Body shake

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I have a question about body shakes. I don't mean shivering but normal dog shakes. Castor has always done these body shakes a couple of times a day. I guess it's some kind of replacement activity, and we refer to them as 'rebooting' because he typically does them when we want him to do something he hasn't planned on (for instance, taking a different turn from what he wants during a walk). He will stop, seems to recompute, shakes, and is ready to go. Tail wagging as usual.

Lately, however, it is like he sometimes avoids doing these shakes, and I thought I should ask if anyone with dogs who are in pain (arthritis, etc) have noticed such as change? It is as if he stops half way and that made us think perhaps his back or hind legs hurt (at home, the hind legs typically almost slide on the floor during his shakes). Having said that, he actually did a full body shake when we were out earlier today, so it's not that he cannot shake at all.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I hope itā€™s not that he is in pain. Poor thing. Hope someone gives you an answer soon.
I donā€™t know if it is different with bullies, but my schnauzer suffers from mild epilepsy and he has had some very short and mild seizures that donā€™t always cause his whole body to shake or for him to fall over. Hope thatā€™s not the case. Have you talked to a vet about it?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I hope itā€™s not that he is in pain. Poor thing. Hope someone gives you an answer soon.
I donā€™t know if it is different with bullies, but my schnauzer suffers from mild epilepsy and he has had some very short and mild seizures that donā€™t always cause his whole body to shake or for him to fall over. Hope thatā€™s not the case. Have you talked to a vet about it?

Oh, poor little schnauzer. No, I'm pretty sure Castor's shakes are not seizures - they seem like normal dog shakes (like when dogs after having been out in the rain shake off the rain water).

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
So Jax has trembled before as a sign of pain. But heā€™s also done the ā€œshake off.ā€ A couple years ago when Louie went to do his board and train and when the trainer fought him home and was working with him at home in front us with the pinch collar, he would do the ā€œshake offā€ and she told us it was a good thing, that he was basically shaking off the anxiety/stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
So Jax has trembled before as a sign of pain. But heā€™s also done the ā€œshake off.ā€ A couple years ago when Louie went to do his board and train and when the trainer fought him home and was working with him at home in front us with the pinch collar, he would do the ā€œshake offā€ and she told us it was a good thing, that he was basically shaking off the anxiety/stress.

Yes, the "shake off" is what I mean, not shivering. Ethologists call it a displacement activity, and Castor typically does this when he has to "reboot" and come to terms with a situation which involves confliciting instincts/wishes. Not dramatic at all, just the kind of thing that happens when the dog wants to turn left and the human has decided that we go right. We stop, he will stand still for five secs and then does his little shake and is ready to go.

What worries us is that some days it seems like Castor stops these shakes half-way through as if it hurts to shake.

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Aww poor thing. Hope itā€™s not pain. Glad to know it does not look like a seizure. Iā€™ve actually just started paying closer attention to Brisketā€™s shake offs and he does it too when Iā€™m trying to tell him not to bite, heā€™ll freeze, shake and then calm down..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, the "shake off" is what I mean, not shivering. Ethologists call it a displacement activity, and Castor typically does this when he has to "reboot" and come to terms with a situation which involves confliciting instincts/wishes. Not dramatic at all, just the kind of thing that happens when the dog wants to turn left and the human has decided that we go right. We stop, he will stand still for five secs and then does his little shake and is ready to go.

What worries us is that some days it seems like Castor stops these shakes half-way through as if it hurts to shake.

Yes, it seems common, Banks, Nitschke and Lambeau have all done the mid-shake stop... almost like, never mind, I didnā€™t mean to do that. Iā€™ll see if I can find anything about it from my vet tech friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, it seems common, Banks, Nitschke and Lambeau have all done the mid-shake stop... almost like, never mind, I didnā€™t mean to do that. Iā€™ll see if I can find anything about it from my vet tech friend

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for checking with your vet tech friend! We will ask our vet too if this can have to do with pain.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I personally think itā€™s normal. Nyala Jake, Duke even my GS would just out of nowhere, stop do that shake n continue their way. Nyala does it more often. :)

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Hmmmmmmm....
Bella does that half shake when she gets out of the pool sometimes. I always thought it was a little weird. [emoji23][emoji1787]
I used to think she was just being a little lazy. As a matter of fact I think at times she gets out of the water and doesnā€™t even shake off at all.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The vet tech I know just had a baby so I donā€™t want to bother them right now... will in a week or so

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
The vet tech I know just had a baby so I donā€™t want to bother them right now... will in a week or so

Guess what... as usual, when I start worrying about something with Castor, the potential problem stops. He has been shaking without problem for two days now. So no hurry. Would be interesting at some point to know whther dogs can stop shaking because it hurts, though. Say hi and congratulate your friend from Castor and Co.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online