Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Happy Sunday Bulldog Family,

SOOOO, I just need to let this out....

I know this is TOTALLY on us but, we have NEVER had any issues with Ellie nipping or trying to bite, however just recently she has tried to do so twice.

Once was with the FedEx lady, I did have her on a leash, and the second time was tonight, hubby went to the door while I go the money for the neighbor boy came by and was delivering popcorn we had ordered.

I am assuming this was because they were total strangers, but Ellie is usually a sweet social butterfly, so this was very scary and very upsetting to me...:*(

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I know this is TOTALLY on us but, we have NEVER had any issues with Ellie nipping or trying to bite, however just recently she has tried to do so twice.

Once was with the FedEx lady, I did have her on a leash, and the second time was tonight, hubby went to the door while I go the money for the neighbor boy came by and was delivering popcorn we had ordered.

I am assuming this was because they were total strangers, but Ellie is usually a sweet social butterfly, so this was very scary and very upsetting to me...:*(

NO, not because itā€™s strangers as you bring her to work n from what you said everyone plays or cuddles her. This is alpha. Sheā€™s doing this as itā€™s her house. :yes: Time to show her whoā€™s boss as she will control your household. You need to grab her on the spot n with a good little grab of her jowls, stretch it a bit as thatā€™s what sheā€™s using to nip, stretch n with a firm voice say...NO! Donā€™t chitchat with her as youā€™ll confuse her. Take her and if you have a kennel put her in there. Leave the door open though n just make sure she understands sheā€™s not allowed to leave the kennel/crate till you say so. Wait a good 10mins as sheā€™s a puppy.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey

Ohhhh sorry Melissa, I am so sure this was upsetting to you especially knowing how very sweet Ms. Ellie is! Question, did either the Fed Ex delivery person or the neighbor boy attempt to pet Ellie?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Ugh, I'm so sorry... I know how upsetting this can be. Walter went thru a faze like this, and now he knows that he needs to go to our bedroom if he feels unhinged. We actually had our trainer come to our house, and she got him to sequester himself if he feels like he needs to "defend" himself.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Ohhhh sorry Melissa, I am so sure this was upsetting to you especially knowing how very sweet Ms. Ellie is! Question, did either the Fed Ex delivery person or the neighbor boy attempt to pet Ellie?

Only asking because Joey was in the garage, fenced in and sitting on the other side of the fence and a complete stranger, big guy, approached the garage and reached over the gate and went for Joey head, she HATED THAT, didn't nip him but got startled and scared the guy. She HATES when stranger goes for the top of her head......

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - Thank you Helene for the good insight and advice, we are going to look into more training, sadly I do not take her to work, I SOOOO wish I could, that would be a dream come true [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] - Sue, Yes both Tried to pet Ellie, the FedEx Lady had NEVER met Ellie, and the neighbor boy has met Ellie before, and petted her, so... [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] - Tracey, Glad things worked out with Wally, definitely going to working on some training techniques with her.

This was just so shocking to us, and repeat of a past nightmare for me, as I had a previous dog bite a neighbor (Ended up at the hospital for care) when I lived at home with my parents, and Ellie has NEVER shown this kind of behavior to anyone coming to our home, I am hoping to curb STAT, and my Ellie the sweet girl she is

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] - Thank you Helene for the good insight and advice, we are going to look into more training, sadly I do not take her to work, I SOOOO wish I could, that would be a dream come true [MENTION=14995]sisters3[/MENTION] - Sue, Yes both Tried to pet Ellie, the FedEx Lady had NEVER met Ellie, and the neighbor boy has met Ellie before, and petted her, so... [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] - Tracey, Glad things worked out with Wally, definitely going to working on some training techniques with her.

This was just so shocking to us, and repeat of a past nightmare for me, as I had a previous dog bite a neighbor (Ended up at the hospital for care) when I lived at home with my parents, and Ellie has NEVER shown this kind of behavior to anyone coming to our home, I am hoping to curb STAT, and my Ellie the sweet girl she is

Could she be in pain of any type? Did either have hats or sunglasses on? Any reason she felt the need to protect you.. are you sick or stressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Could she be in pain of any type? Did either have hats or sunglasses on? Any reason she felt the need to protect you.. are you sick or stressed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She is showing NO signs of Pain, Nope neither had strange clothing or objects, She was actually with Hubby at the door, while I was getting money to give to the guest at the door, Hubby is not sick or stressed...

