Moving With Moose ...Advice Needed

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Hello all! Hope the quarantine has allowed you to spend more time with your fur babies.

I am proud to say that Moose is becoming a homeowner :excited::excited:

So, we have been living in our apartment for the last 3 years and it's all that Moose knows. I need some advice on how to make the transition as easy as possible for him...it's going to be all new for him...a new place, much bigger at that, and his daily routine will be rocked. What is the best way to make the move easy? Any advice is appreciated?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Congrats! We moved into our house a few months before Louie turned 1 and he’s 3 now. He actually adjusted very easy and in his own! We didn’t have to do anything special. Jax took a bit longer to adjust but figured things out pretty quickly. Moose might be a little weary at first but I bet he’ll come around quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Congratulations on your house! We moved from a flat to our house when Castor was 2.5. When we had bought the place, we took Castor there once before we moved in just so that he could have a look - not sure if that was important but we had a really smooth transition. It helped that we didn't really change location - we moved a couple of blocks so Castor new the area even though he hadn't been exactly in this spot before. The fascinating thing was that after we had walked him to our new place that first time, he new the way.

We didn't do anything special apart from spending as much time as possible at home the first months in the new place and to fix the stairs. It was a big change in that we moved from a flat to a townhouse with four floors, so even though Castor was good with stairs before, it took a little while for him to go up and down on his own. The first thing we bought here were actually carpet stair treads, and the first weeks we blocked off the stairs on the top floor where we sleep so he wouldn't fall down if he decided to go sleep-walking.

My advice is to puppy-proof the new place and to be there with him as much as possible. We didn't get any new furniture or anything but just moved our stuff into the new house which I think was good as beds, rugs, and everything else was familiar to Castor. We also didn't change his routines (kept the same schedules as far as possible, same food, etc) although we did start going to a nearby park where he could meet all the dogs in the neighbourhood. That was good for him (and for me as I got to know the neighbours!).

Now, I also think the way we humans responmd to change is important. We were so happy for our house and I think Castror could tell. We have a little patio which was great compared to the small balcony we had before. We moved in late autumn and our gardening activities mainly consisted of trying to clear up what was a very badly kept area. Castor helped out and the following spring when we started laying out our tiny garden, we planned it so that it would be nice for Castor too. So all in all, my advice is to do what you would do anyway but to keep an eye on what Moose might want out of the new house.

Good luck and please tell us how things go!

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Congratulations on your house! We moved from a flat to our house when Castor was 2.5. When we had bought the place, we took Castor there once before we moved in just so that he could have a look - not sure if that was important but we had a really smooth transition. It helped that we didn't really change location - we moved a couple of blocks so Castor new the area even though he hadn't been exactly in this spot before. The fascinating thing was that after we had walked him to our new place that first time, he new the way.

We didn't do anything special apart from spending as much time as possible at home the first months in the new place and to fix the stairs. It was a big change in that we moved from a flat to a townhouse with four floors, so even though Castor was good with stairs before, it took a little while for him to go up and down on his own. The first thing we bought here were actually carpet stair treads, and the first weeks we blocked off the stairs on the top floor where we sleep so he wouldn't fall down if he decided to go sleep-walking.

My advice is to puppy-proof the new place and to be there with him as much as possible. We didn't get any new furniture or anything but just moved our stuff into the new house which I think was good as beds, rugs, and everything else was familiar to Castor. We also didn't change his routines (kept the same schedules as far as possible, same food, etc) although we did start going to a nearby park where he could meet all the dogs in the neighbourhood. That was good for him (and for me as I got to know the neighbours!).

Now, I also think the way we humans responmd to change is important. We were so happy for our house and I think Castror could tell. We have a little patio which was great compared to the small balcony we had before. We moved in late autumn and our gardening activities mainly consisted of trying to clear up what was a very badly kept area. Castor helped out and the following spring when we started laying out our tiny garden, we planned it so that it would be nice for Castor too. So all in all, my advice is to do what you would do anyway but to keep an eye on what Moose might want out of the new house.

Good luck and please tell us how things go!

Thank you! We are in a similar situation...Moose is 2.5 years old and we are moving in the same town just 2 miles down the road. Moose isn't too fond of stairs. We take the elevator in the apartment building to go out. In the house we will be sleeping upstairs so I am thinking I may have to carry him each time until he gets comfortable. He usually can go up, but is very selective when he goes down :) Any thoughts on how to get him comfortable with stairs?

I hadn't thought of it, but that's a really good point...a lot of the furniture will stay the same and he can quickly adapt to his routine.

I will keep you posted!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Congrats on the new home!!! I don't have any advice, sorry BUT Joey and I will be moving into to new home (as soon as we find the right spot) so I will be watching this thread closely! Joey will be 5 years old at the end of May and she has only ever lived at the house we just sold. We are staying with my sister while we shop for our perfect place. Joey is very used to staying here as she always stayed with my sister when I traveled for work.

As I said I will be watching this thread closely, PLEASE post updates as to Moose's adjustment. GOOD LUCK !!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you! We are in a similar situation...Moose is 2.5 years old and we are moving in the same town just 2 miles down the road. Moose isn't too fond of stairs. We take the elevator in the apartment building to go out. In the house we will be sleeping upstairs so I am thinking I may have to carry him each time until he gets comfortable. He usually can go up, but is very selective when he goes down :) Any thoughts on how to get him comfortable with stairs?

