KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hi everyone,

I am a first time EB owner and noticed that our 8-week old puppy, Brisket, sounds congested when he sleeps. It doesn't matter the position he is in when he is sleeping, he always sounds that way. We got him about a week ago and had already be dewormed and recieved his first round of shots, but he was the runt of the litter. He has a vet appointment on Friday, but I was hoping for some insight. Is this normal for EB puppies?

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Hi, it's good that you're having him checked. It is not normal for EB puppies. It could be a variety of things, but you better wait what the vet says. If it gets any worse you better try to get him checked sooner.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
My 1 year old bully, Jackson, had what I thought was congestion when we got him at 8 weeks. The breeder ( who has bred EBD for 30 years) assured me it was just a little congestion after drinking water or eating. She brought him to the vet to be checked out before we picked him up and his lungs were fine, and they could not find anything wrong. She assured me he would most likely grow out of it. He too was the runt and quite small compared to his littermates. At his first vet visit with me, the vet also could find nothing wrong, but could hear the congestion off and on. What the vet did tell me was that Jackson had an elongated soft palate and that could affect his breathing down the road. Otherwise, he was perfectly normal. I mentioned to the breeder the palate issue and she adamantly disputed the find- she said he was MUCH too young to diagnose it and that all puppies have longer soft palates, and a good percent of them will grow normally! Good news is , Jackson is now 1, he is no longer the runt ( my son has his brother and Jackson has 7 lbs on him!) and the congestion went away on it's own within 4-5 months. We have a new vet and she said his soft palate in completely normal ( she saw him for the first time at 8 months old ). Good to get the congestion checked, watch him after drinking and eating. Hopefully, it is just a "runt" thing and he will grow out of it fine!!!

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Hi, it's good that you're having him checked. It is not normal for EB puppies. It could be a variety of things, but you better wait what the vet says. If it gets any worse you better try to get him checked sooner.

Yea I am worried for him, but it hasn't gotten any worse over these past few days. It has been on and off. Doesn't happen all the time but mostly when he's dreaming and start yelping and twitching in his sleep so hoping it just has to do with being on the smaller side. Thank for your input, I will definitely keep an eye on him in case it warrants an earlier trip to the vet.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
My 1 year old bully, Jackson, had what I thought was congestion when we got him at 8 weeks. The breeder ( who has bred EBD for 30 years) assured me it was just a little congestion after drinking water or eating. She brought him to the vet to be checked out before we picked him up and his lungs were fine, and they could not find anything wrong. She assured me he would most likely grow out of it. He too was the runt and quite small compared to his littermates. At his first vet visit with me, the vet also could find nothing wrong, but could hear the congestion off and on. What the vet did tell me was that Jackson had an elongated soft palate and that could affect his breathing down the road. Otherwise, he was perfectly normal. I mentioned to the breeder the palate issue and she adamantly disputed the find- she said he was MUCH too young to diagnose it and that all puppies have longer soft palates, and a good percent of them will grow normally! Good news is, Jackson is now 1, he is no longer the runt ( my son has his brother and Jackson has 7 lbs on him!) and the congestion went away on it's own within 4-5 months. We have a new vet and she said his soft palate in completely normal ( she saw him for the first time at 8 months old ). Good to get the congestion checked, watch him after drinking and eating. Hopefully, it is just a "runt" thing and he will grow out of it fine!!!

This is so encouraging! I have never raised a runt before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I just couldn't turn him down. He was adorable and my husband loved his laziness! Of course, it was more of a front, as soon as he got home he was everywhere!

I hope it is just a runt thing. You made me feel a little better about it though, I will be keeping a close eye on him and see what the vet says. Thanks for taking the time to respond! Jackson seems like a great pup! and your both lucky to have each other!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] mentioned wait till vet tells you whatā€™s wrong. For elongated soft palate, it doesnā€™t happen at that age way too young n thatā€™s ā€œifā€ it ever happens. I personally would wait for all shots till the lungs clear up. You always want a healthy puppy before getting any shots. Thereā€™s no rush.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] mentioned wait till vet tells you whatā€™s wrong. For elongated soft palate, it doesnā€™t happen at that age way too young n thatā€™s ā€œifā€ it ever happens. I personally would wait for all shots till the lungs clear up. You always want a healthy puppy before getting any shots. Thereā€™s no rush.

He has his appointment for his next round of vaccinations on Friday, and I called the vet right now and sent a video of his breathing, they think it may be stenotic nares and may need to be corrected with surgery, but won't have a definite diagnosis until then. Will have to wait and see. Definitely won't let them give him any shots unless lungs are clear.

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
This is so encouraging! I have never raised a runt before, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I just couldn't turn him down. He was adorable and my husband loved his laziness! Of course, it was more of a front, as soon as he got home he was everywhere!

I hope it is just a runt thing. You made me feel a little better about it though, I will be keeping a close eye on him and see what the vet says. Thanks for taking the time to respond! Jackson seems like a great pup! and your both lucky to have each other!
Keep us posted and lots of pictures please! He is just adorable!! I LOVE his name!!!:yes:

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
D4274386-B510-4D9D-BBB1-152A644B0040.jpeg204830DD-9F1E-4238-82AF-1FF8F45F4411.jpeg

Here he is sleeping on mommas lap! He will cry nonstop at my desk until I carry him on to my lap for a nap. Heā€™s such a cuddler when heā€™s not in a bitting mood lol.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
I just brought Brisket to the vet. His breathing got faster and more shallow, and decided not to risk it

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Keep us updated! Many prayers for Brisket and you[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket
Turns out our little one got into a stack of papers and swallowed a closed staple!! :fie: I was horrified! Vet said that it looks like itā€™s passing through GI tract so to just keep checking for it in his ��. He also had a little cold so heā€™s on antibiotics. Vet will be seeing him again next week to check in.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Thank goodness heā€™s ok!

Silly bully puppies, like toddlers and watched constantly.

Hazel thankfully grew out of that stage.
Brutus once ate one of our friends fake boob, silicone bra inserts [emoji38][emoji849]
That was the worst weā€™ve dealt with along the ā€œeatingā€ lines.

OP
KrysA724

KrysA724

Aug 4, 2020
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brisket

Brutus once ate one of our friends fake boob, silicone bra inserts [emoji38][emoji849]

:ROFL: thatā€™s too funny!! Iā€™m thinking I should probably take out the eyes and the nose from his puppy he loves to chew! image.jpg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

:ROFL: thatā€™s too funny!! Iā€™m thinking I should probably take out the eyes and the nose from his puppy he loves to chew! View attachment 119534

Below are 3 pieces of fabric that were braided together into a tug toy. Louie had it in his stomach for probably 2 months. They were still twisted together when he threw them up. It took me awhile to figure out what it was. Very lucky he threw it up. He had still been acting normal so I would have never suspected anything. Heā€™s not allowed to have any stuffie toys or any toys with appendages. Heā€™s also eaten part of a blanket.

ceaa6c67efd90a8cbf03ae3224ff1308.jpg

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online