Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Hello

I will be going back to work soon and I work at a restaurant from 4pm-10pm. I have my neighbor letting my EBD out to go to the bathroom during my work hours. Although it really breaks my heart that he will be left alone for a long time. During quarantine, we would spend the whole day together every single day. We would go on walks and play, etc. Plus my EBD is super active like a Lab!!! Now that I have to go back to work he may feel depressed as it is not gonna be the same as before. Sometimes I keep him in the Kitchen and sometimes crate when I run errands.

How long do you all keep your EBD in the crate?
For the people who you ask to let your EBD out , do you ask them to take them for a walk?
What do you leave your EBD with, to keep them busy?
Any advise on my situation?

Just curious if you have all experienced this before. I really don't want my EBD to get depressed esp. he's super active.
IMG_9338.jpg
Thank you

ldenne

Jul 18, 2015
Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiberius
Ours when we both have to work and the kids are in school has been in his crate 6-8hrs. We make sure to take him out early and get some out time with him and then he is taken out as soon as we get home and taken out and played with with outside. He can be pretty active but has adapted well to his schedule- if I had someone I could trust I would have him taken out but we donā€™t. And he doesnā€™t like strangers near the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Ours when we both have to work and the kids are in school has been in his crate 6-8hrs. We make sure to take him out early and get some out time with him and then he is taken out as soon as we get home and taken out and played with with outside. He can be pretty active but has adapted well to his schedule- if I had someone I could trust I would have him taken out but we donā€™t. And he doesnā€™t like strangers near the house.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your thoughts on this. I haven't left my EBD for 6 hours but maybe I will get him used to it now. Ill just make sure he goes to the bathroom first and all settled before he goes in the crate. Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Also have done 6-8 hours.... both crated and feee roam in a gated room.
We now have a pit sitter and based on temperature/weather, a walk is included. Otherwise, it is a 30 mins play/potty session in our yard or basement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Most likely he'll be sleeping away the hours while you worry about him. The only thing that you can control is the worry. Don't do it...he'll be fine and will be super excited when you get home and let him out.

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Also have done 6-8 hours.... both crated and feee roam in a gated room.
We now have a pit sitter and based on temperature/weather, a walk is included. Otherwise, it is a 30 mins play/potty session in our yard or basement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much! I will be having someone to tale
him out and will ask the person to play for 30 mins each time!

OP
walterenglishbulldog
Feb 9, 2020
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Most likely he'll be sleeping away the hours while you worry about him. The only thing that you can control is the worry. Don't do it...he'll be fine and will be super excited when you get home and let him out.

Yes thats true. Sometimes when I run for errands I worry when I see him awake on our pet camera. I always worry about him being depressed or bored. But you are right!255D29D0-E5E2-4189-9AF6-E904DA9E39D9.jpeg

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
He will be fine, Dudley used to be left from 8am untill 4pm with a dog walker coming around for a 30min play and potty break.

It originally started as a 30 min walk he was taken on but after having a CCL operation he had to rest for twelve weeks and after that he decided he preferred a 30 min play with the dog walker in the garden and point blank refused to go for a walk with him :no:

We also had cameras fitted around the house because we felt bad that he only had the run of our small hallway while we were out and wanted to give him run of the whole downstairs but be able to keep an eye on him.

All that confirmed is that he barely moves from his bed all day even though all the doors are open and he has a big comy sofa he could get on but never does when we are not home :D

There is nothing worse though than having a quick look on the camera only to see him sat in the middle of the room alone with his head and shoulders down looking sad, two minutes later though hes asleep again :)

Kayleigh

May 12, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
This was a helpful read! I will most likely be going back to work soon too, but have already been trying to leave our pup for a few hours at a time so he doesn't get anxiety or depressed when we do... We've done this since we've had him so he does get used to it, but it's such a worry!

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Heā€™s such a cutie. I really donā€™t have any advice , only a comment .

I leave pee pads out and he does well when I am not around .

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.