ChaosAndMayhem

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
We have a 3 month old English bulldog pup who HATES walks.

We are in Ontario, Canada. In fairness, itā€™s a bit brisk (27* however not exactly super cold. We have her in a warm sweater and donā€™t have her out for long. That doesnā€™t seem to matter. She loathes walking. Now she has started hiding when we say ā€œwalkā€. When she gets outside (we have to carry her out) she firmly plants her bottom in the grass and refuses to budge. This isnā€™t our first bully, so Iā€™m well aware of their stubbornness and laziness, however not as pups. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Things we have tried: grass only, pavement only, walking with another dog, walking on a harness and then a leash, sweaters and paw balm.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

We are in Ontario, Canada. In fairness, itā€™s a bit brisk (27* however not exactly super cold. We have her in a warm sweater and donā€™t have her out for long. That doesnā€™t seem to matter. She loathes walking. Now she has started hiding when we say ā€œwalkā€. When she gets outside (we have to carry her out) she firmly plants her bottom in the grass and refuses to budge. This isnā€™t our first bully, so Iā€™m well aware of their stubbornness and laziness, however not as pups. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Things we have tried: grass only, pavement only, walking with another dog, walking on a harness and then a leash, sweaters and paw balm.

Hello my Canuck. Only suggestion which works is put the leash on her in the house and have some treats in your pocket. Get at the end of the leash, call her, give her a treat wit a GOOD GIRL. Repeat. Let her also drag the leash so she gets use to it. Bare in mind a pup of 3 months old do not go for long walks. Only a block for now. Bring treats with you and now repeat outside. Make sure itā€™s healthy treats n very very tiny bits... Let us know how it goes. Oh n btw, Canada does get cold as you already know, these dogs are not meant to go out too long. - 12 max with a jacket = 15minutes only to start. Sheā€™s just a pup. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello my Canuck. Only suggestion which works is put the leash on her in the house and have some treats in your pocket. Get at the end of the leash, call her, give her a treat wit a GOOD GIRL. Repeat. Let her also drag the leash so she gets use to it. Bare in mind a pup of 3 months old do not go for long walks. Only a block for now. Bring treats with you and now repeat outside. Make sure itā€™s healthy treats n very very tiny bits... Let us know how it goes. Oh n btw, Canada does get cold as you already know, these dogs are not meant to go out too long. - 12 max with a jacket = 15minutes only to start. Sheā€™s just a pup. :)

agreed... leash on in house with lots of tiny treats. Also, until 6 months old, no down steps, it is tough on their bones, which are not fully developed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Friend sent me this. Example of a Frenchie. Interesting

2B3335FC-B178-498F-88D9-2BA0921E8257.jpeg73668C48-C4EC-482B-9FEA-57D6552F1C71.jpeg

French Bulldog BreedersLike Page
Yesterday at 10:15 AM Ā·
This is something everyone should see.

When you get your 8/10 week old puppies, please keep this image in mind. Their bones do not even touch yet. They plod around so cutely with big floppy paws and wobbly movement because their joints are entirely made up of muscle, tendons, ligaments with skin covering. Nothing is fitting tightly together or has a true socket yet.
When you run them excessively or don't restrict their exercise to stop them from overdoing it during this period you don't give them a chance to grow properly. Every big jump or excited, bouncing run causes impacts between the bones. In reasonable amounts this is not problematic and is the normal wear and tear that every animal will engage in.

But when you're letting puppy jump up and down off the lounge or bed, take them for long walks/hikes, you are damaging that forming joint. When you let the puppy scramble on tile wit no traction you are damaging the joint.

You only get the change to grow them once. A well built body is something that comes from excellent breeding and a great upbringing-BOTH, not just one.

Once grown you will have the rest of their life to spend playing and engaging in higher impact exercise. So keep it calm while they're still little baby puppies and give the gift that can only be given once.

A bit of back-story: This is a baby puppy who had a knock to his elbow and wasn't using it properly, so he was taken to the vet. There is nothing wrong in these x-rays, thankfully it is a soft tissue injury and he is expected to be fine

OP
C

ChaosAndMayhem

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Friend sent me this. Example of a Frenchie. Interesting

View attachment 117977View attachment 117978

French Bulldog BreedersLike Page
Yesterday at 10:15 AM Ā·
This is something everyone should see.

