Food!

CharlieDavydov

Dec 11, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Hi everyone. My pup is 5 months and 6days today. He was gaining weight perfectly fine up until last month. I was feeding him dry food three times a day. He was looking good. However he was choking on the dry food and that got him into the hospital because he threw up from the lodged food and ended up inhaling some of it and getting non cardiac pulmonary edema. So I put him back on a mix of wet and dry food. Last week the doctor told us to start feeding him four times a day because heā€™s looking a little thin. He looks like he gained weight when doing this but now heā€™s being taken care of my husband while Iā€™m at my moms with the new baby. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do. I donā€™t wanna put him back on only dry food bec I donā€™t want to go through that again. Iā€™m feeding him wellness puppy wet food and blue buffalo puppy dry food. The portion is about 25% wet food and 75% dry food. I also wet the dry food with water too before mixing. IMG_7049.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi everyone. My pup is 5 months and 6days today. He was gaining weight perfectly fine up until last month. I was feeding him dry food three times a day. He was looking good. However he was choking on the dry food and that got him into the hospital because he threw up from the lodged food and ended up inhaling some of it and getting non cardiac pulmonary edema. So I put him back on a mix of wet and dry food. Last week the doctor told us to start feeding him four times a day because heā€™s looking a little thin. He looks like he gained weight when doing this but now heā€™s being taken care of my husband while Iā€™m at my moms with the new baby. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do. I donā€™t wanna put him back on only dry food bec I donā€™t want to go through that again. Iā€™m feeding him wellness puppy wet food and blue buffalo puppy dry food. The portion is about 25% wet food and 75% dry food. I also wet the dry food with water too before mixing. View attachment 118369Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im no fan of what youā€™re feeding. Too many recalls on those brands.

2 things....1, get a slow feeding bowl, 2, get a higher quality product like Acana n you can add a bit of water in it or even better organic broth. Watch n read the sodium content. Heā€™ll be fine. I would also start adding raw organs as a topper on one meal. Heā€™s on the thin side for 5months. Go to your grocery store and buy liver n heart. Cut them up in small pieces n freeze about half a cup in little ziploc bags. Like that youā€™ll always have some on hand. The organs is full of natural probiotics which is what your dog needs on daily basis. He will thrive. Even better simply feed a raw diet.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Im no fan of what youā€™re feeding. Too many recalls on those brands.

2 things....1, get a slow feeding bowl, 2, get a higher quality product like Acana n you can add a bit of water in it or even better organic broth. Watch n read the sodium content. Heā€™ll be fine. I would also start adding raw organs as a topper on one meal. Heā€™s on the thin side for 5months. Go to your grocery store and buy liver n heart. Cut them up in small pieces n freeze about half a cup in little ziploc bags. Like that youā€™ll always have some on hand. The organs is full of natural probiotics which is what your dog needs on daily basis. He will thrive. Even better simply feed a raw diet.
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] do feed the liver and heart raw??

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
How do you wet the dry food? Nowadays Castor eats his kibble dry, but when he was younger we soaked it by pouring hot water (not warm from tap but heated in kettle) over the kibble and let it cool down. I would fix his food before taking him out and when we got back after our walk it would be cool and soft. Took about half an hour (dogs cannot eat warm food).

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] do feed the liver and heart raw?? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes feed it raw. I would like only semi-thaw it n mix it in with the kibbles in case they decide they only want raw n not the kibble. But thatā€™s me right lol...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Before I went raw with Jax I tried giving him chicken liver and he wouldnā€™t touch it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi everyone. My pup is 5 months and 6days today. He was gaining weight perfectly fine up until last month. I was feeding him dry food three times a day. He was looking good. However he was choking on the dry food and that got him into the hospital because he threw up from the lodged food and ended up inhaling some of it and getting non cardiac pulmonary edema. So I put him back on a mix of wet and dry food. Last week the doctor told us to start feeding him four times a day because heā€™s looking a little thin. He looks like he gained weight when doing this but now heā€™s being taken care of my husband while Iā€™m at my moms with the new baby. Can anyone please give me advice on what to do. I donā€™t wanna put him back on only dry food bec I donā€™t want to go through that again. Iā€™m feeding him wellness puppy wet food and blue buffalo puppy dry food. The portion is about 25% wet food and 75% dry food. I also wet the dry food with water too before mixing. View attachment 118369

Welcome to EBN... bulldogs do go through a lanky stage which might be happening here.

Are you willing to feed raw? If yes, look into Primal or Answers... many here feed raw and can give suggestions.

I buy permade from a local small source in the Poconos

Members online

No members online now.