Potty Training a Bulldog

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Is there a secret to potty training a bulldog? I have Memphis on a feeding schedule n I am feeding him a 5* food but it seems as if there is no rhyme or reason to when he "go's" He is ONLY 12 wks n I know it takes time but wanted to get suggestions while in the process... I have successfully house broke both of my yorkies so I am hoping house breaking Memphis will go as well :confused:

dontshop--adopt

Jul 30, 2010
Greenville, MS
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
With a 12-week-old puppy, I always take mine out after they eat, and encourage them to walk around. Then as soon as they potty I take them back in after lots of praise. When they nap, they go out as soon as they wake up, and after a good round of play, they go out. Other than that, I try to take them out every 30 minutes or so, and I keep them close beside me so if they start to sniff and walk around, I can pick them up and head outside with them. I always say "outside" when I open the door, and when they are a little bigger and walk to the door, when they come back in I give them a tiny pinch of a treat as soon as we walk back inside. I keep a special bag of treats right by the door that are only used as potty treats. My 7-month-old goes to work with us every day, and he still occasionally has an accident if I fail to offer him the opportunity to go outside, but now they are very rare. It is much harder if you are gone and your pup is left home alone a lot. Then it is necessary to crate them and make sure you come home as often as possible to let them out. Hope this helps!

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
With a 12-week-old puppy, I always take mine out after they eat, and encourage them to walk around. Then as soon as they potty I take them back in after lots of praise. When they nap, they go out as soon as they wake up, and after a good round of play, they go out. Other than that, I try to take them out every 30 minutes or so, and I keep them close beside me so if they start to sniff and walk around, I can pick them up and head outside with them. I always say "outside" when I open the door, and when they are a little bigger and walk to the door, when they come back in I give them a tiny pinch of a treat as soon as we walk back inside. I keep a special bag of treats right by the door that are only used as potty treats. My 7-month-old goes to work with us every day, and he still occasionally has an accident if I fail to offer him the opportunity to go outside, but now they are very rare. It is much harder if you are gone and your pup is left home alone a lot. Then it is necessary to crate them and make sure you come home as often as possible to let them out. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much... Thats excatly what I am doing n he does so well. Its at night that he seems to explode lol... We take him out right before bed n then at 4 am when we get up but somewhere between that time he explodes ;-)

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
Hey Bekah, maybe I can make a suggestion. It's always worked for me that I get the most potty out of a puppy when exploring. My puppy is 13 weeks old today and has slept straight through the night with only two accidents since day one of bringing him home. Not too shabby since the breeder litter box trained the puppies. Our little guy will usually last from about 9:30PM to about 5:45AM without crying to go out. The big help has been to make sure that his crate space is limited enough to where he can only lay down and turn around, but mostly a nice before bed walk. He'll squease out any and every last little drop of pee on a walk and this will probably help with him sleeping through the night as well!

Thanks so much... Thats excatly what I am doing n he does so well. Its at night that he seems to explode lol... We take him out right before bed n then at 4 am when we get up but somewhere between that time he explodes ;-)

1badchicken

Feb 23, 2011
Austin Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella and Cali
Yes it's rough
Haley said it was easier with our kids because they had pampers :)
Bella and Cali keep her busy

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I had Bruno trained Fairly quickly at about 6 months he was accident free. I had him in a crate from the first day he was home with us. The crate needs to be small enough or in my case partitioned so that he only had space to lay down. I would not give him any water after 7pm. His last walk outside was at bout 10pm...My wife would get up at 2 am to walk him. I would get home at about 6 am and walk him again.

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
Hey Bekah, maybe I can make a suggestion. It's always worked for me that I get the most potty out of a puppy when exploring. My puppy is 13 weeks old today and has slept straight through the night with only two accidents since day one of bringing him home. Not too shabby since the breeder litter box trained the puppies. Our little guy will usually last from about 9:30PM to about 5:45AM without crying to go out. The big help has been to make sure that his crate space is limited enough to where he can only lay down and turn around, but mostly a nice before bed walk. He'll squease out any and every last little drop of pee on a walk and this will probably help with him sleeping through the night as well!

