Skin condition.... NEED HELP....

frankng

Apr 14, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
tank
Hello everyone,
Iā€™m having trouble with my Tank. He is only 5 months old but He is having ā€œbald spotā€ and start loosing hair on the spot dramatically. Anyone know what happen to his skin and hair? Iā€™m feeding him food from Fromm hold puppy but it does not help with his skin at all.:(

Attachments

• D67CF6EF-7F6B-4C31-90A3-40A9840CD2CF.jpeg
    D67CF6EF-7F6B-4C31-90A3-40A9840CD2CF.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
  • B948207E-169A-4088-98C4-FFD9237A873D.jpeg
    B948207E-169A-4088-98C4-FFD9237A873D.jpeg
    986.6 KB · Views: 220

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
That looks like the beginning of a hot spot...that he's scratching for some reason. The area around his eye looks allergy related. He may not be tolerating the primary protein in the Fromm, which is chicken...some dogs don't. Try a different puppy formula with a different protein. Duck has proven to be best tolerated by our dogs. Some swear by Pork, others Venison, etc. You may have to experiment a bit. When you get the right food you should know it within a week's time. I'm not sure if you'll find a single protein puppy food so it might be time to move him to adult food.
Buy several small bags of different single protein foods...Acana, Zignature, Orijen are all high quality foods.
Keep in mind...it may be some other internal/external cause...bath shampoo not fully rinsed, fleas, demodectic mange, his bedding, the beginning of staph infection...etc

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
At that young an age would probably be good to take him to vet to get checked for mange with a skin scraping, just in case.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
At 5 months of age, my first guess would be a vet check to scrape and rule out mange

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aperchek

Apr 11, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I've been a long time lurker on this forum but haven't posted much. I now have my own black tri bully puppy and have rejoined the fun! I know this is a rather late reply but maybe it'll help the OP or someone else. Anyway, I've been around bulldogs my whole life and have come across this same skin condition with my ex-girlfriend's bulldog (outside of your bulldog's eye lesions). It turned out to be just a food issue, as oscarmayer pointed out. We took the dog to the vet, who had us use antibiotics, antifungal shampoo etc. which barely helped to alleviate about 25% of the spots. We used the antibiotics/antifungals for 30 days, mind you. I received a tip from a friend to change the food, and voila, within a week we noticed 60% of the spots gone. Within 2 weeks, it was completely eliminated and the fur was filling back in. I wish I could help you out with the name of the food we switched to, but like oscarmayer said, it will take some experimenting but switch to one with different meats/grains.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello everyone,
Iā€™m having trouble with my Tank. He is only 5 months old but He is having ā€œbald spotā€ and start loosing hair on the spot dramatically. Anyone know what happen to his skin and hair? Iā€™m feeding him food from Fromm hold puppy but it does not help with his skin at all.:(

Follow @ocsarmayer ā€˜s tips....

I personally would change food according to the eye area. Looks inflamed n yeasty. Tank needs a good probiotic so it can build his immune system stronger for bacteria, viruses, inflammation etc.... He needs his gut flora to get back on track or youā€™ll have more issues. Aside from Fromm, you give him what as treats? Also for a good probiotic some members buy it online. I give it as food. Fermented sauerkraut or fermented veggies. I find works better than pill form. My previous bully had same issues with his back fur. As soon as I put him on a full raw diet like [MENTION=11588]aperchek[/MENTION] mentioned, it completely disappeared. If you donā€™t want to go raw, you will have to figure out whatā€™s in that bag thatā€™s not working for him. Why we suggest to buy single protein bags. I prefer Acana as you get higher quality n more protein flavours. Also easier to monitor if there is any allergies. Start with Duck as itā€™s easier to digest. If you see he has no issues after that bag get another flavour like beef or lamb or pork.... the more rotation you introduce a puppy especially at that age the more the immune system will build up n avoid allergies or skin issues. Go to your grocery store n buy raw organs like liver or buy beef, chicken hearts etc. Yes chicken, definitely introduce him to chicken at a young age. Chopped everything up n use it as a raw topper on meals. About 1/4 cup 2x a day. Thatā€™s your probiotic right there. Raw! Freeze portions in little ziploc bags like that youā€™ll have some ready.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.