding him?

Question... is your probiotic powder you leave on a shelf or is it the one that needs to be in the fridge?

He should be eating 2x a day. That being said, once is also find. When I was home cooking I would give them one cup PER day of protein (meat). Basically I boiled a massive turkey for 8-10 hrs. Then deboned n skinned it. In Medium ziploc bags, I added one cup of the meat bottom of the bag, 2cups of veggies NO white potatoes but sweet potatoes n only semi cooked, filled it with the broth then freeze them. One bag PER day was their meals. When youā€™re HC, very rare youā€™ll see allergies just like raw. I would use green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, well any veggies :) the most important part of the meal is the broth. Make sure itā€™s in there each time as thatā€™s the magic ā€œGOLD liquidā€

ā€œMany products, particularly those that are not refrigerated, contain fewer live organisms than their labels claim. Freeze-dried probiotics may last longer than refrigerated or other powdered products, especially if the powder is exposed to moisture (such as when the container is opened and closed). Probiotics in commercial foods may not survive processing or storage. Probiotic products should always provide an expiration date.ā€
Why I only use fresh refrigerated fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as a topper or snack... :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)

Most people recommend 2 weeks of a certain food to observe reactions. The more accurate would be to take your dog to the vet for an allergy test... but in my opinion, I would only do this if my dog is exhibiting allergies to several things.

I don't cook my dogs' food. I give them 100% raw meat - much easier for me than home cooked. There's differences between food amounts between 100% meat feeding and mixed feeding due to the bio availability of the caloric intake but this same "rule of thumb" should be sufficient as a general guideline:

Start with 3% of the dog's expected adult body weight. So, if feeding a puppy that is expected to be 50lbs in adulthood, start with 3% of 50 which is 1.5 lbs of food daily. Then adjust the amount up or down if your dog is getting too skinny or getting too fat.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Most people recommend 2 weeks of a certain food to observe reactions. The more accurate would be to take your dog to the vet for an allergy test... but in my opinion, I would only do this if my dog is exhibiting allergies to several things.

I don't cook my dogs' food. I give them 100% raw meat - much easier for me than home cooked. There's differences between food amounts between 100% meat feeding and mixed feeding due to the bio availability of the caloric intake but this same "rule of thumb" should be sufficient as a general guideline:

Start with 3% of the dog's expected adult body weight. So, if feeding a puppy that is expected to be 50lbs in adulthood, start with 3% of 50 which is 1.5 lbs of food daily. Then adjust the amount up or down if your dog is getting too skinny or getting too fat.

Ok, I am leaning more and more towards a raw diet, but I would have any idea of where to start? Where can I find guidance?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Ok, I am leaning more and more towards a raw diet, but I would have any idea of where to start? Where can I find guidance?

I'm your neighborhood holistic super practitioner of the KISS way of life. That is... Keep It Short and Simple.

Raw feeding can be as simple as throwing the entire duck to the dog, have them go at it until half of it is eaten or it's been one hour, whichever comes first, pack the rest of the duck complete with the dirt and grass leaves stuck to it in the bag, throw it in the fridge and give the rest of it the next day... or as complicated as cutting and chopping and mixing body parts and weighing each part diligently on a food scale to match a nutritional spreadsheet...

I lean more towards the throw the duck at the dog and have them go at it type person...

So, I do the easy route of whole foods... small prey is chicken, duck, quail, turkey, rabbit, fish, etc., give to the dog raw complete with innards (minus intestines - like, I gut the fish before I give it to the dog)... they also eat meat pieces from beef, pork, deer, etc depending on what my local butcher has for cheap. I don't do the 80-10-10 or whatever with the whole prey but I do it for the big animal pieces and that's about as much complication as I go with it.

So, if you ask me... your first step is to find a local butcher or a local co-op of raw feeders in your area. They should have plenty of information that can guide you on how to feed, what to feed, and where to find things to feed.

OP
dymeale

dymeale

Aug 23, 2020
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
NikolƃĀ”s
Question... is your probiotic powder you leave on a shelf or is it the one that needs to be in the fridge?

He should be eating 2x a day. That being said, once is also find. When I was home cooking I would give them one cup PER day of protein (meat). Basically I boiled a massive turkey for 8-10 hrs. Then deboned n skinned it. In Medium ziploc bags, I added one cup of the meat bottom of the bag, 2cups of veggies NO white potatoes but sweet potatoes n only semi cooked, filled it with the broth then freeze them. One bag PER day was their meals. When youā€™re HC, very rare youā€™ll see allergies just like raw. I would use green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, well any veggies :) the most important part of the meal is the broth. Make sure itā€™s in there each time as thatā€™s the magic ā€œGOLD liquidā€

ā€œMany products, particularly those that are not refrigerated, contain fewer live organisms than their labels claim. Freeze-dried probiotics may last longer than refrigerated or other powdered products, especially if the powder is exposed to moisture (such as when the container is opened and closed). Probiotics in commercial foods may not survive processing or storage. Probiotic products should always provide an expiration date.ā€
Why I only use fresh refrigerated fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies as a topper or snack... :)

Itā€™s powder so itā€™s left on the shelf.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Itā€™s powder so itā€™s left on the shelf.

I personally would give him the one you find at a health food store in the fridge section if you want the probiotic as a powder form n not as food wise. The live strains in yours will die off very fast. Because youā€™re home cooking for him n hopefully giving him the broth n semi cooked veggies, there is no need to give probiotics every day. You can skip it like ā€œevery other dayā€. You can also add raw organs as a topper. Thereā€™s your probiotics right there.

But like [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] mentioned, if you can go raw, much easier. You would need to ask some members where they buy it online as Iā€™m in Canada. 2bullymama, [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION] n anatess can help you out. The ones I buy is all balanced n perfect ratio. Hereā€™s photos of the ratio. Also for a 50lb dog itā€™s ONE pound per day. Nyala eats 3/4 even though sheā€™s 50lbs n Jake is not far from 70lbs eats a bit less than 1.5lb. Basically I use 2lbs a day for both. I donā€™t want them over weight why they eat a bit less. That being said, the do get frozen whole sardines as a lunch snack. Days I skip their snack too. :)

7A692360-790D-4C9A-891F-696BAA18EE9C.jpeg906A1F2D-5B8C-43C2-8541-EC213A18617A.jpeg001B770E-1D08-4DFA-9479-3D2D9DE07482.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feed raw that is local to my area, small business but they do ship. There are many in details stores , but going co-op would be cheaper

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I buy already balanced and frozen raw as well. Iā€™m not trying to doing math to figure out ratios and I sure am not feeding whole animals and body parts (Iā€™m a vegetarian).

Iā€™m a member of a local raw food co-op and they sell all the commercial brands at a discount plus a whole bunch of other stuff as well and even human grade meat. I also buy the same brands in store as well if I need more food as I usually just do a co-op pickup once a month. Oh, and I also order from Raw Fed K9. I like to feed a variety of brands and proteins as each one is different.

If you buy a commercial frozen raw, all the work is done for you and you just thaw a bit and feed.

If you go to the raw food section on here, thereā€™s a sticky thread of different co-ops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.