Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 19

Thread: Potty Training a Bulldog

  1. #1
    Kennel Cleaner
    Location
    Nashville, Tn.
    Posts
    91
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Potty Training a Bulldog

    Is there a secret to potty training a bulldog? I have Memphis on a feeding schedule n I am feeding him a 5* food but it seems as if there is no rhyme or reason to when he "go's" He is ONLY 12 wks n I know it takes time but wanted to get suggestions while in the process... I have successfully house broke both of my yorkies so I am hoping house breaking Memphis will go as well [replacer_img]

  2. #2
    Pooper scooper Become a 4 Paw Member dontshop--adopt's Avatar
    Location
    Greenville, MS
    Posts
    27
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    With a 12-week-old puppy, I always take mine out after they eat, and encourage them to walk around. Then as soon as they potty I take them back in after lots of praise. When they nap, they go out as soon as they wake up, and after a good round of play, they go out. Other than that, I try to take them out every 30 minutes or so, and I keep them close beside me so if they start to sniff and walk around, I can pick them up and head outside with them. I always say "outside" when I open the door, and when they are a little bigger and walk to the door, when they come back in I give them a tiny pinch of a treat as soon as we walk back inside. I keep a special bag of treats right by the door that are only used as potty treats. My 7-month-old goes to work with us every day, and he still occasionally has an accident if I fail to offer him the opportunity to go outside, but now they are very rare. It is much harder if you are gone and your pup is left home alone a lot. Then it is necessary to crate them and make sure you come home as often as possible to let them out. Hope this helps!
    Champ, Dozer and Digz BEG you! Don't Shop- Adopt!

  3. #3
    Kennel Cleaner
    Location
    Nashville, Tn.
    Posts
    91
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by dontshop--adopt View Post
    With a 12-week-old puppy, I always take mine out after they eat, and encourage them to walk around. Then as soon as they potty I take them back in after lots of praise. When they nap, they go out as soon as they wake up, and after a good round of play, they go out. Other than that, I try to take them out every 30 minutes or so, and I keep them close beside me so if they start to sniff and walk around, I can pick them up and head outside with them. I always say "outside" when I open the door, and when they are a little bigger and walk to the door, when they come back in I give them a tiny pinch of a treat as soon as we walk back inside. I keep a special bag of treats right by the door that are only used as potty treats. My 7-month-old goes to work with us every day, and he still occasionally has an accident if I fail to offer him the opportunity to go outside, but now they are very rare. It is much harder if you are gone and your pup is left home alone a lot. Then it is necessary to crate them and make sure you come home as often as possible to let them out. Hope this helps!
    Thanks so much... Thats excatly what I am doing n he does so well. Its at night that he seems to explode lol... We take him out right before bed n then at 4 am when we get up but somewhere between that time he explodes ;-)

  4. #4
    Bully Bootie Duty FridayGt's Avatar
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    186
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biggie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Hey Bekah, maybe I can make a suggestion. It's always worked for me that I get the most potty out of a puppy when exploring. My puppy is 13 weeks old today and has slept straight through the night with only two accidents since day one of bringing him home. Not too shabby since the breeder litter box trained the puppies. Our little guy will usually last from about 9:30PM to about 5:45AM without crying to go out. The big help has been to make sure that his crate space is limited enough to where he can only lay down and turn around, but mostly a nice before bed walk. He'll squease out any and every last little drop of pee on a walk and this will probably help with him sleeping through the night as well!

    Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Bardwell View Post
    Thanks so much... Thats excatly what I am doing n he does so well. Its at night that he seems to explode lol... We take him out right before bed n then at 4 am when we get up but somewhere between that time he explodes ;-)

  5. #5
    Wrinkle Wiper
    Location
    Austin Tx
    Posts
    104
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella and Cali
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Yes it's rough
    Haley said it was easier with our kids because they had pampers
    Bella and Cali keep her busy

  6. #6
    Dog Park Attendant jortiz9758's Avatar
    Real Name
    Bruno's Daddy
    Location
    Pembroke Pines Florida
    Posts
    407
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruno
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    I had Bruno trained Fairly quickly at about 6 months he was accident free. I had him in a crate from the first day he was home with us. The crate needs to be small enough or in my case partitioned so that he only had space to lay down. I would not give him any water after 7pm. His last walk outside was at bout 10pm...My wife would get up at 2 am to walk him. I would get home at about 6 am and walk him again.
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic1104_1.gif

