Im new, the pup is new.

HecThor

Jan 25, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
HecThor
My family is growing by one on sunday as we are driving to pick up our puppy. We named him HecThor he is 15weeks and i dont know where to start. Iam from Houston Tx and the pup is currently being fed Hills puppy (any thoughts?) would like to keep and slowly evolve his diet. I am reading the forum and learning as i go but is there anything drastic that i should know before i bring him home, or what to avoid ? Meet Hecthor.

E2BB3826-9259-4A61-B9FE-CE9859F722CA.jpg

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Welcome! HecThor is very handsome! I can offer no advice as I’m somewhat new to the scene myself.. I can say that my bulldog is like no other dog I’ve ever known... and while she is a bit more maintenance, she’s worth every ounce of effort and then some! She has grabbed my heart like no other.. so Congrats on your new family member!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Welcome! HecThor is adorable! I can’t offer advice on diet but more members will be along with advice. Is he your first ever puppy?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! He is a handsome fella!

Be ready for lots of puppy energy... schedule and consistent is key to training and following commands.

Food... Hills is not a good food, you are best to get him off it and if wanting to stay on kibble looks at a high quality kibble or if willing .. go raw which is the best option.

Here are a few options, no particular order

Zingnature
Earthborn holistic
Acana
Orijen
Fromm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

Be ready for lots of puppy energy... schedule and consistent is key to training and following commands.

Food... Hills is not a good food, you are best to get him off it and if wanting to stay on kibble looks at a high quality kibble or if willing .. go raw which is the best option.

Zingnature
Earthborn holistic
Acana
Orijen
Fromm

If you decide to get Zignature, speak to company first, since their products aren't marked whether they are suitable for all life stages, so some are and some aren't. If you decide to get Fromm, people here tend to like Fromm Heartland grain free puppy.

OP
H

HecThor

Jan 25, 2020
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
HecThor
Welcome! HecThor is adorable! I can’t offer advice on diet but more members will be along with advice. Is he your first ever puppy?

He is my first puppy of this kind. Just moved to the city but always had less maintenance dogs that run around our ranch. Mostly bird and tracking dogs

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Zingnature
Earthborn holistic
Acana
Orijen
Fromm

Puppy energy and puppy biting!!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Hi HecThor, says Castor!

Great name which combines two beautiful names, and what an adorable pup! I guess raising a bulldog pup is pretty similar to must breeds when it comes to housetraining, foog etc., but he will of course be different from your previous dogs since bulldogs are not working dogs. Our Castor has no prey drive, for instance, and is not a guard dog (although he stands his ground if he has to). He is our first builldog so my experience is limited, but I would say they are trainable but not as easy to train as working dogs. Castor is absolutely lovely but, being a bulldog, he is somewhat stubborn (or perhaps integrity - depends on how you see it, I guess!). When we're out for a walk, he sometimes just stops and refuses to move. Always the same thing: It takes 10-15 seconds, then a quick shake, and he's ready to trot along. We say it's like he needs to recalibrate before he can proceed. We live in the city centre and this only happens where there is a lot of poeple and cars. If we're out in the forest, he's like a 'normal' dog minus the prey drive!

I agree that Hill is not the best food, but on the other hand, there will be so much that is new to the pup when you bring him home so transition him slowly to some other food so he doesn't have to fight an upset stomach while settling in! Some bulldogs sometimes eat very fast so monitor him and make sure he doesn't eat to quickly.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
He is my first puppy of this kind. Just moved to the city but always had less maintenance dogs that run around our ranch. Mostly bird and tracking dogs

Good to know! I asked because I too have raised other pups in the past and there are distinct training differences, at least that’s my experience. I took the advice of members here when training Joey, who has enjoyed run of the since around 8 months of age, she’s now almost 5.

You’ve gotten great advice from really experienced members. I hope to see more photos and stories of your adventures with HecThor

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What a doll! and leaving the advice to the others, i will say that you have found the best place for good sound kind and friendly advice WE LOVE bulldogs and always want the best. Enjoy, you ARE in for a different treat than your 'working dog' style ..;) I too have always had working type dogs and ohhhhhhhhhh boy, these guys are a whole different book lol LOVE them to death, just enjoy their differences. They are a kick!!!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Welcome!!
HecThor is adorable!
Bella is my first EBD and she is by far the funniest (quirkiest) dog we have ever had!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.