Heartbreaking is an understatement right now, but we will get her right

We had other company come to the house Saturday night, and she was fine...

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
She is showing NO signs of Pain, Nope neither had strange clothing or objects, She was actually with Hubby at the door, while I was getting money to give to the guest at the door, Hubby is not sick or stressed...

Heartbreaking is an understatement right now, but we will get her right

We had other company come to the house Saturday night, and she was fine...

I feel really bad for you Melissa!! Joey has done the "biting fly thing" before and backs away from delivery guy AND those strangers that try to go right for her head without saying hello. Was it more of that kind of? No lunging ?

When Joey did this I corrected the person, she felt very very threatened both times.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Omg so sorry itā€™s another member... Ellie May

geez a blond moment here...mind you my hair is more on the pinky side lolll

Well just take 1/2 of what I said... :facepalm2:

Iā€™m thinking at her age sheā€™s protecting her environment. When sheā€™s elsewhere you have no issues unless you changed something in/around her usual daily routine. Sheā€™s old enough to understand what you donā€™t accept. She is a good girl...

Maybe there was something or smell she didnā€™t like from FedEx person. Dogs can sense issues.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
I feel really bad for you Melissa!! Joey has done the "biting fly thing" before and backs away from delivery guy AND those strangers that try to go right for her head without saying hello. Was it more of that kind of? No lunging ?

When Joey did this I corrected the person, she felt very very threatened both times.

I wish I had seen her yesterday, but I didn't, and the time with FedEx Lady, Ellie was happy and seemed to just want her attention and she gently put her hand down for Ellie to sniff her and that is when she gave a warning and tried to nip, no lunging or anything.

OP
MFrey2012

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Omg so sorry itā€™s another member... Ellie May

geez a blond moment here...mind you my hair is more on the pinky side lolll

Well just take 1/2 of what I said... :facepalm2:

Iā€™m thinking at her age sheā€™s protecting her environment. When sheā€™s elsewhere you have no issues unless you changed something in/around her usual daily routine. Sheā€™s old enough to understand what you donā€™t accept. She is a good girl...

Helene, No problem sweet lady, we all have those moments. EVEN me with DARK brunette hair :ROFL::ROFL:

We are going to make her right, Team Frey got this!! :)

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I wish I had seen her yesterday, but I didn't, and the time with FedEx Lady, Ellie was happy and seemed to just want her attention and she gently put her hand down for Ellie to sniff her and that is when she gave a warning and tried to nip, no lunging or anything.

Joey has done the EXACT thing to delivery people that try to pet her, she HATES HATES HATES the UPS people, truck, uniform, everything about them. BUT she will jump into the mail delivery truck to get a pet and a treat from the mail lady.

This did not bother me a bit, I can tell when Joey is not ready to be touched by a stranger and you know, I am totally OK telling those people, "give her a chance to invite you to touch her" "ignore her until she sits for a pet"

I am no expert by any means but I THINK that the fact that she did not lunge, did not just all of a sudden become aggressive, maybe she just was not comfortable being approached that way. You know that Ms. Ellie is smart, sweet, and has wonderful parents.

I hope maybe those with YEARS of experience at this will chime in, I just don't want you feeling so bad friend :)

Edited to say: The method that I've used with Joey, giving her a second to sniff and welcome the affection has worked wonderfully, she has never bitten anyone, lunged, or anything. After her first initial meeting then she considers them friends "I know this person" "I remember this person"

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Joey has done the EXACT thing to delivery people that try to pet her, she HATES HATES HATES the UPS people, truck, uniform, everything about them. BUT she will jump into the mail delivery truck to get a pet and a treat from the mail lady.

This did not bother me a bit, I can tell when Joey is not ready to be touched by a stranger and you know, I am totally OK telling those people, "give her a chance to invite you to touch her" "ignore her until she sits for a pet"

I am no expert by any means but I THINK that the fact that she did not lunge, did not just all of a sudden become aggressive, maybe she just was not comfortable being approached that way. You know that Ms. Ellie is smart, sweet, and has wonderful parents.

I hope maybe those with YEARS of experience at this will chime in, I just don't want you feeling so bad friend :)

Edited to say: The method that I've used with Joey, giving her a second to sniff and welcome the affection has worked wonderfully, she has never bitten anyone, lunged, or anything. After her first initial meeting then she considers them friends "I know this person" "I remember this person"

182DE5D2-3CF7-46C1-B0C4-92A54DFA780A.jpeg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.