Shampoo & Conditioner Recommendations

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Are there any suggestions for shampoo and conditioner for my little one? He's small and has only been bathed by me once, but I was wondering if you all new of anything that is gentle and natural that will help keep him clean whenever bath time does come (not often)?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry can’t help here I’m lazy and I take them to the groomer twice a year for their bath [emoji1787][emoji23][emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I make my own dog bar soap.

I use Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, and steel cut oats. I used to add neem and lavendar for scent but I don't do that anymore.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I use Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, and steel cut oats. I used to add neem and lavendar for scent but I don't do that anymore.

Bang on!!! Good job!

236E0A97-76B0-4123-B1A9-235906358FEE.jpeg

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket

Hm... no experience making a soap bar. Any guidance please?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Hm... no experience making a soap bar. Any guidance please?

Search on youtube for Cold Process Soap Basics to get an idea of the process to make soap. It needs some elbow grease and time (patience) and, of course, being careful (you're going to be handling lye which can cause chemical burns). Once you get comfortable with the process, I'll teach you the specific dog soap recipe I use.

Disclaimer: Soapmaking can be an addictive hobby... but that's just par for the course of being an English Bulldog pawrent, right? EBs are also addictive, right? Hah hah.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Search on youtube for Cold Process Soap Basics to get an idea of the process to make soap. It needs some elbow grease and time (patience) and, of course, being careful (you're going to be handling lye which can cause chemical burns). Once you get comfortable with the process, I'll teach you the specific dog soap recipe I use.

Disclaimer: Soapmaking can be an addictive hobby... but that's just par for the course of being an English Bulldog pawrent, right? EBs are also addictive, right? Hah hah.

Yes!! Okay I will check it out thanks! Btw, where would I find lye?? I’ve never actually looked for it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes!! Okay I will check it out thanks! Btw, where would I find lye?? I’ve never actually looked for it.

You can find it in Walmart in the drain cleaner aisle. In the SuperWalmart by me, they don't have it in the grocery section with the Dranos and Luquid Plumbers, rather, they have it in the hardware section with all the toilet accessories like towel bars and toilet tank hardware things. Make sure it is 100% lye and no other ingredient. This is what I use from our Walmart:

4c9580b8-0736-48d2-b432-ec6e27cc4427_1.b129445a3d84a9910119c7916ebe808b.jpeg

Apr 28, 2019
Ca
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
You can find it in Walmart in the drain cleaner aisle. In the SuperWalmart by me, they don't have it in the grocery section with the Dranos and Luquid Plumbers, rather, they have it in the hardware section with all the toilet accessories like towel bars and toilet tank hardware things. Make sure it is 100% lye and no other ingredient. This is what I use from our Walmart:

4c9580b8-0736-48d2-b432-ec6e27cc4427_1.b129445a3d84a9910119c7916ebe808b.jpeg

This is what I have used

https://www.amazon.com/Natural-Oatmeal-Shampoo-Conditioner-Lemongrass/dp/B081N1TVWG

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I've used jax and dazy (sp) as of late and liked it. Thats the only one right now i can think of. I even rotate shampoos lol and cant think of others .. Hum,,, i know there was a peppermint one from somewhere as well. Not home at the time so cant go look.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
I use witch hazel on a cotton pad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great suggestion!

I also use diluted witch hazel and lavender essential oil as a fragrance mist.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Don't mean to oversimplify this but we've always used either Johnson's Baby Shampoo for our guys or if a really dirty or greasy coat, Dawn Dish liquid. If Dawn is safe for oil soaked ducklings it's safe for dirty greasy bulldogs. No issues with either. Whatever you decide to use, however, be sure to spend twice as much time rinsing as you do lathering. You absolutley must get all of the soap off the skin. Residual soap can burn the skin.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.