Tails

SassysMom

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
Hey all! First post here. So Iā€™m having troubles with Sassy and her ā€œtailā€. It traps poop underneath and we have to wipe her bottom every time she comes in from the yard. I worry about her getting sores underneath where I canā€™t see and Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m hurting her because Her tail is very rigid and there isnā€™t a lot of room to get my hand with a washcloth in there. Itā€™s also a pain, and because my kids donā€™t wipe her when they let her in, Iā€™m forever cleaning up poop. Obviously her wellbeing is my top priority though. Has anyone here had experience with this? Iā€™m wondering if anyone knows if vets can fix this by docking her tail or if that would be terrible for her
a2344742b0354463843ee605a5c6a18c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I would advice to order everyone in the house to clean her under the tail rather that dock or amputate it. Desitin is also very good to help when sore and to prevent it from getting sore.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
How old is Sassy? I know that sometimes as pups grow their tails will change... my Willow has a very tight tail, and I have to clean our her tail pocket regularly. But there are some members that ended up having tail amputation for their pups, it's not that unheard of... I will tag some members @2BullyMama [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

OP
SassysMom

SassysMom

Jan 10, 2020
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sassy
How old is Sassy? I know that sometimes as pups grow their tails will change... my Willow has a very tight tail, and I have to clean our her tail pocket regularly. But there are some members that ended up having tail amputation for their pups, it's not that unheard of... I will tag some members @2BullyMama [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Sheā€™s a year and a half, it has for sure gotten better since she was little but itā€™s still pretty bad. My main concern is potential infection but Iā€™m also pretty over having poop everywhere. If there was no solution I would just deal with it but if docking/ amputation is an option Iā€™d like to look into it

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=19420]SassysMom[/MENTION], Welcome to EBN! :)

How old is she? Big chances are when sheā€™ll continue growing n widen, her tail will probably not even touch her bottom butt anymore. My brindle has tail pocket issue but been cleaning it for over 4yrs. It becomes a routine/maintenance thatā€™s all. I sure wouldnā€™t do an amputation especially if itā€™s just a cleaning butt thingy. Why put a dog through an amputation, infection, meds that will throw off the immune system, the cost.....when sheā€™s perfectly healthy?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sheā€™s a year and a half, it has for sure gotten better since she was little but itā€™s still pretty bad. My main concern is potential infection but Iā€™m also pretty over having poop everywhere. If there was no solution I would just deal with it but if docking/ amputation is an option Iā€™d like to look into it

We had to have Lambeau's tail removed due to it growing back into his body and causing infections. Our girl, Banks, had a vey tight tail, most vets will not dock or remove a tail unless there is a medical need, i.e chronic infections or the tail growth causing issue.

Sassy's tail long pretty good.... it there is always poo stuck to her.... how is her poo? it is runny or too soft?

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I also wonder about the firmness of the stool. If it's too soft, this may be a food problem vs a tail cleaning problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I recommend against amputation unless there is a medical need. Cleaning is just something you may have to do for the rest of her life. A box of baby wipes(and maybe a box of latex gloves) next to the door will come in handy.

Most Reactions