That is awesome. I have a "puppy room" 6 x 4 that is his so that he doesnt have to be in the crate. Maybe thats the problem. I am using a Potty Patch w the fake grass n he pees on that 99.9% of the time so thats good but its the poo that is so unpredictable I take him out right before bedtime n he always poos n pees but most of the time by the time we get up at 4 he has pooed again if not twice. Again I am feeding the recommended food for him so not really sure why he is pooing so much. I am a SAHM so i also have him on a schedule through out the day...

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis
I had Bruno trained Fairly quickly at about 6 months he was accident free. I had him in a crate from the first day he was home with us. The crate needs to be small enough or in my case partitioned so that he only had space to lay down. I would not give him any water after 7pm. His last walk outside was at bout 10pm...My wife would get up at 2 am to walk him. I would get home at about 6 am and walk him again.

WOW, that is awesome. Memphis is ONLY 12 wks so I know that they cant begin to be potty trained this early and that it takes time but just wanting to get pointers while in the process.. I have a "puppy room" about 6 x 4 so maybe thats the problem? Maybe i should crate but being that I have this room I felt like it would be better for him.

PukaMiniBulldogs

Mar 18, 2011
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Mai, Tai, and Tiki
Most all dogs "go" after they eat. Keep to that regiment and you'll do fine. They also tend to need to potty as soon as they wake, kinda like us!

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

[MENTION=1104]jortiz9758[/MENTION]..I have to tell you..Bruno is a beautiful dog!..sorry [MENTION=2159]Bekah Bardwell[/MENTION] for going off subject.

Last edited:

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
That is awesome. I have a "puppy room" 6 x 4 that is his so that he doesnt have to be in the crate. Maybe thats the problem. I am using a Potty Patch w the fake grass n he pees on that 99.9% of the time so thats good but its the poo that is so unpredictable I take him out right before bedtime n he always poos n pees but most of the time by the time we get up at 4 he has pooed again if not twice. Again I am feeding the recommended food for him so not really sure why he is pooing so much. I am a SAHM so i also have him on a schedule through out the day...

Crate training is a personal preferance, but I've personally always preferred it. One of the benefits is that if done right, it'll get the pup to try to hold it instead of just relieving when the urge strikes as he has the room to get away from it.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You know we were pretty lucky with Wilson, he potty trained easy. He still has mishaps in his xpen while we're at work but that's only because he can't hold his little bladder that long. We were very diligent on getting him outside about every 15/30 minutes. It was exhausting at times but it worked. He also got LOTS of praises when he completed his job. Now he helps himself out the doggie door by himself to go. :heart::up:

Wilson's also a two-time pooper. He drops a little :poo: and then carrys on and drops his bigger :poo:. :)

EDIT: He's also crated at nighttime and we got up about 3 times each night. Now he can almost go every night without having to go :).

Last edited:

FridayGt

Jan 22, 2011
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Biggie
You know we were pretty lucky with Wilson, he potty trained easy. He still has mishaps in his xpen while we're at work but that's only because he can't hold his little bladder that long. We were very diligent on getting him outside about every 15/30 minutes. It was exhausting at times but it worked. He also got LOTS of praises when he completed his job. Now he helps himself out the doggie door by himself to go. :heart::up:

Wilson's also a two-time pooper. He drops a little :poo: and then carrys on and drops his bigger :poo:. :)

EDIT: He's also crated at nighttime and we got up about 3 times each night. Now he can almost go every night without having to go :).
Biggie is a two plop dropper too. It's funny how they have that in common! lol.

OP
B

Bekah Bardwell

Apr 4, 2011
Nashville, Tn.
Bulldog(s) Names
Memphis

THANKS so much for the info! Now if I can just convince hubby to put him in his crate. He thinks its MEAN, lol... We do however keep him confined to "his" room when unsupervized ;0)

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.