Questions about a supplement for Monty

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Since all this happened to Monty, it is a battle to get him to eat with the result that I feed him ANYTHING he shows interest in. Because of that, he is not getting a balanced diet, mostly all protein. He won't touch fruit or vegetables anymore. I have to puree everything as if there is a lump anywhere, he spits it out. His nose is working just fine and he can sniff out anything I try to slip into that puree! What can I give him to help (no powders)? I can hide a pill in Cream Cheese as it goes straight down , it's his new favourite!
Thanks.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Since all this happened to Monty, it is a battle to get him to eat with the result that I feed him ANYTHING he shows interest in. Because of that, he is not getting a balanced diet, mostly all protein. He won't touch fruit or vegetables anymore. I have to puree everything as if there is a lump anywhere, he spits it out. His nose is working just fine and he can sniff out anything I try to slip into that puree! What can I give him to help (no powders)? I can hide a pill in Cream Cheese as it goes straight down , it's his new favourite!
Thanks.

Pam nothing is wrong only with protein as long as itā€™s all balanced out with bones, organs, muscle, blood..... but if you want semi cook green bean or add frozen berries, put it into a food processor and grind fine. Mix it into his wet protein. Donā€™t use a blender as it will turn liquid. Gradually add small portions to the protein n not half half. Build it up so he doesnā€™t reject it. They do sell trip in a can. Yes smells like hell but that would be one of the best thing to give for his immune system. Wear gloves!! Lol

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to blend it as he won't eat anything with texture! Tried with a few green beans and it was like "I don't think so"!!!!
He has been eating Chicken with chicken livers (sometimes a spoonful of greek yoghurt) plus some of the broth. I tried to add a spoon of pumpkin for loose stools and he turned his nose up.
The canned tripe I found online is Ziwi or Tripett (which has Carrageenan!).
Success, I just found a store that carries frozen Green Tripe so I am heading that way now!
Thanks Helene!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have to blend it as he won't eat anything with texture! Tried with a few green beans and it was like "I don't think so"!!!!
He has been eating Chicken with chicken livers (sometimes a spoonful of greek yoghurt) plus some of the broth. I tried to add a spoon of pumpkin for loose stools and he turned his nose up.
The canned tripe I found online is Ziwi or Tripett (which has Carrageenan!).
Success, I just found a store that carries frozen Green Tripe so I am heading that way now!
Thanks Helene!

I donā€™t think so? Lolll little brat.
Tripe will definitely be good. Anyway whatever smells dogs will eat it.. :)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Pam nothing is wrong only with protein as long as itā€™s all balanced out with bones, organs, muscle, blood..... but if you want semi cook green bean or add frozen berries, put it into a food processor and grind fine. Mix it into his wet protein. Donā€™t use a blender as it will turn liquid. Gradually add small portions to the protein n not half half. Build it up so he doesnā€™t reject it. They do sell trip in a can. Yes smells like hell but that would be one of the best thing to give for his immune system. Wear gloves!! Lol

I'm surprised you're not recommending CBD oil...

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm surprised you're not recommending CBD oil...

Sadly you canā€™t give CBD with the type of meds Monty is taking. Well I sure wouldnā€™t go that route n Iā€™m for CBD. Example, if a dog even humans are on chemo/radiation meds, you canā€™t take CBD unless youā€™re/they are completely off the meds for a certain amount of weeks.
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Sadly you canā€™t give CBD with the type of meds Monty is taking. Well I sure wouldnā€™t go that route n Iā€™m for CBD. Example, if a dog even humans are on chemo/radiation meds, you canā€™t take CBD unless youā€™re/they are completely off the meds for a certain amount of weeks.
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION]

What meds is he on? [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] I'd mostly worry about meds toxic to the liver since CBD Oil can affect the liver too. I can check for drug interactions if you tell me which meds he's on.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What meds is he on? [MENTION=13737]1Chumly[/MENTION] I'd mostly worry about meds toxic to the liver since CBD Oil can affect the liver too. I can check for drug interactions if you tell me which meds he's on.

A 2019 study done on mice showed that at high levels, CBD led to the elevation of liver enzymes, an indicator of liver damage. The levels of CBD used were quite high, representing the maximal dose that someone taking the CBD-based epilepsy drug Epidiolex may be taking No data is yet available on the actual liver status of humans who have taken Epidiolex, as the drug is still relatively new.

However, it should be noted that another study found that lower levels of CBD were actually protective against alcohol-induced liver damage in mice. Researchers found that CBD was a promising treatment for damage that was associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and steatosis (fatty liver).

Sorry but studies like so to me is BS. I would be MORE concerned on all the crap meds out there that has n is already damaging peopleā€™s bodyā€™s. With all the side effects they have which they even warn you of all the possibilities of their side effects n the risk of dying!?!?! Hell Iā€™ll take CBD over meds anytime! Thatā€™s my 2 cents...

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
A 2019 study done on mice showed that at high levels, CBD led to the elevation of liver enzymes, an indicator of liver damage. The levels of CBD used were quite high, representing the maximal dose that someone taking the CBD-based epilepsy drug Epidiolex may be taking No data is yet available on the actual liver status of humans who have taken Epidiolex, as the drug is still relatively new.

However, it should be noted that another study found that lower levels of CBD were actually protective against alcohol-induced liver damage in mice. Researchers found that CBD was a promising treatment for damage that was associated with inflammation, oxidative stress, and steatosis (fatty liver).

Sorry but studies like so to me is BS. I would be MORE concerned on all the crap meds out there that has n is already damaging peopleā€™s bodyā€™s. With all the side effects they have which they even warn you of all the possibilities of their side effects n the risk of dying!?!?! Hell Iā€™ll take CBD over meds anytime! Thatā€™s my 2 cents...

Many herbal medications are just as toxic or more toxic than most drugs eg. black cohosh,chaparral, comfrey, ephedra, or kava. It's not good to generalize about either medications or herbs. If you really want to be safe take homeopathic medications that have the same potency as one drop of the substance in Lake Geneva, but it probably won't do much for you.

The main danger from CBD is not the CBD, but all the contaminants and bacteria and mould in the products from substandard companies that produce them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I give my pups NuVet Canine tabs daily... I don't know if that's something that Monty could have.

OP
1Chumly

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
He is back on Prednisone, only, nothing else at all now. 20 mg, once a day for 3 days, then half every other day. That was to try and improve his appetite. His two major blood work-ups were fine, X-rays, Ultrasound, Barium meal, all clear. It is something in his brain. I mentioned before about him appearing 'lost'. Standing and staring into space in another room. It is something new every day. Now he will go to a corner for a few minutes and stare. Not 'head-pressing as such but very close to it. That is a true danger sign. It is becoming a quality of life issue, and I do not want him to just exist with no joy in his life, feeling miserable.
He would not eat this morning even with tripe. We tried 3 different meals (two, no tripe) and he even turned his nose up at chicken, chicken livers and broth. I will try again in a little while.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
He is back on Prednisone, only, nothing else at all now. 20 mg, once a day for 3 days, then half every other day. That was to try and improve his appetite. His two major blood work-ups were fine, X-rays, Ultrasound, Barium meal, all clear. It is something in his brain. I mentioned before about him appearing 'lost'. Standing and staring into space in another room. It is something new every day. Now he will go to a corner for a few minutes and stare. Not 'head-pressing as such but very close to it. That is a true danger sign. It is becoming a quality of life issue, and I do not want him to just exist with no joy in his life, feeling miserable.
He would not eat this morning even with tripe. We tried 3 different meals (two, no tripe) and he even turned his nose up at chicken, chicken livers and broth. I will try again in a little while.

Sad to hear, you can try CBD oil with him , he's not on high dose prednisone. If you do decide to get it, make sure it's organic from a high quality source.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

You know Pam, if it was one of my 2 and I do say it often, but in a case like yours, I would be using frankincense n massage it on the head (crown). Like humans, the 2 long ā€œstemsā€ that goes along the neck towards the lower back of the skull which enters the brain, massage there too. Itā€™s been proven to rejuvenate the brain cells n studies are now seeing itā€™s helping for Alzheimer. I personally do this on myself every other day. Itā€™s in my diffuser daily.. Just a thought:)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

Poor Monty and poor you. I am for quality of life and youā€™ll know when the time is right. Sending big hugs your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So sad, I am praying for you and Monty. Whatever the outcome, everyone knows he is so loved and cared for.:pray::heart:We all love Monty,too.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online