EB bad breed from.....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do not totally agree or disagree with the assertions within this article...and I certainly have very little knowledge concerning genealogy of the Bulldog.

That being said, what I do know is this...

Most(over 99%)of the rescues we bring in are NOT as this "expert Vet" has described. Back when I first got into Bulldogs(1994) the average lifespan was considered to be 8-10 years(some sources say less). It's my firm belief that this "lower than average for a dog" lifespan was, at the very least, due to lack of Bulldog knowledge and training within the Veterinary field coupled with very little knowledge on the part of owners and their inherent trust in those uninformed Vets. With the help of the internet, dedicated Bulldog sites like EBN, and the respective compassionate, intelligent, and experienced membership, the knowledge base has grown exponentially.

The vast majority of our rescued placements live to be 10+YO. In the past 10 years we've had 4 of our personal dogs eclipse 12 years(two over 14)...and not a single Bulldog in the past 15 years pass before 9. I declare that the average lifespan for a Bulldog(based on our experience) has increased in the past 25 years by 20%(from 9YO to 11+YO). That is a SUBSTANTIAL increase...and contradicts some of the basis for this sensationalized article. Further, of the 1000+ dogs that we have rescued and re-homed over the past 25 years, very few have had any of the extreme features to which the author has alluded. That's not to say that they don't exist or that there shouldn't be cause for concern that disreputable and backyard breeders are always going to be looking to line their pockets with total disregard for the BCA breeding standards that have, IMO, always had the health of the breed in mind. Some may disagree with this and declare that the BCA standards are part of the problem. I'm not one to make a judgement on this as my years of experience are simply not long enough. As far as I know the standards have remained pretty much unchanged during [my] 25 years.
As long as there is demand, unscrupulous breeders will continue to "create" a supply of designer colored and/or malformed stock. It's up to potential owners to make the right decision based on education that we(and others like us) can provide. We, at EBN, can only do but so much...just keep doing what we do and steer potential owners toward reputable breeders within the BCA and when necessary, provide help and education to owners in need.

Keep on loving your Bulldogs people!

EXACTLY!!

Almost every day I wish I had the knowledge I have today for when we first got Nitsche. We got lucky and did the right research with little knowledge we had and found a great breeder and vet... but out little guy did have issues that were caused by our lack of knowledge in caring for a bulldog. yes, I learned a lot from him, but wished I had a place like EBN when we first became owners.

stanlee

Aug 8, 2019
Leeds
Country
united kingdon
Bulldog(s) Names
Maisey
Cocker spaniel is one of the most unhealthy breeds but never gets the bad press that bulldogs get.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It has a muzzle. As long as the dog has a muzzle....

Cocker spaniel is one of the most unhealthy breeds but never gets the bad press that bulldogs get.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Btw, hows the apple cider coming along?
Great and not so great. Two batches spoiled. One batch almost used and three more brewing :) One recipe said there is no need to submerge the apples, but those batches are the ones that were spoiled. I also mixed red wine in to one. I really wait for that to be ready...

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great and not so great. Two batches spoiled. One batch almost used and three more brewing :) One recipe said there is no need to submerge the apples, but those batches are the ones that were spoiled. I also mixed red wine in to one. I really wait for that to be ready...

Wine eh? Interesting!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.