When you get your 8/10 week old puppies, please keep this image in mind. Their bones do not even touch yet. They plod around so cutely with big floppy paws and wobbly movement because their joints are entirely made up of muscle, tendons, ligaments with skin covering. Nothing is fitting tightly together or has a true socket yet.
When you run them excessively or don't restrict their exercise to stop them from overdoing it during this period you don't give them a chance to grow properly. Every big jump or excited, bouncing run causes impacts between the bones. In reasonable amounts this is not problematic and is the normal wear and tear that every animal will engage in.

But when you're letting puppy jump up and down off the lounge or bed, take them for long walks/hikes, you are damaging that forming joint. When you let the puppy scramble on tile wit no traction you are damaging the joint.

You only get the change to grow them once. A well built body is something that comes from excellent breeding and a great upbringing-BOTH, not just one.

Once grown you will have the rest of their life to spend playing and engaging in higher impact exercise. So keep it calm while they're still little baby puppies and give the gift that can only be given once.

A bit of back-story: This is a baby puppy who had a knock to his elbow and wasn't using it properly, so he was taken to the vet. There is nothing wrong in these x-rays, thankfully it is a soft tissue injury and he is expected to be fine

WOW. Thank you so much for posting this. I was not at all aware. Thank you also, to the others, for your replies. This really changes my perspective on this. Itā€™s unfortunate that we did not receive this information when we got her. It seems like something everyone should be made aware of in terms of basic care. Tho itā€™s my responsibility as owner to learn and seek the information. Thank you again for sharing this.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW. Thank you so much for posting this. I was not at all aware. Thank you also, to the others, for your replies. This really changes my perspective on this. Itā€™s unfortunate that we did not receive this information when we got her. It seems like something everyone should be made aware of in terms of basic care. Tho itā€™s my responsibility as owner to learn and seek the information. Thank you again for sharing this.

Why weā€™re here to help out others from what we know and what we learned the hard way.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], a good suggestion is to put these X-ray photos n explanation into the ā€œpuppyā€ section in EBN. Just a thought as we get asked this often. :)

OP
C

ChaosAndMayhem

Nov 30, 2019
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
Why weā€™re here to help out others from what we know and what we learned the hard way.

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], a good suggestion is to put these X-ray photos n explanation into the ā€œpuppyā€ section in EBN. Just a thought as we get asked this often. :)

Iā€™m still very new to this board and not the best with this stuff, so am still getting to know how it all works. I will look for this puppy section you speak of as I imagine many of my other questions will be already answered there. Thanks folks!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Ha-ha-ha guys, donā€™t repost this nonsense, this is obviously some person with no medical knowledge:no: of course there is structures where you see nothing, it is just not ossified yet! It is made of cartilage-like material to make growth possible.
The bones of small kids look the same on X-ray!
It doesnā€™t mean, though, that you must make your young bulldog to run marathon! Bulldogs are not well built for long runs!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Ha-ha-ha guys, donā€™t repost this nonsense, this is obviously some person with no medical knowledge:no: of course there is structures where you see nothing, it is just not ossified yet! It is made of cartilage-like material to make growth possible.
The bones of small kids look the same on X-ray!
It doesnā€™t mean, though, that you must make your young bulldog to run marathon! Bulldogs are not well built for long runs!

Yes the cartilage is so fragile and not even formed at such a young age. I personally find for new puppy owners like you said, not to push their dogs into long walks. Certain breeds like EB are not meant to start walking long distance as pups even adults. Baby steps.... :) btw the x-rays was from a veterinarian institute in the US... Iā€™ll try to find where... :detective2:

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014

Some bulldogs don't like to go for walks, period! I have one of them. If I can get him down the driveway or to the mailbox (50 ft), we are having a good day. He plants his feet and that's it. It would take a whole bag of treats in Monty's case to get him to go any distance. Hopefully, you will have better luck! He is a puppy whereas Monty was 4 when we got him and well and truly stuck in his ways so fingers crossed bribery will work for you! :D:2thumbs:

Most Reactions