New Guy. New found love for Bulldogs (Need Enlightenment)

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
none for now, hopefully soon
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, fell in love with Bulldogs late last year and seeking more info before getting one and look forward to hearing, sharing and learning.

Don't hold back please share the, good, bad and not so good. I can it.

Thanks and Happy New Year everyone.

RalphTheBulldog

Aug 30, 2019
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Ralph
I'm only new myself 1.5 years owner, but boy what a journey! We moved into a new house, pee and poo on the carpets constantly :-) but that's the same with every dog!

Bulldogs from my experience are very much attention seeking dogs and go after affection rather than seeking attention, Ralph wants love from everyone and he will make it known!

Health problems can be an issue, sensitive stomachs, getting them settled on the right food, i don't give Ralph chicken or Turkey, makes him itch.

Exercise my little cannonball loves a run, that in itself is fun to watch him trying to stop, usually does a little roll.

I pay Ā£52 a month for insurance UK.

but as i say i'm a newbie, but love Ralph to bits when he's not eating me or chewing my flip flops.

Good Luck! Happy NY. 11.jpg2222.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! You came to the right place to learn about this wonderful breed...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
The most important first thing is to find a good breeder,check out the parents, and speak to their veterinarian about their past and present dogs. Two of mine are 7 and 6 yr.s old, and haven't had any allergies or health problems-so far. Bulldogs do best with grain free, or raw foods,and a probiotic. If you decide to get pet insurance, you must get it as soon as you get the first exam.
Before the pup has any problems. They can not take the heat,and they can be stubborn. They are sweet and loving,and it always helps to have them think that something is their idea,and it is a good one!ha!ha! They are extremely smart and you have to be careful that you don't leave things around that they could swallow(not too smart about that! )There will be others here, that you will get advice from. Once you have one-you will be hooked! [MENTION=19410]radbulldog[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN! Thank you for researching before diving in... this breed needs lots of time and care.
as Lynn stated, find a good reputable breeder, start with the BCA (bulldog club of America)in your area and look for dog shows to go to and meet/talk with breeders.

they are very stubborn and strong, so training in key to keep them knowing who rules the house. Some can be couch potatoes, but not all, they can be energy filled and need more exercise.... temperament is something to look for when meeting the pups. You will want them all, but try to let the pup pick you if you go meet the pack.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
:welcome: to EBN... Youā€™ll have a lot of great info to start you off in here...

From you profile you donā€™t have a puppy yet...Like mentioned, look up the breeder, ask to see the parents, you can also call up the aspca area of the breeder if there were any issues... Write down your questions so youā€™ll know what to ask. Iā€™ve seen in your profile you wrote Purina Pro Plan as food. :no: Stay away from anything thatā€™s Purina, Royal Canin or Science Hill. All grains n fillers. Youā€™ll end up seeing your vet often. Look for a vet thatā€™s knowledgeable in EB. You can ask in here they will guide you according to your area. Iā€™m in Canada so I canā€™t help you.

Food: stick to grain free kibble like Acana, zignature or Fromm... after each bag rotate to another flavour so your puppy gets use to eating all different meat proteins. It will help your puppy to avoid a lot of food allergies later on. Add a raw organ topping on one meal a day. If possible go raw. You simply canā€™t go wrong with raw. :)

Jimbo K

Feb 13, 2018
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
All great advice, the only things that I wasnā€™t aware of physically on an a bulldog are the amount of wrinkles that need to be kept clean and the tail pocket. I got lucky and hadnā€™t had any issues with either. Bella isnā€™t overly wrinkled and thereā€™s more than enough room between her tail and the poop chute. Keep your dog cleaned up and youā€™ll avoid a couple vet visits.

Training and socializing is crucial! Everybody you meet will want to cuddle your dog, sometimes you have to be polite and just let them know that your baby isnā€™t allowed to maul people. Obedience classes are important, once you finish the course sign up and do it again!

Watch out with the toys that give them, dogs love squeaky toys but itā€™s no fun when you see them on the lawn trying to push that squeaker out. Kong, antlers, nylabone hard toys seen to be the best.

There might come a time that your puppy doesnā€™t want to do anything but maul you. Bella wasnā€™t too bad with my wife but she was like a land shark with me. Donā€™t loose your cool! Walk away, this phase will pass.

I didnā€™t have issues with food or allergies, maybe I just got lucky so I canā€™t comment on this subject.

These are only my observations, take them for what theyā€™re worth. I always had maniac sporting dogs and hadnā€™t had a puppy for about fifteen years. I chose the right breed for this time of my life, Bella and I had some growing pains but she is the most wonderful companions Iā€™ve had.

Good luck with your pup, EBDā€™s are awesome.3144875D-8144-416C-BCC4-554AA20F7854.jpeg

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
You have already been given such great advice. I cannot stress enough how important it is to find a reputable breeder that is breeding to improve the breed instead of breeding to make money.

Going to local dog shows is a great way to meet breeders and learn about the breed.

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm only new myself 1.5 years owner, but boy what a journey! We moved into a new house, pee and poo on the carpets constantly :-) but that's the same with every dog!

Bulldogs from my experience are very much attention seeking dogs and go after affection rather than seeking attention, Ralph wants love from everyone and he will make it known!

Health problems can be an issue, sensitive stomachs, getting them settled on the right food, i don't give Ralph chicken or Turkey, makes him itch.

Exercise my little cannonball loves a run, that in itself is fun to watch him trying to stop, usually does a little roll.

but as i say i'm a newbie, but love Ralph to bits when he's not eating me or chewing my flip flops.

Good Luck! Happy NY. View attachment 118254View attachment 118255

Thanks for sharing, my best to Ralph.

- - - Updated - - -

:welcome2: to EBN!!! You came to the right place to learn about this wonderful breed...

