Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 17

Thread: Questions about a supplement for Monty

  1. #1
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,252
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020
    Likes (Received)
    2893

    Default Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Since all this happened to Monty, it is a battle to get him to eat with the result that I feed him ANYTHING he shows interest in. Because of that, he is not getting a balanced diet, mostly all protein. He won't touch fruit or vegetables anymore. I have to puree everything as if there is a lump anywhere, he spits it out. His nose is working just fine and he can sniff out anything I try to slip into that puree! What can I give him to help (no powders)? I can hide a pill in Cream Cheese as it goes straight down , it's his new favourite!
    Thanks.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #2
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,094
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12333

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    Since all this happened to Monty, it is a battle to get him to eat with the result that I feed him ANYTHING he shows interest in. Because of that, he is not getting a balanced diet, mostly all protein. He won't touch fruit or vegetables anymore. I have to puree everything as if there is a lump anywhere, he spits it out. His nose is working just fine and he can sniff out anything I try to slip into that puree! What can I give him to help (no powders)? I can hide a pill in Cream Cheese as it goes straight down , it's his new favourite!
    Thanks.
    Pam nothing is wrong only with protein as long as itís all balanced out with bones, organs, muscle, blood..... but if you want semi cook green bean or add frozen berries, put it into a food processor and grind fine. Mix it into his wet protein. Donít use a blender as it will turn liquid. Gradually add small portions to the protein n not half half. Build it up so he doesnít reject it. They do sell trip in a can. Yes smells like hell but that would be one of the best thing to give for his immune system. Wear gloves!! Lol

  4. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  5. #3
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,252
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020
    Likes (Received)
    2893

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    I have to blend it as he won't eat anything with texture! Tried with a few green beans and it was like "I don't think so"!!!!
    He has been eating Chicken with chicken livers (sometimes a spoonful of greek yoghurt) plus some of the broth. I tried to add a spoon of pumpkin for loose stools and he turned his nose up.
    The canned tripe I found online is Ziwi or Tripett (which has Carrageenan!).
    Success, I just found a store that carries frozen Green Tripe so I am heading that way now!
    Thanks Helene!
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  6. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  7. #4
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,094
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12333

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    I have to blend it as he won't eat anything with texture! Tried with a few green beans and it was like "I don't think so"!!!!
    He has been eating Chicken with chicken livers (sometimes a spoonful of greek yoghurt) plus some of the broth. I tried to add a spoon of pumpkin for loose stools and he turned his nose up.
    The canned tripe I found online is Ziwi or Tripett (which has Carrageenan!).
    Success, I just found a store that carries frozen Green Tripe so I am heading that way now!
    Thanks Helene!

    I don’t think so? Lolll little brat.
    Tripe will definitely be good. Anyway whatever smells dogs will eat it..

  8. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  9. #5
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1848

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Pam nothing is wrong only with protein as long as it’s all balanced out with bones, organs, muscle, blood..... but if you want semi cook green bean or add frozen berries, put it into a food processor and grind fine. Mix it into his wet protein. Don’t use a blender as it will turn liquid. Gradually add small portions to the protein n not half half. Build it up so he doesn’t reject it. They do sell trip in a can. Yes smells like hell but that would be one of the best thing to give for his immune system. Wear gloves!! Lol
    I'm surprised you're not recommending CBD oil...

  10. #6
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,094
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12333

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    I'm surprised you're not recommending CBD oil...
    Sadly you can’t give CBD with the type of meds Monty is taking. Well I sure wouldn’t go that route n I’m for CBD. Example, if a dog even humans are on chemo/radiation meds, you can’t take CBD unless you’re/they are completely off the meds for a certain amount of weeks.
    @BabyDuke

  11. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  12. #7
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1848

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    Sadly you can’t give CBD with the type of meds Monty is taking. Well I sure wouldn’t go that route n I’m for CBD. Example, if a dog even humans are on chemo/radiation meds, you can’t take CBD unless you’re/they are completely off the meds for a certain amount of weeks.
    @BabyDuke
    What meds is he on? @1Chumly I'd mostly worry about meds toxic to the liver since CBD Oil can affect the liver too. I can check for drug interactions if you tell me which meds he's on.

