cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I recently read somewhere ( from one of the many puppy books i've checked out from the library), that you should not let your puppy watch you clean up their accidents when housebreaking them. Is there any validiity to this? The logic was that the puppy will then think of you as his/her "maid" or something like that, and he will therefore think he's higher on the totem pole than you are.

Is this why i'm having a challenging time housebreaking Tate? b/c i'm always crouching around the house with my roll of paper towels and bottle of "Nature's Miracle", cleaning up his little messes, and I know he sees me doing this. I mean, I'm not waiting for him to turn his head or walk away from me before i start cleaning away. Can anyone enlighten me or this idea just a bunch of :poo: ?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have never heard of that. I clean up in front of mine also. Maybe someone else can enlighten us

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have never heard this before either....?? What I know when Vegas was younger and would have an accident, while I was bent over with spray and paper towels, he would hump my back while bent over!!:eek: Nothing like having to clean pee with one hand and correcting his behavior with the other! I do believe that sometimes they do it for attention.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have never heard this before either....?? What I know when Vegas was younger and would have an accident, while I was bent over with spray and paper towels, he would hump my back while bent over!!:eek: Nothing like having to clean pee with one hand and correcting his behavior with the other! I do believe that sometimes they do it for attention.

i'm picturing this in my mind and can't help but laugh! but i do believe you are right, [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION], about the attention part of it. During the wk while i'm at work Tate's only allowed in the kitchen/entry way area and he almost always goes on his pee pads (according to his sitter who comes by twice a day to check on him)...but during this past wknd he was peeing all over the place and i was wondering what the heck was going on. then i thought maybe it's 'cuz i was home w/him all wknd and he wanted to get as much attention from me as he could. I dunno:confused:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I don't know, it sounds logical. Since bullies aim to please and don't want you to be upset or angry, I focus my anger on the mess while I am cleaning it up.

Like oh Noooo this is so tragic!! How dare this mess show up in my house!! Bad mess!!!! BAAAAD!!!!!

They look at me like oh sheesh she is really upset about this.....

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
It seems logical but I don't really know that it would make a difference.

I don't know that a young dog necessarily associates it? I know Delilah gets ashamed right after she does it and walks away, haha..

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)

I spit out my water on this one!:p

Seriously, though, I did it all the time too but I let it be known I was not happy about it. I would grumble and be grumpy and ask him if he did it etc. I wouldn't ever yell or anything...just kind of used tone and body language to let him know I was not happy about it.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I have heard of this(read). but I think its silly. Potty training is hard ,you just got to be persistent and keep on a schedule. I used a cleaner without amonia and it was really good(hartz). Mocha was also hard to potty trained as she never barked at the door, She would just walk to the door and sit there. We finally understood was she was trying to let us know. A little tip, dont give water about and hour before bed time, and take your puppy out to potty just before you are going to bed. They should always go out right after nap time and after feeding. :hug2:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I heard a dog expert on the radio say that if your dog sees you in the spot where he pooped, he's going to think you are visiting the site yourself and therefore condoning his actions.

L

Lucy-licious

I did as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] suggests and I must say grumbling at the mess sure helped me get rid of my frustration whilst it let Lucy know that mess in the house was naughty! Worked well here :D

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I don't know, it sounds logical. Since bullies aim to please and don't want you to be upset or angry, I focus my anger on the mess while I am cleaning it up.

Like oh Noooo this is so tragic!! How dare this mess show up in my house!! Bad mess!!!! BAAAAD!!!!!

They look at me like oh sheesh she is really upset about this.....

I will have to give this a try w/his potty training. The acting upset bit works sometimes when Tate bites me--he starts crying and licking my face when he sees me crying...but then again, he'll bite me again a few minutes later! Maybe i'm just not a good enough actress!:bang:

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Oliver tries to help me clean it up by stepping on the paper towel and getting in the way when I'm spraying the spot cleaner on it!! He may think it's helping but he really just gets in the way. I will have to "yell" at the mess instead of complaining to him and see if this helps. He is getting better about pooping, or maybe I am just better trained to spot him, but he will still just pee wherever and whenever he needs to.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i dont really think it makes much difference where bullys are concerened,they can be hard to housebreak anyway,feeding routinr is key and many trips outside ,never leave the dog unsupervised round the house till they are fully house brok,but not many bullys are ever fully house broke,mine is 10 months and still toilets through the night,i know she can go through,if she sleeps in our room she does nothing but if left downstairs she messes,when she messes i say nothing i just clean it up,i use white vinigar on hard floors and concrete as it gets rid of any doggy smells,its only time with a bully cos they are so stubborn,karen

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.