paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop, age 9 yrs, has gum covering most of his teeth now. I add water to his regular food so thatā€™s not a problem. But he canā€™t manage the little biscuits anymore. Any recommendations on safe soft chew treats? I read a long time ago that some are not safe but I canā€™t find the list.

BTW, my SIL, a dental hygienist, said she often sees overgrown gums in human mouth breathers. I was telling her how Porkā€™s gums had grown over his bottom front teeth and now the back bottom teeth. That explains why heā€™s having trouble chewing the milk bones. Considering heā€™s a mouth breather, Iā€™m inclined to believe that this is not a hereditary trait but the result of the breathing.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I steam frozen green beans in the microwave and then rinse them in cold water after to wash out the pesticides.

I also give canned pumpkin(not the pie filling one) sometimes. I serve it for a few days out of the can and freeze the rest in an ice cube tray and pop them out and store in a couple of zip lock bags,and thaw a couple out each day.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I use Stella and Chewy meal mixers... very soft

02eee1c4dab2740f147cf8e1458e74ae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The Merrick Big Soft Bites are pretty soft... and you can crumble them easily into smaller pieces.

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Great idea! I didn't think of using the raw type food!

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop likes pumpkin. I mix it with some yogurt and freeze it in a cube tray and it's his 'afternoon snack'. He's gotten so used to having a little biscuit when he comes in from the outside, and then struggles to chew it, lately just spitting them out, is the reason I was looking for a soft chew treat. I tried green beans like you recommended. He wasn't too hip on those. He's getting picky in his old age. :-)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Porkchop likes pumpkin. I mix it with some yogurt and freeze it in a cube tray and it's his 'afternoon snack'. He's gotten so used to having a little biscuit when he comes in from the outside, and then struggles to chew it, lately just spitting them out, is the reason I was looking for a soft chew treat. I tried green beans like you recommended. He wasn't too hip on those. He's getting picky in his old age. :-)

Unusual for a bulldog to turn down any food !!! My dog is sitting at fridge begging for food immediately after finishing her meal. The only snack she's ever turned down is lettuce.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Unusual for a bulldog to turn down any food !!! My dog is sitting at fridge begging for food immediately after finishing her meal. The only snack she's ever turned down is lettuce.
Same as every one of our crew. And, any one of them will go after a piece of lettuce and within a few seconds I can find it on the floor all slimy and half chewed.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

the Stella and Chewy mixer will meet your need... no problem

OP
paw7004

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
But if Pork hears cellophane crackling, like opening a sleeve of Ritz Crackers or popping the plastic lid on the muffin container from the bakery, he's racing as fast as his wobbly back legs will get him to the kitchen. This does confirm that he's certainly not deaf so there's no excuse when he doesn't come when called. Reminds me of when my boys were teenagers, come to think of it....

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
But if Pork hears cellophane crackling, like opening a sleeve of Ritz Crackers or popping the plastic lid on the muffin container from the bakery, he's racing as fast as his wobbly back legs will get him to the kitchen. This does confirm that he's certainly not deaf so there's no excuse when he doesn't come when called. Reminds me of when my boys were teenagers, come to think of it....

Lol... selective hearing

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
This little turd eats lettuce, cucumbers, red cabbage, carrots and even cauliflower! Well because she sees me eating it!
The only thing Bella has turned down is lemons!
(Although if she saw me eating one I am not totally sure she wouldnā€™t eat them too![emoji23]

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
You can also try blueberries, perfect treat size! Or sliced strawberries, banana.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online