  7. #7
    Kennel Cleaner
    Location
    Nashville, Tn.
    Posts
    91
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by FridayGt View Post
    Hey Bekah, maybe I can make a suggestion. It's always worked for me that I get the most potty out of a puppy when exploring. My puppy is 13 weeks old today and has slept straight through the night with only two accidents since day one of bringing him home. Not too shabby since the breeder litter box trained the puppies. Our little guy will usually last from about 9:30PM to about 5:45AM without crying to go out. The big help has been to make sure that his crate space is limited enough to where he can only lay down and turn around, but mostly a nice before bed walk. He'll squease out any and every last little drop of pee on a walk and this will probably help with him sleeping through the night as well!
    That is awesome. I have a "puppy room" 6 x 4 that is his so that he doesnt have to be in the crate. Maybe thats the problem. I am using a Potty Patch w the fake grass n he pees on that 99.9% of the time so thats good but its the poo that is so unpredictable I take him out right before bedtime n he always poos n pees but most of the time by the time we get up at 4 he has pooed again if not twice. Again I am feeding the recommended food for him so not really sure why he is pooing so much. I am a SAHM so i also have him on a schedule through out the day...

  8. #8
    Kennel Cleaner
    Location
    Nashville, Tn.
    Posts
    91
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Memphis
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    I had Bruno trained Fairly quickly at about 6 months he was accident free. I had him in a crate from the first day he was home with us. The crate needs to be small enough or in my case partitioned so that he only had space to lay down. I would not give him any water after 7pm. His last walk outside was at bout 10pm...My wife would get up at 2 am to walk him. I would get home at about 6 am and walk him again.
    WOW, that is awesome. Memphis is ONLY 12 wks so I know that they cant begin to be potty trained this early and that it takes time but just wanting to get pointers while in the process.. I have a "puppy room" about 6 x 4 so maybe thats the problem? Maybe i should crate but being that I have this room I felt like it would be better for him.

  9. #9
    Potty Trainer PukaMiniBulldogs's Avatar
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mai, Tai, and Tiki
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Most all dogs "go" after they eat. Keep to that regiment and you'll do fine. They also tend to need to potty as soon as they wake, kinda like us!
    Last edited by PukaMiniBulldogs; 04-14-2011 at 07:09 PM.

  10. #10
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by jortiz9758 View Post
    I had Bruno trained Fairly quickly at about 6 months he was accident free. I had him in a crate from the first day he was home with us. The crate needs to be small enough or in my case partitioned so that he only had space to lay down. I would not give him any water after 7pm. His last walk outside was at bout 10pm...My wife would get up at 2 am to walk him. I would get home at about 6 am and walk him again.
    @jortiz9758..I have to tell you..Bruno is a beautiful dog!..sorry @Bekah Bardwell for going off subject.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 04-14-2011 at 06:10 PM.

  11. #11
    Bully Bootie Duty FridayGt's Avatar
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    186
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biggie
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    Quote Originally Posted by Bekah Bardwell View Post
    That is awesome. I have a "puppy room" 6 x 4 that is his so that he doesnt have to be in the crate. Maybe thats the problem. I am using a Potty Patch w the fake grass n he pees on that 99.9% of the time so thats good but its the poo that is so unpredictable I take him out right before bedtime n he always poos n pees but most of the time by the time we get up at 4 he has pooed again if not twice. Again I am feeding the recommended food for him so not really sure why he is pooing so much. I am a SAHM so i also have him on a schedule through out the day...
    Crate training is a personal preferance, but I've personally always preferred it. One of the benefits is that if done right, it'll get the pup to try to hold it instead of just relieving when the urge strikes as he has the room to get away from it.

  12. #12
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Potty Training a Bulldog

    You know we were pretty lucky with Wilson, he potty trained easy. He still has mishaps in his xpen while we're at work but that's only because he can't hold his little bladder that long. We were very diligent on getting him outside about every 15/30 minutes. It was exhausting at times but it worked. He also got LOTS of praises when he completed his job. Now he helps himself out the doggie door by himself to go.

    Wilson's also a two-time pooper. He drops a little and then carrys on and drops his bigger .

    EDIT: He's also crated at nighttime and we got up about 3 times each night. Now he can almost go every night without having to go .
    Last edited by JeannieCO; 04-15-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •