Ruff wear float coat

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Any one ever use this life jacket for your bulldog? I read that they are really good. If you have, please tell me what you think and your bulldogs size and the size jacket you have used.. I am wanting to gift one for a friend and maybe get one for Cinder this summer..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Any one ever use this life jacket for your bulldog? I read that they are really good. If you have, please tell me what you think and your bulldogs size and the size jacket you have used.. I am wanting to gift one for a friend and maybe get one for Cinder this summer..

The brand I have is Aussie Natural. I like the flap under the chin that holds the head out of the water. Nyala my brindle is the one I need to watch as sheā€™ll jump in any water...Jake I donā€™t know yet. Got him in July. You will be probably need 2 jackets till fully grown so if you can find use ones itā€™s just as good. By the summer you will probably need a medium size. They are good only if you go to a lake or beach. if youā€™re walking along a river you need to watch the currents :( Both of mine will be harnessed up on a long leash if itā€™s a simple walk along a river. When we walk them in the Rockies the river is long n so damm cold. Why itā€™s harnesses only.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We've been using the "Float Coat" for many years. It's the best as far as we know. Last summer Mini grabbed Lala's leg and Lala flipped upside down into the pool and the Float Coat turned her right side up in less than 2 seconds...That sold me on them for sure.

https://vimeo.com/381519268

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We've been using the "Float Coat" for many years. It's the best as far as we know. Last summer Mini grabbed Lala's leg and Lala flipped upside down into the pool and the Float Coat turned her right side up in less than 2 seconds...That sold me on them for sure.

Lol... and Layla, still was focused on that pool noodle!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
I have discovered that Cinder is very adventuresome and totally unaware of her safety.... She has already made a beeline for the pool and the lake . And she doesnā€™t think nothing about climbing.. I have had to baby proof my house again like I have a toddler and issue warnings to all my family members about doors and gates being kept closed.. sheā€™s built very short and heavy, so she canā€™t jump but she will sure try anything!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have discovered that Cinder is very adventuresome and totally unaware of her safety.... She has already made a beeline for the pool and the lake . And she doesnā€™t think nothing about climbing.. I have had to baby proof my house again like I have a toddler and issue warnings to all my family members about doors and gates being kept closed.. sheā€™s built very short and heavy, so she canā€™t jump but she will sure try anything!!!!

Typical crazy bulldog!!! Aka toddler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
The brand I have is Aussie Natural. I like the flap under the chin that holds the head out of the water. Nyala my brindle is the one I need to watch as sheā€™ll jump in any water...Jake I donā€™t know yet. Got him in July. You will be probably need 2 jackets till fully grown so if you can find use ones itā€™s just as good. By the summer you will probably need a medium size. They are good only if you go to a lake or beach. if youā€™re walking along a river you need to watch the currents :( Both of mine will be harnessed up on a long leash if itā€™s a simple walk along a river. When we walk them in the Rockies the river is long n so damm cold. Why itā€™s harnesses only.

We live on a small lake and also have the in ground pool. Cinder doesnā€™t have access to any of it freely, but now that Iā€™ve seen her love of water, I know she will want to play this summer. We also take a lot of water trips too so I want to be prepared. I measured Cinder now and then mentally FF >> to summer time and Iā€™m thinking medium as well for her.. i have two senior labs and Cinder has been a totally different experience for me than they were.. I love every minute of it though.. do yours enjoy the outdoors still when the weather warms up?

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Nice!!! So how big is Layla and what size is she wearing?
Lala is 38 lbs and that coat is a Medium. It would easily fit a larger Bulldog as it's cinched up as small as it will go.

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Lala is 38 lbs and that coat is a Medium. It would easily fit a larger Bulldog as it's cinched up as small as it will go.

Perfect, thank you! Cinder will be not even turn 1 until August but she weighs 24lbs now so I think ordering a medium would be a good choice..

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We live on a small lake and also have the in ground pool. Cinder doesnā€™t have access to any of it freely, but now that Iā€™ve seen her love of water, I know she will want to play this summer. We also take a lot of water trips too so I want to be prepared. I measured Cinder now and then mentally FF >> to summer time and Iā€™m thinking medium as well for her.. i have two senior labs and Cinder has been a totally different experience for me than they were.. I love every minute of it though.. do yours enjoy the outdoors still when the weather warms up?

Yes definitely we are always outdoors. Nyala the brindle one was trained as a pup to walk a lot. Nyala walks 4-5km daily weather permitting. I live about 2hrs from the Rockies. We go often to Banff n walk, quick dips in the waters as that water is from the snow that melts from the top of the mountains. Very cold. Sometimes we go to Jasper which is further and more on the wild side so less touristic. But nice n quiet for hiking. I just got Jake in July and my breeders dogs are all born and raised outside. All her dogs have dog houses fill with straw in big runs, summer they all have umbrellas n kiddie pools. Looks like a beach lol. Jake will tolerate the cold or hot weather more than Nyala but heā€™s nowhere near in shape as Nyala when it comes to walking. Heā€™s getting there slowly. He now does one km. When we do outdoors stuff will be more with their harnesses. Rivers here will drag the pups further out so Iā€™m not risking that. I have no clue if Jake swims. Will see this summer. If I were on a lake like you, definitely start with a life jacket since you have 2 labs that are probably swimmers as sheā€™ll follow them. But do try to teach her to swim without a jacket (supervision of course) as some EB do swim. Iā€™m an outside person so EB are not really for outdoorsman as we say. But if you train them young, you will still be able do a lot of stuff outside. That being said, monitoring weather is a ā€œmustā€ for this breed.

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder

Cinder really is a dead ringer for Mini!!!

OP
EllieMay

EllieMay

Oct 6, 2019
Marshall Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cinder
Yes definitely we are always outdoors. Nyala the brindle one was trained as a pup to walk a lot. Nyala walks 4-5km daily weather permitting. I live about 2hrs from the Rockies. We go often to Banff n walk, quick dips in the waters as that water is from the snow that melts from the top of the mountains. Very cold. Sometimes we go to Jasper which is further and more on the wild side so less touristic. But nice n quiet for hiking. I just got Jake in July and my breeders dogs are all born and raised outside. All her dogs have dog houses fill with straw in big runs, summer they all have umbrellas n kiddie pools. Looks like a beach lol. Jake will tolerate the cold or hot weather more than Nyala but heā€™s nowhere near in shape as Nyala when it comes to walking. Heā€™s getting there slowly. He now does one km. When we do outdoors stuff will be more with their harnesses. Rivers here will drag the pups further out so Iā€™m not risking that. I have no clue if Jake swims. Will see this summer. If I were on a lake like you, definitely start with a life jacket since you have 2 labs that are probably swimmers as sheā€™ll follow them. But do try to teach her to swim without a jacket (supervision of course) as some EB do swim. Iā€™m an outside person so EB are not really for outdoorsman as we say. But if you train them young, you will still be able do a lot of stuff outside. That being said, monitoring weather is a ā€œmustā€ for this breed.

I donā€™t want to push Cinder into anything unhealthy for her and I often worry that I let her do to much right now.. but she is my ā€œside X sideā€ in everything I do and we are a pretty active family. She is very smart and doing fabulous with all of her training but I donā€™t let her off leash in any areas that arenā€™t ā€œhersā€ ... i think I have been worried about the heat some down here but I can accommodate with shade and water and such while we are out. Guess Iā€™ll just have to see how well she tolerates as she grows. She loves to ā€œsunā€ on the sidewalk outside her doggy door but the temps are much cooler right now. I know her black coat will draw the sun in.. I really have to watch her close because she all heart and game.. NO SELF AWARENESS at all... lol... and Iā€™m nuts about her��

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Long distance walking is not right away especially at her age. Too young. I started slowly...

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.