Looking for travel tips for Bulldogs

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I am going on a 14 hour road trip . My dad passed away yesterday. I decided to drive to his place instead of flying so, I can bring Bruschi. The purpose is just to take care of business . Not staying very long .

I need some what to bring check list.
I got his food, water , snacks, blanket and a toy. Got his wipes for paws cleaning . This my first time traveling with a dog.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Iā€™m so sorry about your dad. :(

I travel with my dogs too. Well was really Duke n Nyala. Weā€™ve been going on the east side of Canada (family) so basically we do almost 4,000KM which is 3 day ish. You got everything covered from what you mentioned. Only thing I can add is stop a few times. I bring a ball n park at a far end shopping area where thereā€™s nobody. Would roll their ball so they can run n stretch. Then give them a snack, walk around for potty etc. I basically stopped a good 30mins for them. I drive by the Great Lakes so that pit stop is a good hour. They would play in the water. Itā€™s really fun to travel with your dog. In your case 14hrs, depending on how active he is, I would stop at least 2x. If Iā€™m not mistaken Bruschi is an active dog so give him a good walk or run. Youā€™re going to enjoy traveling with Bruschi. If you drive by water itā€™s worth stopping longer. :) If he loves vehicles, you should be fine. I know itā€™s definitely not a vacation but try to enjoy your traveling time. Let us know how Bruschi loved his drive... Again sorry for your loss. Big hugs!!

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™m so sorry about your dad. :(

I travel with my dogs too. Well was really Duke n Nyala. Weā€™ve been going on the east side of Canada (family) so basically we do almost 4,000KM which is 3 day ish. You got everything covered from what you mentioned. Only thing I can add is stop a few times. I bring a ball n park at a far end shopping area where thereā€™s nobody. Would roll their ball so they can run n stretch. Then give them a snack, walk around for potty etc. I basically stopped a good 30mins for them. I drive by the Great Lakes so that pit stop is a good hour. They would play in the water. Itā€™s really fun to travel with your dog. In your case 14hrs, depending on how active he is, I would stop at least 2x. If Iā€™m not mistaken Bruschi is an active dog so give him a good walk or run. Youā€™re going to enjoy traveling with Bruschi. If you drive by water itā€™s worth stopping longer. :) If he loves vehicles, you should be fine. I know itā€™s definitely not a vacation but try to enjoy your traveling time. Let us know how Bruschi loved his drive... Again sorry for your loss. Big hugs!!

Yes, the pit stops for him to walk and sniff. I know he will love it. The drive will be therapeutic for me to see the mountains and scenary . My dad was my buddy, we have great memories watching the Patriots in San Diego, CA. I was an embarrassment in a good way lol
Bruschi will have fun and get to sniff his grandpaā€™s apt before we clean it and pack up some stuff. My dad knew Porkchop and she loved him bec he let her do whatever she wanted. She was a man dog . Always submissive to men haha My dad knew about Bruschi but never met.

Sounds like your pups had a blast traveling with you. We love them so much!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Please accept my condolences. You seem to have covered the essentials here; like stated above, taking breaks is essential (for you as well as for the dog). I would also say you need a harness or car crate for safety reasons.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Before you head out, locate an emergency Vet near your eventual destination and learn how to get there by the shortest route. Enter the address into car's GPS or your phone.
Store the EVet phone number. Be prepared for that worst case scenario. I feel the better prepared you are for it, the less likely it is to happen.
Poop bags, any meds or supplements he might take, pepcid, benadryl, a roll of paper towels, bath towel, a crate, an extra lead, several bottles of water.
We measure and bag each meal in Ziplocks...enough for the expected time and a couple extra days. If I think of anything else, I'll edit.
We travel a lot with out guys.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry about your Dad... safe travels, I think everyone has got you covered!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So very sorry for the loss of your father.... safe travels.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Sorry for your loss. No travel advice as I have yet to do it but everyone has you covered.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. Everyone has you covered as far as what to bring-glad to hear mention of paper towels-one thing I was always sure to have.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am so sorry for your loss. Be safe.

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all for the kind messages. I need to re-group myself to prepare for my road trip. I am super numb planning and just need to get through this.

You are all very kind bulldog community.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all for the kind messages. I need to re-group myself to prepare for my road trip. I am super numb planning and just need to get through this.

You are all very kind bulldog community.

(((Hugs)))).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You got this!!! BIG HUGS!!

DA0EBA1A-6100-47A7-A4FF-275496841423.gif

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Sorry for your loss...
Bella and I go on road trips every few months to my dads (only a 4 1/2 hour trip). And once a year to NY (a 15-16 hour trip) she is an awesome rider.
We bring a few toys, Nylabone and treats for the ride. And we make a stop every 3-4 hours not that she even needs to go potty, probably more for me[emoji1787][emoji23]!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.