  13. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  14. #8
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Alberta
    Posts
    10,094
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
    Likes (Received)
    12333

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by Dollys Owner View Post
    What meds is he on? @1Chumly I'd mostly worry about meds toxic to the liver since CBD Oil can affect the liver too. I can check for drug interactions if you tell me which meds he's on.
    A 2019 study done on mice showed that at high levels, CBD led to the elevation of liver enzymes, an indicator of liver damage. The levels of CBD used were quite high, representing the maximal dose that someone taking the CBD-based epilepsy drug Epidiolex may be taking No data is yet available on the actual liver status of humans who have taken Epidiolex, as the drug is still relatively new.

    However, it should be noted that another study found that lower levels of CBD were actually protective against alcohol-induced liver damage in mice. Researchers found that CBD was a promising treatment for damage that was associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and steatosis (fatty liver).



    Sorry but studies like so to me is BS. I would be MORE concerned on all the crap meds out there that has n is already damaging people’s body’s. With all the side effects they have which they even warn you of all the possibilities of their side effects n the risk of dying!?!?! Hell I’ll take CBD over meds anytime! That’s my 2 cents...

  15. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  16. #9
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1848

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by helsonwheels View Post
    A 2019 study done on mice showed that at high levels, CBD led to the elevation of liver enzymes, an indicator of liver damage. The levels of CBD used were quite high, representing the maximal dose that someone taking the CBD-based epilepsy drug Epidiolex may be taking No data is yet available on the actual liver status of humans who have taken Epidiolex, as the drug is still relatively new.

    However, it should be noted that another study found that lower levels of CBD were actually protective against alcohol-induced liver damage in mice. Researchers found that CBD was a promising treatment for damage that was associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and steatosis (fatty liver).



    Sorry but studies like so to me is BS. I would be MORE concerned on all the crap meds out there that has n is already damaging people’s body’s. With all the side effects they have which they even warn you of all the possibilities of their side effects n the risk of dying!?!?! Hell I’ll take CBD over meds anytime! That’s my 2 cents...
    Many herbal medications are just as toxic or more toxic than most drugs eg. black cohosh,chaparral, comfrey, ephedra, or kava. It's not good to generalize about either medications or herbs. If you really want to be safe take homeopathic medications that have the same potency as one drop of the substance in Lake Geneva, but it probably won't do much for you.

    The main danger from CBD is not the CBD, but all the contaminants and bacteria and mould in the products from substandard companies that produce them.

  17. Likes 1Chumly liked this post
  18. #10
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    13,868
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    7387

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    I give my pups NuVet Canine tabs daily... I don't know if that's something that Monty could have.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  19. Likes 2BullyMama, 1Chumly, helsonwheels liked this post
  20. #11
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member 1Chumly's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pam
    Country
    From England
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,252
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020
    Likes (Received)
    2893

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    He is back on Prednisone, only, nothing else at all now. 20 mg, once a day for 3 days, then half every other day. That was to try and improve his appetite. His two major blood work-ups were fine, X-rays, Ultrasound, Barium meal, all clear. It is something in his brain. I mentioned before about him appearing 'lost'. Standing and staring into space in another room. It is something new every day. Now he will go to a corner for a few minutes and stare. Not 'head-pressing as such but very close to it. That is a true danger sign. It is becoming a quality of life issue, and I do not want him to just exist with no joy in his life, feeling miserable.
    He would not eat this morning even with tripe. We tried 3 different meals (two, no tripe) and he even turned his nose up at chicken, chicken livers and broth. I will try again in a little while.
    Chumly 2002-2014 A gentle soul and the love of my life.

  21. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
  22. #12
    Rescue Volunteer
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,775
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Honey
    Likes (Received)
    1848

    Default Re: Questions about a supplement for Monty

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Chumly View Post
    He is back on Prednisone, only, nothing else at all now. 20 mg, once a day for 3 days, then half every other day. That was to try and improve his appetite. His two major blood work-ups were fine, X-rays, Ultrasound, Barium meal, all clear. It is something in his brain. I mentioned before about him appearing 'lost'. Standing and staring into space in another room. It is something new every day. Now he will go to a corner for a few minutes and stare. Not 'head-pressing as such but very close to it. That is a true danger sign. It is becoming a quality of life issue, and I do not want him to just exist with no joy in his life, feeling miserable.
    He would not eat this morning even with tripe. We tried 3 different meals (two, no tripe) and he even turned his nose up at chicken, chicken livers and broth. I will try again in a little while.
    Sad to hear, you can try CBD oil with him , he's not on high dose prednisone. If you do decide to get it, make sure it's organic from a high quality source.

  23. Likes 1Chumly, helsonwheels liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •