Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity how well behaved is your OEB. I keep seeing all these post and they all look so calm and well behaved.

Bruce is just a bulldozer, he is so naughty and has so much energy. He eats anything he gets his paws on, is now ignoring all commands and he knows what they mean because he looks at you before he continues. He jumps all over guests there is no nice meet and greet lol.

He is nearly 9 month old and was just wondering if it was normal puppy behaviour and if he will begin to calm down as he gets older.

At training once a week they call him baby tank because that is all he wants to do. Tank everywhere. There is no walking on the lead with him, he just wants to run.

He is the kindest most loving dog anytime past 8PM haha all he wants then is to come and lay on me and go to sleep. Anytime before then he is just mental. He play fights with my partner all the time, he stops looks at him then launches attacks biting and growling. (This is my partners fault as this is how he has always played with him. I did tell him numerous times not to but he didn't listen) he doesn't do it to anyone else just him, but when you tell him no and to stop he doesn't till I put him in the kitchen. It's like he doesn't know when enough is enough and I dont want to keep having to put him in the kitchen.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Not all bulldogs are lazy. Every dog is different regardless of the breed. If you see that he has a lot of energy you need to make sure you work that energy out either a play session, take him for a walk bring him into the backyard if you have a fenced area and throw a ball get the energy out of him keep him occupied so that the energy is more focused instead of him demanding the attention by launching or bulldozing over you. Try to plan play sessions or exercise sessions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
HA... well you are SPOT on with normal EB behavior!!! Both of mine are terrors in their own way... and you are still in the midst of puppydom. Bulldogs are extremely stubborn by nature, and they LOVE to push the boundaries... we have seen that on here numerous times. My best advice to you is stay the course, keep training and keep consistent... I promise you, he will eventually get the program and slow down!!!

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Also get some good chew toys such as Kong or Nylabone, and some raw beef marrow bones ( around 4 in ) which you freeze first to kill any parasites. I get marrow bones from the local Asian grocery store.

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
This is great advise thank you. Love him to pieces he is just a bulldozer and demands your attention 24/7. He is such a character cant imagine him another way but boy I cant wait for him to begin to calm down.

I will definitely get some of the kong toys and some raw beef marrow anything to keep him entertained

This is him come 8PM

20200112_152505.jpg

20200112_152514.jpg

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
He’s still a puppy. All good. But definitely the partner should go to the training sessions. Lolll....

At that age the things my previous little Duke did was like yours n more. Guarantee at 5-6am he was up looking at me sleeping n trying to paw my face to wake up. All I saw was just his face above the mattress n a leg trying to reach my face... lol... Like wake up woman my day starts now, I’m hungry, I want to go pee, I want to play...But you know what, even though he was a real handful n always kept me on my toes. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. Enjoy n have fun but definitely they do need to understand when to stop n time out. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would also suggest that you give Bruce a lot more training on leash. When he is "free" he probably won't listen too you! If you need to, use a martingale collar. Sounds like he thinks he should do what HE wants to do. Your partner's wild play is certainly not helping. I would save that for after he knows how to behave.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Funny story ! Sounds a bit like my wife's old chihuahuah- her son would play really rough with it and the chihuahuah would attack him afterwards trying to nip at his ankles. Wouldn't stop till my wife yelled at her. Same chihuahuah was so fierce it would kill squirrels.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
:D:D sounds just like a bully to me! Dudley is by far the most stubborn dog i have ever come accross and as said previously in the post they really do like to push the boundaries of whats aloud but to me thats all part of there character, if Dudley did everything i told him to do all the time it just wouldn’t seem right and I probably wouldn’t spend half as much time laughing at him.

In my experience bully’s are sometimes hard work because they have just right mix of intelligence (knowing exactly what you mean and never missing a trick) and unbelievable stubbornness :D

Dudley has plenty of energy if it’s something he wants to do or somewhere he wants to go, otherwise he’s quite happy to sleep on your lap all day until hes hungry or wants a wrestle :D

OP
Amy89

Amy89

Jun 20, 2019
Country
United kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruce
I love the bully gifts. Thanks I feel so much better knowing you all went through the same thing. Totally different to my friends british bulldog.

We go training once a week and he loves it

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Not all of them slow down, unfortunately. Sandy's Pippy did not take well to obedience training and Sandy could see that it was breaking her "spirit".
She did, however, find a way to harness that energy by doing agility training. Granted, it took way more work on Sandy's part but that bit of work paid huge dividends in Pippy's life and Sandy made a whole 'nother community of friends...friends that helped her though Pippy's growth and training. Pippy was just awesome on the course...and quite fast for a Bulldog.
Just a thought.
Whatever you decide to do, you and everyone in the home needs to be on the same page. If not then your effort will be wasted. This training you are doing is more for YOU(and those that live in the home) than Bruce.

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
My girl is only a puppy 4 months old but can relate to everything that you say. We don't rough her around but she does with us and our shih tzu lol. Eats everything and has very few manners. Took us until now just to get her to sit on command. Saying all that just one look at her face and we quickly forgive her:yes:

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
You sure you haven't got my Ralph? sounds exactly like Ralph, if you come to our house Ralph will let you know he wants attention! he's full of energy.

Play fighting he absolutely loves, when i come in from work he will literally take me down to the floor with excitement.

Your partner sounds like me, i will play rough with Ralph, i have the bruises! Wife is always nagging me to stop, but he will only get a bit rough with me.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
Lexi is the same way (she's 9 months now) and she used to be a the best puppy, full of energy but good. Now she's always being naughty, I had to start kenneling again while we are gone. She's started tearing up anything laying around if we aren't looking even though she has tons of toys laying around, she even ate the ear off my ceramic bulldog that sits on the floor (I guess he wouldn't play with her :no:). I take her for walks every day and she has a fenced in back yard where she likes to terrorize her brother with ramming into him going 100 miles an hour. I'm going to sign up for some more training, but she is very active.

LEXI COURTER (4) - ORIGINAL.jpg

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Most of what ever has said sounds so familiar!!
Bella is stubborn and only listens when she wants to most of the time.
(We know it’s our fault lol, because as someone said we just have to look at her lil silly face and we just laugh and laugh!)
She definitely is the most stubborn (and I must say funniest too) dog we ever had!
She gets the zoomies every day a few times but can lay around a lot too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online