Tail pocket red

Leo Rastegarpour

Feb 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
HELLo Iā€™m new here and had a question my bull dog tail pocket is really red and bothering him. Iā€™ve tried everything and no luck even ointments such as a&d. What can I do vet stated he need take amputation but I donā€™t want to. Please any suggestions thank you

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Recommended by our " essential oil guru" **First put him in a warm bath, and get your finger in tail pocket as deep as you can(surgical gloves if you have) and clean it out. Then you need to dry it really good. You need to get Malacetic wipes, or get clorhexadine, and dilute it,and apply it in the pocket. You need to clean it everyday,and dry- until it heals, and then at least 2 or 3 times a week. Try these things before you have amputation. Some eventually need amp, but some don't.
******* Once it is cleaned and healed-this is what our Essential oil "guru" recommends!The mix or amputation. I'll stick to the mix. Here's the potion.*15 drops Lavender 15 drops Geranium 15 drops Frankincense 15 drops Basil 10 drops Arborvitae. Fractionated*Coconut Oil*(the clear one) fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way full. Shake bottle well before using.**Use once a week to treat ears (tail and any rash) that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area. This really works, as many have used it [MENTION=19498]Leo Rastegarpour[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HELLo Iā€™m new here and had a question my bull dog tail pocket is really red and bothering him. Iā€™ve tried everything and no luck even ointments such as a&d. What can I do vet stated he need take amputation but I donā€™t want to. Please any suggestions thank you

Lynn gave you great info.... also, if you can not keep it clean and free of infection, sometimes amputation is necessary. My guy had it done at 18-10 months old, his tail was growing back into his body causing deep infections

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
At this stage when amputation is on the table, essential oils wonā€™t help, to be honest. You need to try foams or solutions with both antibacterial and antifungal properties, something like Chlorhexidine and Ketokonazol. Something like DUOXO foam. First you need to wash the pocket just pouring the Peroxide and it will get into all the crevices and make a foam and work there. After that pat dry it with paper towels. Leave it for an hour. After that apply Duoxo foam. Repeat every day. When the infection is under control, you wonā€™t need peroxide, just every day wipe with Duoxo. If you tried similar therapy for his tail pocket already, donā€™t waste time for essential oils treatment. May be then you have to consider the surgery, because sometimes the longer infection persists, the worse is the healing process after surgery.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Well, I had 2 different bully vets telling itā€™s amputation for Nyalaā€™s tail. I tried my essential oil mix n 4years later no amputation. Yes I do understand sometimes our hands our tied n definitely you might go towards surgery. But, in life, if you donā€™t try youā€™ll never know. Then if it really didnā€™t work, youā€™ll have your answer n will know what to do. I personally as most knows will try the holistic way before the chemical way. If itā€™s a life n death situation, well thatā€™s another story. Nowadays a good 50% of our medications are made with plants and their oils. Use to be higher % but I presume itā€™s easier to pop more chemicals into us. Most oils are all anti inflammatory. If you follow the recipe above n give it a few weeks, you should see results. This is not, pop a pill n get it over with. Also you really need to put gloves on, use fragrance free baby wipes, dip into to oil mix n clean as far back you can go. Repeat till your wipe comes clean. Do this every 2 days to start with.. So again up to you...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I sympathize with you as Bentley's tail pocket is on the mend. Really have to work harder in the summer when the temperatures are warm...hot.

We use a combination of the suggestions all ready mentioned.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.