Thanks

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
The most important first thing is to find a good breeder,check out the parents, and speak to their veterinarian about their past and present dogs. Two of mine are 7 and 6 yr.s old, and haven't had any allergies or health problems-so far. Bulldogs do best with grain free, or raw foods,and a probiotic. If you decide to get pet insurance, you must get it as soon as you get the first exam.
Before the pup has any problems. They can not take the heat,and they can be stubborn. They are sweet and loving,and it always helps to have them think that something is their idea,and it is a good one!ha!ha! They are extremely smart and you have to be careful that you don't leave things around that they could swallow(not too smart about that! )There will be others here, that you will get advice from. Once you have one-you will be hooked! [MENTION=19410]radbulldog[/MENTION]

Nice that's very helpful and eye opening too, thanks for the advice.

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
:welcome: to EBN... Youā€™ll have a lot of great info to start you off in here...

From you profile you donā€™t have a puppy yet...Like mentioned, look up the breeder, ask to see the parents, you can also call up the aspca area of the breeder if there were any issues... Write down your questions so youā€™ll know what to ask. Iā€™ve seen in your profile you wrote Purina Pro Plan as food. :no: Stay away from anything thatā€™s Purina, Royal Canin or Science Hill. All grains n fillers. Youā€™ll end up seeing your vet often. Look for a vet thatā€™s knowledgeable in EB. You can ask in here they will guide you according to your area. Iā€™m in Canada so I canā€™t help you.

Food: stick to grain free kibble like Acana, zignature or Fromm... after each bag rotate to another flavour so your puppy gets use to eating all different meat proteins. It will help your puppy to avoid a lot of food allergies later on. Add a raw organ topping on one meal a day. If possible go raw. You simply canā€™t go wrong with raw. :)

Welcome to EBN! Thank you for researching before diving in... this breed needs lots of time and care.
as Lynn stated, find a good reputable breeder, start with the BCA (bulldog club of America)in your area and look for dog shows to go to and meet/talk with breeders.

they are very stubborn and strong, so training in key to keep them knowing who rules the house. Some can be couch potatoes, but not all, they can be energy filled and need more exercise.... temperament is something to look for when meeting the pups. You will want them all, but try to let the pup pick you if you go meet the pack.

Good Luck! Happy NY. View attachment 118254View attachment 118255

All great advice, the only things that I wasnā€™t aware of physically on an a bulldog are the amount of wrinkles that need to be kept clean and the tail pocket. I got lucky and hadnā€™t had any issues with either. Bella isnā€™t overly wrinkled and thereā€™s more than enough room between her tail and the poop chute. Keep your dog cleaned up and youā€™ll avoid a couple vet visits.

Training and socializing is crucial! Everybody you meet will want to cuddle your dog, sometimes you have to be polite and just let them know that your baby isnā€™t allowed to maul people. Obedience classes are important, once you finish the course sign up and do it again!

Watch out with the toys that give them, dogs love squeaky toys but itā€™s no fun when you see them on the lawn trying to push that squeaker out. Kong, antlers, nylabone hard toys seen to be the best.

There might come a time that your puppy doesnā€™t want to do anything but maul you. Bella wasnā€™t too bad with my wife but she was like a land shark with me. Donā€™t loose your cool! Walk away, this phase will pass.

I didnā€™t have issues with food or allergies, maybe I just got lucky so I canā€™t comment on this subject.

These are only my observations, take them for what theyā€™re worth. I always had maniac sporting dogs and hadnā€™t had a puppy for about fifteen years. I chose the right breed for this time of my life, Bella and I had some growing pains but she is the most wonderful companions Iā€™ve had.

Good luck with your pup, EBDā€™s are awesome.View attachment 118256

You have already been given such great advice. I cannot stress enough how important it is to find a reputable breeder that is breeding to improve the breed instead of breeding to make money.

Going to local dog shows is a great way to meet breeders and learn about the breed.

Wow the temperaments, training and the pick. I like that especially for the pup to pick me instead of the other way around. Guess that'll be the start of a lifetime journey. Thanks

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone, I'm trying to reply each response but seems I'm doing something wrong.

Really appreciate the tips and welcome note. Thanks

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Looking around and seeing the love shared, the beauty and the fun pics I feel the best I can do at the moment is get a Bulldog t-shirt, lol. Will serve as a reminder as well as an option for those of us who yearn to have one but can't at the moment (living conditions and more).

But it's been great sharing, and learning, guess I'll drop by once in a while to breathe in the bulldog love shared here.

Thanks everyone!

PS: if anyone ever wants a poem to celebrate the love, affection or memory of their beloved EB, I'll be honored to write one or make a t-shirt too.

Love you guys, I'm almost teary here. Bye ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Looking around and seeing the love shared, the beauty and the fun pics I feel the best I can do at the moment is get a Bulldog t-shirt, lol. Will serve as a reminder as well as an option for those of us who yearn to have one but can't at the moment (living conditions and more).

But it's been great sharing, and learning, guess I'll drop by once in a while to breathe in the bulldog love shared here.

Thanks everyone!

PS: if anyone ever wants a poem to celebrate the love, affection or memory of their beloved EB, I'll be honored to write one or make a t-shirt too.

Love you guys, I'm almost teary here. Bye ;)

Awwwa... hey donā€™t worry, we will always be here for you. Priorities first so puppy n you can have a happy life. No rush, do your steps. Weā€™re not going anywhere :)

OP
radbulldog

radbulldog

Jan 6, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Awwwa... hey donā€™t worry, we will always be here for you. Priorities first so puppy n you can have a happy life. No rush, do your steps. Weā€™re not going anywhere :)

Hey, love you for that. Thanks a lot :)

Members online

No members online now.