I hadn't thought of it, but that's a really good point...a lot of the furniture will stay the same and he can quickly adapt to his routine.

I will keep you posted!

Walking with him down the stairs might be a good routine. Castor these days sometimes has pain in his legs and if he doesn't want to go down the stairs, I put on his harness and hold on to that, helping him down, so that might work for you too if Moose hesitates to go down. I f you will have wooden stairs, I really recommend carpet stair treads so that he (or you!) won't slip on the stairs.

Keep us posted!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Got Jake last year and he never did I stairs. He figured the 4 steps in 3 months. So he basically looks at them before jumping on the 2 step then flies into the kitchen. But if there is more that 4-5 steps he gets confused lol..

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Congratulations on getting your home! During our married life, my husband and I moved several times,wanting more land for our animals. We always had four or five dogs, and never had a problem with them adapting. Some of the moves were very long drives. They were so happy to be out of the vehicles, that they didn't mind anything else! Just act like it's no big deal, and they don't think so either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Congratulations on the new home!!!

Some will adjust without skipping a beat.... others need time.
Our girl Banks, when we moved was very depressed at first because we were in an apartment for 4 months, so when the house finished, we went to the site and let he walk the rooms the few days before settlement (shhhh) and she was perfect the night we moved in, relaxed and adjust just fine.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We moved 5 times cross country with 3-4 dog in tow each time. I would agree, some dogs adjust differently but I have found as soon as we intro'd our dogs to their "spots" (ie where we put their beds, kennels and food), the became well adjusted.

Our Great Dane caused us the most issues when we moved from VA to CO because he regressed a bit with housebreaking (he was under 1 when we moved) but it was quickly resolved.

I would suggest kenneling or confining moose into a room while you are moving items out of/into the house - I've seen that cause the most stress to my pack.

Good luck with the move and congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you all for the nice wishes and advice. I have a feeling he will be just fine. To [MENTION=9875]cefe13[/MENTION] point we are bringing our furniture so a lot of the things in the house he will be familiar with.I may take him for a walk around the house a couple of time before we move just so he gets familiar with the area. I'm excited that he will have a patio door and can now look outside all of the time, that's his favorite thing.

We are expecting to move at the end of June, so will keep you all posted!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We moved 5 times cross country with 3-4 dog in tow each time. I would agree, some dogs adjust differently but I have found as soon as we intro'd our dogs to their "spots" (ie where we put their beds, kennels and food), the became well adjusted.

Our Great Dane caused us the most issues when we moved from VA to CO because he regressed a bit with housebreaking (he was under 1 when we moved) but it was quickly resolved.

I would suggest kenneling or confining moose into a room while you are moving items out of/into the house - I've seen that cause the most stress to my pack.

Good luck with the move and congrats!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yes, good advice not to let Moose see when you move things. Castor helped out when we packed everything in boxes in our old place (gosh how many boxes!) but the day the moving company came, he went to my parents and then we picked him up and brought him into the new house that evening. There were boxes in some rooms for a long time, but we made sure some things were set up from start, like our son's room (where Castor's bed is) and the kitchen. So same old bed and same old bowl, things like that are important.

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
So we are moved in. Day 5 at the house.
First day Moose was worked up and panting all day. So at night took him to the apartment in familiar territory.
Second day he was ok with the house, BUT he was afraid of stairs and had never been upstairs. I carried him and he held on for his life but was able to sleep.
Third day he made it halfway up the stairs.
Fourth day he made it all the way up...
Now we are working on trying to teach him to come down himself.

I will post a video soon of his first entrance into the house.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
So we are moved in. Day 5 at the house.
First day Moose was worked up and panting all day. So at night took him to the apartment in familiar territory.
Second day he was ok with the house, BUT he was afraid of stairs and had never been upstairs. I carried him and he held on for his life but was able to sleep.
Third day he made it halfway up the stairs.
Fourth day he made it all the way up...
Now we are working on trying to teach him to come down himself.

I will post a video soon of his first entrance into the house.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this update!!!! I am happy to hear that Moose is adapting!! Great information, Joey and I will be moving in about a month......Hope it is a smooth transition. Did Moose go to the house AFTER your stuff was moved in or was he there during? Sorry if you posted that somewhere, I could not find. LOL

Sue

OP
bulldogs1501

bulldogs1501

Dec 22, 2017
NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moose
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this update!!!! I am happy to hear that Moose is adapting!! Great information, Joey and I will be moving in about a month......Hope it is a smooth transition. Did Moose go to the house AFTER your stuff was moved in or was he there during? Sorry if you posted that somewhere, I could not find. LOL

Sue

Hi!!! He was at the house with my wife as we were moving things in. He was a little confused as all the things that he knows and smells (couch, for example) were there but in a different setting. After a couple of hours of being excited/anxious he laid down. That first day we went back to the apartment with him and on the second day he was already familiar with the first floor. The mistake we made was we never took him upstairs so when we did it was once again all new to him.

Now he is already adapted and is snoring underneath my desk as I type this :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.